UK Ending NHS Access For Migrants

Shady

It seems like this is something that should have been done a long time ago. It's just logical and basic common sense. Foreigners will now be required to prove that they're entitled to be in the country before getting access to the countries health care system. In fact, it's pretty ridiculous that they haven't been doing that until now. The fraud and abuse of the system must be off the charts!

End of free NHS care for migrants under new bill

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10358569/End-of-free-NHS-care-for-migrants-under-new-bill.html

I know that in Ontario, you have to prove your Ontario residency, as well as have valid Canadian immigration or citizenship to apply for Ontario health insurance. Once agains, seems fairly logical. Otherwise you'd just have people visiting for the sole purpose of health care, and then leaving to go back to where they actually live. Leaving the tax payers here to pick up the tab.

My biggest objection to America instituting some type of single-payer health care system is for the same concerns. The costs would be astronomical, because they currently have a political party (the Democrats) that don't believe in borders, that have been pushing, and continue to push, for people in America illegally to have access to all of the country and states social services. An open borders policy combined with a large social safety net is a recipe for complete fiscal disaster. No one country in the world can act as the world's hospital. It's completely unaffordable, and it's time bleeding heart liberals realized this fact.

:lol: so... not a problem concern in Canada... not currently a problem concern in the U.S...... and not a significant financial problem concern in the UK - regardless of what preferred estimates might be trotted out:

To put these numbers in context, whether we are referring to £200 million (CCI's estimate), £20 million (the Government's official estimate) or £45 million (a figure calculated on the basis of the Government's internal analysis), we're talking about no more than 0.15% of the NHS's overall budget of £104 billion.

There's nothing wrong with asking migrants to contribute towards the cost of their health care or to require heath insurance for some. Britain is overcrowded now and lets in more immigrants than any other of the 27 EU countries. Their NHS is straining under the demands.

more info here

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/consultations/34-healthcare/consultation-health.pdf?view=Binary

0.15% certainly is a negligible amount. No doubt about that.

0.15% may sound negligible, but £200 million does not. There's a lot of good that can be done with that kind of money, lots of smart ways to spend it (or to not spend it). It's that kind of attitude of: "whatever, lose a few hundred million here, a few billion there, who cares, it's a negligible percentage", that contributes to government waste and inefficiency. You won't see a well-managed private company leaving $200 million on the table because "it's negligible".

So, some migrant is laying there on the street bleeding and broken after being hit by a car and you hard-asses would just leave him there if he couldn't prove he belonged here?

I think I'd rather cull people like you from the ranks of humanity instead.

The ranks of inhumanity I mean.

Edited by eyeball

So, some migrant is laying there on the street bleeding and broken after being hit by a car and you hard-asses would just leave him there if he couldn't prove he belonged here?

I think I'd rather cull people like you from the ranks of humanity instead.

The ranks of inhumanity I mean.

They couldn't leave him there, he'd be a public health hazard. Over here we set aside an area of the bush for road kill. They could just dump him in one of those.

Edited by bcsapper

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In the late 1970s New Zealand had an extraorinarily generous social contract that applied to..... pretty much anybody. As a tourist, all health care costs were covered if you were injured while there. What was more remarkable was that you could also collect disability payments.... as a tourist while you recovr=ered. So, let's say you broke your leg skiing.... All hospital costs and doctors bills covered, and you could get a weekly payment to help with bills until you were healed. Crazy. No wonder they went essentially bankrupt.

I can see how making health care insurance available for visitors could be beneficial to a local economy in the competition to draw in tourists but I think I'd offer it to incoming tourists and charge a premium to those who wished to buy it.

That doesnt make any sense. Are you gonna cover pre-existing conditions?

No that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

You don't think trying to compete for visitors by making more services available makes sense?

Most people that fly abroad on vacations are affluent enough to have some form of insurance that will cover any emergency healthcare needs they might have while on their vacation. I think of far greater importance than offering any kind of insurance, is simply the knowledge that a given country has advanced and trustworthy medical facilities that will be accessible should something happen. For example, whether or not New Zealand offers any kind of benefit for travelers, I would not hesitate to go there, on the other hand, some third world African country could offer all the medical insurance they want, but if the chances are that I'd be hundreds of miles away from the nearest decent medical facility... well, that's less appealing.

The whole idea of a welfare-state is based on mutual trust within society. people view themselves to be in the same boat. People throw money into the common coffin and those in need receive the money and even those people who know that they throw more money in than they receive out gladly keep on throwing money because we're all in this together.

The sense of togetherness is vital for the idea of a welfare-state to function. That feeling begins to erode very fast when people witness complete strangers who haven't paid a dime into the system and are yet claiming full benefits of the system.

There are some good articles about how multiculturalism destroys the trust within communities. I'll try to find some.

Edited by -TSS-

The sense of togetherness is vital for the idea of a welfare-state to function. That feeling begins to erode very fast when people witness complete strangers who haven't paid a dime into the system and are yet claiming full benefits of the system.

Nothing erodes my ass faster than witnessing the corporate-welfare state that rigs the system to make the world safe for corporations which, strangely enough, are people too.

There are some good articles about how multiculturalism destroys the trust within communities. I'll try to find some.

They're probably below the shelf with all the warm fuzzy articles maintaining that corporations are the best thing since sliced bread.