Let's Talk About Shaving

Recently, the major razor companies were whining that the "hipster" beard trend is ruining their razor sales. A pack of Gillette Fusion blades costs nearly $35 for 8. I've decided that I'm going to switch to a double-edged Merkur safety razor (kit also has a top quality badger hair brush) and see if I can get the knack for that down. There's a fantastic Canadian site with great deals on shaving supplies. I don't want this thread deleted as "spam," so if anyone's interested let me know and I'll pass along the details. So what are we shaving with these days, gentlemen?

Edited by cybercoma

Fusion here too. I can make a blade last two weeks max, but no shaving on Sundays or weekends I am alone at the cottage.,....ever !

Also shave in the shower everyday and no problems.

Apparently the blades dont go dull but the minerals in our water accumulate on the blade itself, anyone know about this?

And yes....the price is completely ridiculous.

Don't buy razors anymore, I got tired of constantly being fleeced. Instead I took the one time hit and bought a high end Braun electric. Although it doesn't shave as close as a blade it does do a good job. Faster, more convenient and no constant expense, I like that.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

Don't buy razors anymore, I got tired of constantly being fleeced. Instead I took the one time hit and bought a high end Braun electric. Although it doesn't shave as close as a blade it does do a good job. Faster, more convenient and no constant expense, I like that.

Wish I could agree w you Angus, I too have a high end Braun, but man, not even close to a razor shave. Use it but once a year.

I also have a high end Braun. I only use it to trim under the chin, and in hard to reach places. It is nothing near as good as a blade. I have heard, however, that if you stop using blades period, the shaver will wind up improving. Something about blades producing scar tissue which makes it hard for the electric razor to shave closely.

And yes....the price is completely ridiculous.

Don't worry, guys! Help is on the way!

(this is the best advertisement I have seen in a while.)

-k

{"I'm no Vanderbilt, but this train makes hay!"}

Edited by kimmy

Ladies shave too, don't exclude sir.

True. We're not growing out beards, but with all the permanent hair-removal solutions out there, I can see the decline of razor sales being applicable to our gender too.

I bucked up a few years ago and I haven't touched a razor since. It's awesome!

Edited by BC_chick

I've tried electric. Top of the line Philips and my neck can't take it. Tried everything from shaving in the shower to high end aftershaves to preshave oil. It helped, but I'd still get burn really bad. After 3 mos hoping my skin would adjust, I had to go back to razors.

I've tried electric. Top of the line Philips and my neck can't take it. Tried everything from shaving in the shower to high end aftershaves to preshave oil. It helped, but I'd still get burn really bad. After 3 mos hoping my skin would adjust, I had to go back to razors.

Same here. Every electric shaver I've tried has burned my neck something fierce.

Blades are expensive, but there are ways to minimize it. I have several handles of different brands of razors, and I only buy blades that are on sale and/or I have coupon for (preferably both). No matter which one I can get the best price on, I always have a handle that will use them. Once I got the triple discount: blades already on sale, and a $2 off coupon, and I paid for them using my Shopper's Optimum points.

I gave up, my skin reacts poorly to close shaving whether electric or razor. Now I just keep a short trimmed beard. Only takes about 1 minute every morning to trim it to length, no skin issues, no razor expenses. And most people tell me it looks better too...

Any back shaving tips? I'm fair haired and not very furry but I still don't like the fuzz that grows back there. I used to ask my wife to do it but I prefer to handle it myself. It's not exactly a romantic job. Anyway, I take care of it by tethering a razor to a long handled shower brush. Has anyone tried any products meant for the task?

=) A perfect Tim the toolman solution!

True story, a woman I hang with in the summer (shes a teacher thus off all summer) pretty much goes barefoot at the cottage. Morning noon and night. If she comes over she is 99% of the time shoeless.

She has to use a sander come Sept 1 to get rid of the calluses that build up. If she doesnt her dress shoes wont fit.

Blades are expensive, but there are ways to minimize it. I have several handles of different brands of razors, and I only buy blades that are on sale and/or I have coupon for (preferably both). No matter which one I can get the best price on, I always have a handle that will use them. Once I got the triple discount: blades already on sale, and a $2 off coupon, and I paid for them using my Shopper's Optimum points.

That's a really good idea. Do you prefer a particular blade over others, since you've tried so many? I had the best luck with Schick products, believe it or not. I got the new Fusion Glide on sale when I tossed my electric and these have been better than the Schick Quattros that I used to use.

In any case, I'm looking forward to learning how to use a safety razor, since blades cost about $0.10 each.