New TV season... anything good on?

kimmy

Coming on April 5: Wolf Hall on PBS.

Now this series should appeal to every poster here.

It's all about political intrigue, chicanery and dirty tricks at the very top of the political pile.

As it happens, this pile is England in Tudor times, the early 1500s when Henry VIII became King and the world turned upside down.

It's based on what I think are two must-read, superb books by Hilary Mantel: Wolf Hall and Bring Out the Bodies. Few authors are as intelligent or agile as Mantel.

If it is half as good as the books, this is one you should watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So seriously, no one on this board, other than me, has opinions on Better Call Saul?

Next week is the season finale. I'm very much enjoying this show. It may be because I would take anything from the creators of Breaking Bad and like it but I really do care about the character that would become Saul in Breaking Bad. And you really can't get enough of Mike from Breaking Bad, so seeing his origin story is an absolute treat.

Edited by Boges

So seriously, no one on this board, other than me, has opinions on Better Call Saul?

I started watching it, and I like it a lot.

Next week is the season finale. I'm very much enjoying this show. It may be because I would take anything from the creators of Breaking Bad and like it but I really do care about the character that would become Saul in Breaking Bad. And you really can't get enough of Mike from Breaking Bad, so seeing his origin story is an absolute treat.

The ability of the creative team to tell a great story just amazes me week after week. They tell different types of stories, too - one week it's a lawyer bit, the next week it's a cop story.

The interesting thing is how they treat the prequel, and how the show benefits and is weighed down by Breaking Bad. They don't have the premise of Walt's disease and the moral question that shaped the story arc, which frees the writing, I think. There is a bit of a problem, though, in that they have to take Saul - a clown - and make him a real boy in retrospect. Telling Mike's backstory is something that would have hurt Breaking Bad, and it changes the character quite a bit but they need to do that in order to keep people interested, I think.

I love that Bob Odenkirk is having a big success after such a long career, and especially after his amazing Mr. Show which is truly one of the lost gems of television.

I started watching Better Call Saul too. I'm only a few episodes in but I like it as much as I liked Breaking Bad, which is to say it's one of my favourite shows of all time already. It takes the dark humour of Breaking Bad and delivers that gold every episode. The writing is top notch and so is the direction. The way the scenes are shot in this show are always interesting and creative. It's not something I would usually notice, but Gilligan's direction is phenomenal.

The writing is top notch and so is the direction. The way the scenes are shot in this show are always interesting and creative. It's not something I would usually notice, but Gilligan's direction is phenomenal.

I concur. I often notice how much I got sucked into a story, beyond being aware of where I am... pretty hard to do with me as I'm always second-guessing the writing in my head.

I haven't seen CSI:Cyber yet. I gather that it does for computing forensics what CSI did for crime scene forensics, which is roughly the same as what the Creation Museum does for anthropology.

tyMnhod.png

@/boring_as_heck/status/573186341187428352/photo/1

-k

And... Mad Men's last season started last night.

I actually resent that the marketing campaign around that show seems to have no clue what it's about. They alternately market it as a sweeping historical melodrama a la "Roots", except white, and as a quirky fashion-fest ... like "Swingers" but set in the day.

And... Mad Men's last season started last night.

I actually resent that the marketing campaign around that show seems to have no clue what it's about. They alternately market it as a sweeping historical melodrama a la "Roots", except white, and as a quirky fashion-fest ... like "Swingers" but set in the day.

the creator and producer Matt Weiner is notoriously close-mouthed about releasing any advance info on Mad Men and other series he has worked on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last year there were lots of talk about True Detective. This year crickets? I thought the finale was quite sad, but even though it wasn't as good as the Marty and Rust Bromance last year, it was most certainly worthwhile TV.

This season might be better binge watched though.