The Truth About Obamacare

That is exactly what they should do if they were smart. If Obamacare fails, Republicans will control both houses of Congress possibly as early as 2014 but most certainly by 2016 along with the White House....a clean sweep. Obamacare maybe the program that will fulfill Karl Rove’s dream of establishing a permanent Republican majority.

You think that many Americans will be outraged at being able to get health care now?

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obamacare has so many faults that I can't believe it was passed in the first place. It boggles the mind, actually - especially since there's virtually no way for the government to collect the fine if someone who doesn't buy insurance refuses to pay the penalty.

What is your preferred alternative to the ACA?

Anyways, another Obamacare success story! Argus should love this, cause she's "able to get health care now." :rolleyes:

My name is Ashley Dionne and I’m a 26-year-old recent graduate from Michigan.
I have asthma, ulcers, and mild cerebral palsy. Obamacare takes my monthly rate from $75 a month for full coverage on my “Young Adult Plan,” to $319 a month. After $6,000 in deductibles, of course.

Liberals claimed this law would help the poor. I am the poor, the working poor, and I can’t afford to support myself, let alone older generations and people not willing to work at all.

This law has raped my future.

It will keep me and kids my age from having a future at all.

This is the real face of Obamacare and it isn’t pretty

http://therealashleydionne.tumblr.com/post/63398904909/the-rape-of-a-generation

Yay for Obamacare, and yay for compassion for the poor! Cause symbolism is always better than substance. If you think you're helping somebody, isn't that all that really matters? :rolleyes:

Yay for Obamacare, and yay for compassion for the poor! Cause symbolism is always better than substance. If you think you're helping somebody, isn't that all that really matters? :rolleyes:

compassion for the poor, Shady? You're concerned... about the poor? Your linked blogger, the self-described "freedom loving American" appears quite enamored with her new found celebrity... quite giddy, in fact, with a mention that Rush Limpballs read her letter over his "freedom loving" radio show. In any case, one only needs to quote from her blog, in her own words, to put the proper perspective in place:

Anonymous asked: Ashley, if your story is true, you qualify for the Medicaid expansion. If you choose not to accept the provisions the Affordable Care Act made for people in your situation -- a huge chunk of funds to the States so they could cover their working poor without breaking their own budgets -- that's not the fault of Obamacare. Please stop spreading lies about programs that would really help you if you let them.

Freedom loving Ashley responded: I’m not spreading any lies. Just because I qualify for government aid doesn't mean I want it.

compassion for the poor, Shady? You're concerned... about the poor? Your linked blogger, the self-described "freedom loving American" appears quite enamored with her new found celebrity... quite giddy, in fact, with a mention that Rush Limpballs read her letter over his "freedom loving" radio show. In any case, one only needs to quote from her blog, in her own words, to put the proper perspective in place:

Anonymous asked: Ashley, if your story is true, you qualify for the Medicaid expansion. If you choose not to accept the provisions the Affordable Care Act made for people in your situation -- a huge chunk of funds to the States so they could cover their working poor without breaking their own budgets -- that's not the fault of Obamacare. Please stop spreading lies about programs that would really help you if you let them.

Freedom loving Ashley responded: I’m not spreading any lies. Just because I qualify for government aid doesn't mean I want it.

Damn that's a first class owning if I've ever seen one. That Republican sock puppet is having a baaaad day.

o-I-AM-OBAMACARE-570.jpg?6

Hey lady, 50% of adult Americans have a preexisting condition, but some of them were smart enough to get insurance prior to getting sick. I say this was her own fault. Repubs, can I get a hell yeah!! Joe the plumber wouldn't have let himself get sick. If he did, he'd 'man up', suffer and die in silence like a true patriot. You're either with us or against us!

It doesn't sound as if "high volume" is the problem.

Todd Park, the White House’s Chief Technology Officer, said that “at lower volumes, it would work fine,” an excuse that has already become the butt of software-industry jokes. We’re constantly told that there are 50 million uninsured Americans who are desperate for subsidized health coverage. But the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, with its $1 trillion-a-year budget, can’t anticipate the need to build a system that can handle the average daily traffic of the Drudge Report?

The government can afford a computerized military with huge datacenters for security and control and spying, but cannot afford the same type of facility to handle health care? Spend money to kill but not to save?

The government can afford a computerized military with huge datacenters for security and control and spying, but cannot afford the same type of facility to handle health care? Spend money to kill but not to save?

Actually they've spent a ton of money on the implementation of the unaffordable care act.

There are lots of faults with Obamacare (forcing people to buy insurance, keeping healthcare tied to employment, more red tape facing small businesses, etc), but the initial website problems are not one of them. Seriously, have you guys never seen a new website/online product launch? There's always problems when you first open your system to millions of users, ALWAYS.

How many times are you going to ask this before you realize that the silence is deafening?

Can't hurt to ask... I am attempting to actually stimulate a conversation beyond "Obamacare sucks" with the person on the board who is an actual American and may have some first hand knowledge and know people who may be affected by the changes and should have some insightful ideas on how American medical coverage could be improved. But it doesn't seem to be working. All she has said on the subject is "Obamacare sucks"...

It makes me wonder if she even knows how the ACA works, or even medical coverage systems in general.

If not the ACA, then what? Single payer? That would never make it past Congress... Status quo? Leave people to fend for themselves if they get sick? That's not a good option...

Guest American Woman

There are lots of faults with Obamacare (forcing people to buy insurance, keeping healthcare tied to employment, more red tape facing small businesses, etc), but the initial website problems are not one of them. Seriously, have you guys never seen a new website/online product launch? There's always problems when you first open your system to millions of users, ALWAYS.

"There's always problems when you first open your system to millions of users, ALWAYS."

Yet the government blamed it on high volume and said it would work just fine were it not for the unexpectedly high volume - which is being presented as evidence that everyone and his brother is eager to sign up for it.

Boehner asked a great question. How can you fine people for not buying a product from a website that doesn't even work?

http://thehill.com/video/house/327489-boehner-obamacare-threatens-fines-but-fails-to-deliver-care

I'm glad you're onboard for universal single-payer healthcare too. Good to see you come around. :rolleyes:

Guest American Woman

I do not think people should be denied insurance for pre-existing conditions that they were born with. No way. But to be denied for conditions that developed later, like the tumors the woman in the photo refers to, is debatable to me. Why would anyone buy health insurance when they are healthy and don't need it rather than wait until they were sick and need care - and then buy it? It would be much cheaper to do that. Sort of like not buying car insurance unless/until you are in an accident - and then complaining because the insurance company won't let you buy insurance to cover the cost of having the car repaired.

I do not think people should be denied insurance for pre-existing conditions that they were born with. No way. But to be denied for conditions that developed later, like the tumors the woman in the photo refers to, is debatable to me.

Science has now indentified genes in DNA that trigger diseases later on in life, ergo they were born with the predisposition.

As science improves it is a question we will have to answer, can they use that or not as a reason to deny?

Now what?

I do not think people should be denied insurance for pre-existing conditions that they were born with. No way. But to be denied for conditions that developed later, like the tumors the woman in the photo refers to, is debatable to me. Why would anyone buy health insurance when they are healthy and don't need it rather than wait until they were sick and need care - and then buy it? It would be much cheaper to do that. Sort of like not buying car insurance unless/until you are in an accident - and then complaining because the insurance company won't let you buy insurance to cover the cost of having the car repaired.

There are implications, though. If you're sick and working for the company providing your insurance, you can't ever quit, which means you're basically a slave to that company. Also, you may not know about your pre-existing condition when you go to buy insurance, at any point in your life.

Guest American Woman

There are implications, though. If you're sick and working for the company providing your insurance, you can't ever quit, which means you're basically a slave to that company. Also, you may not know about your pre-existing condition when you go to buy insurance, at any point in your life.

In the example I was referring to, it sounds as if she knew about it before applying for insurance; that she applied because she needed surgery,

As for the other example, why couldn't you keep your insurance policy even if you quit your job if you continue to pay for it? The insurance company shouldn't be able to cancel an existing policy. Clearly I was referring to people who have no insurance and then want to purchase it once they find out they have a health issue. Even now what's to stop people from doing that? The fine is cheaper than buying insurance (and there's actually not much the government can do to collect the fines), and since the insurance company can't turn anyone down, what's to stop people from doing just that? I imagine that could drive the cost of health insurance up considerably.

As for the other example, why couldn't you keep your insurance policy even if you quit your job if you continue to pay for it?

The fine is cheaper than buying insurance (and there's actually not much the government can do to collect the fines), and since the insurance company can't turn anyone down, what's to stop people from doing just that? I imagine that could drive the cost of health insurance up considerably.

Well, it doesn't work that way. Your employer pays for your premiums, so they'd be paying for every employee who worked for them, who was sick I think. It sounds more complicated, and has the same basic effect as insurers will likely be impacted equally by this new policy as they would be under the current legislation.

What's to stop people from paying the fine, then getting insurance when they're sick ? It sounds like not much.

As for the other example, why couldn't you keep your insurance policy even if you quit your job if you continue to pay for it? The insurance company shouldn't be able to cancel an existing policy.

As a pooled risk within companies, the rates are generally cheaper than single person policies.They should be able to keep it , but the Ins Co should be able to re-risk the client and charge accordingly.

Obamacare takes my monthly rate from $75 a month for full coverage on my “Young Adult Plan,” to $319 a month. After $6,000 in deductibles, of course.

Why would she give up her Young Adult Plan that was so affordable? There is nothing in Obamacare that says she has to change plans. She can stay on this plan until she reaches age 30 according to this website.

http://www.bcbsm.com/index/2013-plans/michigan-health-insurance/affordable-health-insurance/young-adult-blue-max.html