The Truth About Obamacare

How would you manage that?

I live in the bush. I hunt for my living, maybe grow a few crops for personal consumption. That would be the baldest example.

Realistically, if I earn a very minimal salary and have a family then I pay no income taxes, and in fact, get a huge refund. I pay GST but get a refund for that too. So in essence, I don't really pay any taxes.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I think you're so utterly ignorant about the reality of the situation in the U.S. that you can't present the facts accurately.

So no, "truth" is hardly what I was going for. :)

Are you disputing what I said? Are you denying these health care clinics regularly draw thousands of desperate people, some of whom camp out for days in hopes of getting their illnesses looked at?

Guest American Woman

Are you disputing what I said? Are you denying these health care clinics regularly draw thousands of desperate people, some of whom camp out for days in hopes of getting their illnesses looked at?

I'm disputing the way you are presenting it. The people you refer to are being serviced by other Americans - through an organization started in Tennessee, in fact - and would have access to healthcare elsewhere in the state. Free healthcare. They are living in such a rural area that there are no facilities in the immediate area. You think that situation doesn't exist in Canada? If so, think again.

I'm disputing the way you are presenting it. The people you refer to are being serviced by other Americans - through an organization started in Tennessee, in fact - and would have access to healthcare elsewhere in the state. Free healthcare. They are living in such a rural area that there are no facilities in the immediate area. You think that situation doesn't exist in Canada? If so, think again.

You didn't read any of the cites, did you?

LA is not a rural area, nor is Washington DC.

Do you have even the slightest trace of empathy for such people? Do you even know anyone who is poor?

Guest American Woman

You didn't read any of the cites, did you?

LA is not a rural area, nor is Washington DC.

I was responding to your post about Tennessee.

Do you have even the slightest trace of empathy for such people? Do you even know anyone who is poor?

Poor people get free healthcare in the U.S. That includes LA and Washington, D.C.

I could give you some stories about Canadians who weren't getting treated in a timely manner coming to the U.S. for treatment. Wanna play that game?

nonsense! I picked up on the Tennessee reference you disparaged MLW member Argus over. I highlighted the Remote Area Medical group that shifted a significant focus of their work away from 3rd world scenarios and into the U.S. I linked up a video that played off the CBS 60 Minutes 'expose' that showcased the work RAM performs in the U.S.. Your "remote" isn't so remote when it jumps forward in that second video I provided; the one centered around Inglewood California... the one that serviced 8000 patients, the one labeled the largest such 'free healthcare' operation in the United States. The other stat I included was that RAM has performed over 550 of these 'free heathcare operations' across the United States.

Poor people get free healthcare in the U.S. That includes LA and Washington, D.C.

ya, that's being acknowledged... highlighted! That Remote Area Medical group, for one, does great work in servicing thousands upon thousands of Americans. I am quite confused though as you seem to suggest that "free healthcare" is readily available to all these people leveraging the RAM group initiatives... that it's available to them separate/outside of the RAM group efforts/initiatives. It truly begs the question as to why all these thousands upon thousands of Americans don't avail themselves of all that "free healthcare" you describe... separate from the RAM efforts/initiatives. Inquiring minds......

Sure you can. For you it might be free. Collectively as a population it is not free. When you don't pay your fair share the cost goes up for those that do.

And if you need to go to a hospital, you should get there on your own. Ambulance rides cost quite a bit these days.

You're being pedantic. It's a universal single-payer system. Regardless of your ability to pay, you get covered. Health care is not free and nobody thinks it is. People are well aware that it costs money. The point is that care does not depend on a user's ability to pay.

I have not seen any study of American health care which puts it above Canada. In terms of its comparison to the rest of the world, it never leads in anything.

That's because you don't want to "see" any such rankings. The U.S. ranks first in several categories of health care metrics, while Canada ranks first in none. This has been discussed in previous threads.

You are being disengenuous, which is fairly typical for you....

....It's funny how so many in the US pump their chests and spout bible phrases at the drop of a hat, but have so very little interest in basic Christian concepts about helping their fellow man. In fact, it seems the more one adhers to the Christian right the less one cares for anyone's welfare but their own.

Thank you....as exposing the great myth of "free" Canadian health care is jolly good fun.

As for your typical generalizations and insults for Christians and the U.S., save it for your Anglican queen. I am not a Christian.

I think the problem is some Americans are so utterly ignorant about life in their country for those who don't have their money and security and so utterly lacking in imagination they seem to think everyone has it as good as them.

Yeah, just like a lot of Canadians....so what ? Now go complain about not having cheaper prices and better Netflix like the "ignorant" Americans.

Realistically, if I earn a very minimal salary and have a family then I pay no income taxes, and in fact, get a huge refund. I pay GST but get a refund for that too. So in essence, I don't really pay any taxes.

This is false, as there are many other taxes and structural charges that you would still pay. All eligible Canadians are not earning such minimum salaries anyway, so the point is moot. Health care in Canada is one of the most expensive "universal" access systems in the world, but is plagued by long waiting lists, provincial disparities, GP gatekeepers, and lack of competition.

Guest American Woman

This is false, as there are many other taxes and structural charges that you would still pay. All eligible Canadians are not earning such minimum salaries anyway...

If they were, there would be no health care services.

I was responding to your post about Tennessee.

No, they actually don't. If you're on welfare you quality. If you're working poor you're out of luck.

But I guess since you don't know anyone who's poor or have any experience with what it's like to be poor you don't know that.

Edited by Argus

That's because you don't want to "see" any such rankings. The U.S. ranks first in several categories of health care metrics, while Canada ranks first in none. This has been discussed in previous threads.

Interesting that an alleged conservative hasn't the slightest interest or care in having a system which is enormously more expensive than anywhere else on Earth yet produces results which are generally well down the ladder in terms of outcomes. Needless inefficiency and waste don't seem to concern you much unless it's done by government.

But then you've pretty much acknowledged that as far as public services go you're one of those 'I'm-all-right'jack' types who couldn't care less what happens to anyone else.

No, they actually don't. If you're on welfare you quality. If you're working poor you're out of luck.

More falsehoods....many states have health care programs that subsidize working families with incomes below a certain multiple of the federal poverty level. Matching funds from the feds help to finance the programs. Colleges and universities have clinics and "free" services for students. Veterans have V.A. programs that are means tested, but not necessarily "for welfare only".

Keep pretending you know what you are talking about...including "poor" people in the U.S.

Interesting that an alleged conservative hasn't the slightest interest or care in having a system which is enormously more expensive than anywhere else on Earth yet produces results which are generally well down the ladder in terms of outcomes. Needless inefficiency and waste don't seem to concern you much unless it's done by government.

But then you've pretty much acknowledged that as far as public services go you're one of those 'I'm-all-right'jack' types who couldn't care less what happens to anyone else.

Government employees like you are never to be taken too seriously....you are part of the problem...not any solution. I pay for public and private services, and never have to cross the border to escape the kind of cluster that is health care in Canada.

Government employees like you are never to be taken too seriously....you are part of the problem...not any solution. I pay for public and private services, and never have to cross the border to escape the kind of cluster that is health care in Canada.

Weren't you going to tell us how much you pay, or who pays for you?

Guest American Woman

But I guess since you don't know anyone who's poor or have any experience with what it's like to be poor you don't know that.

I know more about it than you'll ever know. The "working poor" most certainly do qualify for help with medical needs.

Weren't you going to tell us how much you pay, or who pays for you?

My employer and spouse's employer pay a portion of the insurance premiums and we pay the rest, along with any co-pays and deductibles. This is how many Americans and dependents get there health/dental/eyecare/disability/life insurance, and they are mostly satisfied with it.

I think such insurance should be de-coupled from employment, but I guess it beats having to depend on government wonks instead.

My employer and spouse's employer pay a portion of the insurance premiums and we pay the rest, along with any co-pays and deductibles. This is how many Americans and dependents get there health/dental/eyecare/disability/life insurance, and they are mostly satisfied with it.

I think such insurance should be de-coupled from employment, but I guess it beats having to depend on government wonks instead.

Maybe, until you're fired and can't get new insurance because you or your child have an ongoing condition - or desperately wish you could leave your employer but can't because of the above. Or maybe until your insurance company sends you a letter telling you you've used up your one million, or whatever your coverage is, and have to pay for the remainder of your cancer care or heart care yourself.

People satisfied with a sub-standard status quo generally are just ignorant of the alternatives.

I know more about it than you'll ever know. The "working poor" most certainly do qualify for help with medical needs.

Which is why they camp outside overnight desperate to get in to see an occasional visiting clinic. Sure.

Edited by Argus