Beer

I've been visiting Bellwoods Brewery a lot of late. Their Roman Candle IPA is one of my favourites. I had a bottle of their Grizzly Beer brown ale as wel, that was fantastic and I've an imperial stout in the fridge for the first real cold day of the year.

Mostly been drinking that and other Ontario craft brews like Wellington Arkell Bitter and Mill Street Cobblestone Stout. Besides that, my inner Albertan was pretty happy to see Old Style Pilsner (aka Pill) finally come to ON.

• 1 month later...

Anyone here like oysters?

Anyone here like oysters in their beer??

http://victoriabeers.com/beers/desolation-imperial-oyster-stout-lighthouse/

Extremely dark, high alcohol content and oysters... it's a meal in a bottle!! I liked it a lot.

Desolation-1024x682.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some surprising innovation from the beer wasteland known as Ontario....

www.beaus.ca I visited the brewery. Great stuff!

kbeer.caKichesippi Beer Co. Much more limited operation than Beau's, but good stuff!
http://sawdustcitybeer.blogspot.ca/ - Sawdust City Brewing Co.
These guys made my favourite beer that I have tried from Ontario. GREAT westcoast style IPA called Lonepine IPA.
I have no clue where Gravehurst is.... but this place makes great beer!

I have no idea where you guys can get the beers.... Ontario is strange that way (as is being discussed in another thread.... so let's just leave that aside...)

Edited by The_Squid

So do tell.....instead of Keiths , what should I get? Lets say with a steak or a chop, both bbq'd to rare?

I recommend sampling the Mill Street lineup. It's a large micro brewer, with some excellent products. If you want to stick with something lower in flavour like Keiths, try their Organic and Stock Ale. Want a little more substance, try the Tankhouse, a unique and flavourful darkish amber. Their Lemon Tea Ale is outstanding, especially in the summer and both their Cobblestone Stout and Vanilla Porter are worth a try. Fortunately, the LCBO often carries a Mill Street sampler six pack.

Tonight, I tried the "Take The Black Stout" of the Game of Thrones series by Brewery Ommegang out of Cooperstown NY. I give the packaging and label art top marks, but I'm not a fan of the beer itself. Here is the pretty spot on description from the label itself:

A stout as dark as the winters that once engulfed Westeros. As robust as the men who swear their oaths at the weirwood tree. Chocolate & Caramel sweetness are balanced by hop bitterness, roasty, woodsy notes, and an earthy finish.

There is a very slight hint of sweetness, but the flavour is dominated by a smoky bitterness. I prefer stouts to be smooth and sweet, this one is too hoppy for my taste. Still, I'm glad I tried it. Can't wait to taste the Iron Throne Blonde and the Fire & Blood Red. http://www.ommegang.com/got/take_the_black.php

bottle-2-tbs.png

Edited by Mighty AC

• 4 months later...

It has been awhile since this thread was raised. New Brunswick is finally getting some new beers at NB Liquor.

Yesterday, I cracked open a can of Amsterdam Brewing's Big Wheel Deluxe Amber.

bigwheelfeat13.jpg

The marketing claims they were after the "perfectly balanced" beer. I think they definitely hit the mark on this. I tried the beer before reading the can and it had just the right amount of malt and hops. You notice both, but neither is overpowering the other. I really enjoyed this one. 4/5. Try it if you can get it near you.

Mill St. Organic, it's a great summer beer. It's only 4% alcohol so you can drink it in the daytime too. :)

I don't know what it is about the summer that makes alcohol so good in the day. I would never crave a drink in the middle of the afternoon on a cold rainy day.

Well, then there is a whole slew of hot mixed drinks that will warm you up and make you feel fuzzy on those cold dreary days. Beer not so much on one of those days, but coffee and Kahlua (with a little whip cream) is very nice.

Edited by GostHacked

It has been awhile since this thread was raised. New Brunswick is finally getting some new beers at NB Liquor.

Yesterday, I cracked open a can of Amsterdam Brewing's Big Wheel Deluxe Amber.

I really like Big Wheel. This has been my go to style lately. Refreshing, slightly hoppy but not bitter and some distinct flavour kicked in from the malt.

This weekend I tried Ginja Ninja from Granville Island, mostly because the name made me smile. It has a strong ginger flavour with a pumpkin spice finish. I like ginger, but this beer has too much of it for my taste.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, then there is a whole slew of hot mixed drinks that will warm you up and make you feel fuzzy on those cold dreary days. Beer not so much on one of those days, but coffee and Kahlua (with a little whip cream) is very nice.

That sounds pretty good actually. Now I have a reason to drink during the day year-round. ;)

Drank beer when I was a kid, parents had Black Label, later in years went to Coors, Labatts. Today, I rather have a wine.

So would I if my other options were Coors or Labatts.