Area with highest gas

Topaz

Metro Vancouver has the highest gas prices in NA at a 1.40+, while Toronto is at 1.30 and Calgary is around $1.11 and in my SW Ontario, we're at $1.20. Even though the the gas and oil inustry has said we would see lower gas prices with the W-E pipeline, it would only reduce the prices maybe 3-4 cents, by the following video. I wonder how people are making it with more increases on thier pay cheques? http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1410033

Gas Prices have actually stayed rather steady for the last 5 years. Occasional Spikes due to hurricanes are Mideast concerns but, at least here in Ontario, it's stayed between $1.15-$1.35.

I think once it gets above $1.35 people really start to scale back their usage and the economy suffers.

In Montreal and Vancouver taxes are the main culprit for the huge prices.

I have no idea how gas in TO costs $1.315 and when I stop north of Orillia it is $1.215 .

Higher costs to transport , in the middle of almost nowhere....so I dont fill up in the city, just enought ot get me past Webers and save some money.

True horror is.......$1.70 a litre at the marina. Yikes!

I have no idea how gas in TO costs $1.315 and when I stop north of Orillia it is $1.215 .

Higher costs to transport , in the middle of almost nowhere....so I dont fill up in the city, just enought ot get me past Webers and save some money.

True horror is.......$1.70 a litre at the marina. Yikes!

Yep that's a new trend, I'm discovering. Gas Stations outside of the GTA are a lot lower, like up to $10 cents lower.

It's almost like they are preparing people to shop there when and if Wynne actually decides to make the GTA pay an additional gas tax to pay for transportation.

I've almost ignored the Toronto Gas Prices Today announcements because I know if I take a 20 minute or so drive I'll find a station that's selling gas a lot cheaper.

Edited by Boges

I've almost ignored the Toronto Gas Prices Today announcements because I know if I take a 20 minute or so drive I'll find a station that's selling gas a lot cheaper.

Ok but doesnt the 20 minute drive negate the cost savings? In my case I am going right by them and thus makes sense. No way would I hunt for more than 5 mins to save what amounts to be $4 savings.

Ok but doesnt the 20 minute drive negate the cost savings? In my case I am going right by them and thus makes sense. No way would I hunt for more than 5 mins to save what amounts to be $4 savings.

Not if it's on the highway without traffic. Most of the time I'm going out that way too though.

I'm continually amazed at the range of gas prices within Winnipeg. There's usually more than 20 cents/litre price gap at stations that I'd pass by anyway.

What I do, is use the "Gas Buddy" phone app to show me what the prices are around town. It just shows me the current prices, and I can sort by proximity to my current location, or by price. More often than not, I can find a place at the lowest end of the price range within a few blocks of the highest price ones I'd be most likely to go to by default.

I'm continually amazed at the range of gas prices within Winnipeg. There's usually more than 20 cents/litre price gap at stations that I'd pass by anyway.

What I do, is use the "Gas Buddy" phone app to show me what the prices are around town. It just shows me the current prices, and I can sort by proximity to my current location, or by price. More often than not, I can find a place at the lowest end of the price range within a few blocks of the highest price ones I'd be most likely to go to by default.

Gas Buddy is a great site.

Montreal and Vancouver both add municipal gasoline taxes in addition to the federal and provincial taxes. In addition to the GST, there is a special federal excise tax of 10 cents per litre that amounts to a carbon dioxide tax since it is close to a $20/tonne charge.

I was recently in New Hampshire and (low) gasoline prices were around $3.70 per US gallon which is just above $1/litre. Various gasoline taxes in Canada are about 20-35 cents per litre.

I was also in Europe this summer (Belgium and Germany) and diesel prices were about €1.40 per litre. With the mileage on a diesel engine, fuel costs were about the same as in Canada.

Curiously, diesel costs more than gasoline in North America. In Europe, it's the opposite.

As a rule of thumb, I take the world price of crude in US dollars per barrel, and add 35 to get the Canadian price of gasoline in cents per litre.

Edited by August1991

Gas Prices have actually stayed rather steady for the last 5 years. Occasional Spikes due to hurricanes are Mideast concerns but, at least here in Ontario, it's stayed between $1.15-$1.35.

I think once it gets above $1.35 people really start to scale back their usage and the economy suffers.

But if you go back 5 years, that was the start of the gas price shock of over 1.50/ltr. (At least on the west coast in the summer of 2008)) Prior to that gas ranged around a 1.00/ltr. The last five years have been crazy. And I guess crazy is the new normal, but with the price continually jumping around to increase profits, I for one am not agreeable to it.

Edited by sharkman

Taco Bell?

Kimmy, you fail to note that a truck using (expensive NA) diesel fuel delivered the ingredients of your organic falafel to your preferred restaurant.

hmm? Not really sure what you're getting at, August.

I am not really into "organic", and I've never eaten "falafel" in my life.

And I'm fully aware of the importance of diesel in transporting goods. Especially where I live, where *everything* we get is delivered by highway truck.

-k

Guest Derek L

hmm? Not really sure what you're getting at, August.

I am not really into "organic", and I've never eaten "falafel" in my life.

And I'm fully aware of the importance of diesel in transporting goods. Especially where I live, where *everything* we get is delivered by highway truck.

-k

I'd have thought in your parts, calling a person a falafel eater would be a fighting words :P

Filled my Imperial Star Destroyer before dinner with diesel at Esso in Burnaby/Coquitlam and it was 142.9 per litre + a Kidney.....

Guest Derek L

Ouch! 1.28 up the valley but I am doing most of my filling up south of the border these days.

Yeah, when I make my way out (mostly Mission) there I generally fill both tanks.....That's nothing though, the wife just filled her hover barge with 91 at 161.9 :angry:

We use to pop over the Port Mann before the toll, even then though, who goes out of their way to go to Surrey?

Getting gas in Surrey BC, for those that know nothing about the place, goes like this:

:lol:

Ouch! 1.28 up the valley but I am doing most of my filling up south of the border these days.

I've been doing some of that being that my car requires 91 octane. I've saved over 16 on one tank, but there are so many no name brand stations in Sumas, I'm a little reluctant on some of that gas. And plus, everyone has caught on to the savings in the States these days for shopping and it's cramping my style. I popped over the line at 3:30pm on a Tuesday to pick up a package, and the line up getting back was about an hour! I said screw it and went shopping and had supper in Bellingham.

I've been doing some of that being that my car requires 91 octane. I've saved over 16 on one tank, but there are so many no name brand stations in Sumas, I'm a little reluctant on some of that gas. And plus, everyone has caught on to the savings in the States these days for shopping and it's cramping my style. I popped over the line at 3:30pm on a Tuesday to pick up a package, and the line up getting back was about an hour! I said screw it and went shopping and had supper in Bellingham.

I have one oil burner and two that use 91. I'm OK with no name for the diesel and one of the 91's if it is from a high volume station. The other is a rather new, somewhat expensive (for me at least) Krautmobile and I will only use brand name Top Tier stuff in it, which means gassing up at home or going a bit farther south. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to the border so stay away when it's busy. Got a Nexus interview next month though.

Amazing how similar Canada is to the US on some things. Pretty similar breakdown here as well. Tougher regulations, higher cost of living states like California, New York etc. versus less stringent regs, lower cost of living states like Texas. Some local variations though. More touristy areas usually have higher excise taxes on gas to get visitors paying in.

• 3 months later...

Gas is cheaper in Yukon than it is in BC. The fuel sold in YT is trucked via BC.

Insane.

(as sourced from Natural Resources Canada): in this 4 week average of regular gas pump prices (sept 10-to-October 1, 2013)... a couple of cents difference in the case of Whitehorse versus Vancouver: federal taxes are on par, Yukon territory taxes are less than BC provincial taxes... the crux of any distinction sits with "Gasoline Refining and Marketing Margins".

xbftxz.jpg

Edited by waldo