Beer

• 2 months later...

Nice pictures!

Was at the Cumberland Brew Pub today and had the sour cherry saison.

The wife had the pale ale.

Comox Valley is like heaven with all the good food and the new microbrews in the past couple of years.

Ever get to the Crow and Gate in Cedar?

Been there.

Generally go to the Sunday market and then go for a beer.

Not sure why people like it though:

British style pub so the service is crap.

Beer is good but not microbrew. Standards like Kilkenny, Guiness that sort of thing.

And, to reiterate, British style pub so the food is crap too.

Edited by msj

Been there.

Generally go to the Sunday market and then go for a beer.

Not sure why people like it though:

British style pub so the service is crap.

Beer is good but not microbrew. Standards like Kilkenny, Guiness that sort of thing.

And, to reiterate, British style pub so the food is crap too.

I haven't been there since 2005, so I remember a better time. Good food, and the best pint of Smithwicks I ever had.

And as I'm a Brit, I liked the style. It wasn't quite up to the Yorkshire Moors standard, but still better than anything in Vancouver at the time.

Edited by bcsapper

I usually can't comment here because I have about 3-6 total drinks a year, mostly wine. Beer is something I usually have on the road, but I picked up 4 bottles of Trois Pistoles Belgian style dark ale on sale the other day and downed one tonight. It's sweltering hot here tonight, and I had a bottle in the fridge. After 750ml of 9% ale I am probably not making sense. I'm not sure what makes this brewed in Quebec ale Belgian style, but it it has a nice subtle fruity sweetness with a bit of spice.

Edited by ?Impact

A strip of craft beer breweries has opened up in Port Moody, a suburb of Vancouver. There are four in total, with a great ambiance a block from the inlet.

It's a good crawl to hit them up and try the different types. If anyone likes craft beer and you're in the area I would recommend highly.

A strip of craft beer breweries has opened up in Port Moody, a suburb of Vancouver. There are four in total, with a great ambiance a block from the inlet.

It's a good crawl to hit them up and try the different types. If anyone likes craft beer and you're in the area I would recommend highly.

My wife and I went to Twin Sails a few months back and really enjoyed their Pilsner.....luck would have it, we found a little liquor store in Victoria that stocks it.......I'll give the other breweries a shot next time I'm over......great locations, and only a block from Rosa's.

Yellow Dog was the first and I think their beer is the best. I'm pretty sure most beer stores carry their stuff actually. Parkside just opened up this month and it knocked the others out of the park when it comes to ambiance (pardon the pun considering Rocky Point across the street) . Huge ceilings, big wide open doors facing the park (unlike Twin Sails and Yellow Dog that face the back). The downside is it's always packed.

My fave was Pilsner too, I know.... booooring. Pale Ale was my second fave. Both great flavours.

Yellow Dog was the first and I think their beer is the best. I'm pretty sure most beer stores carry their stuff actually. Parkside just opened up this month and it knocked the others out of the park when it comes to ambiance (pardon the pun considering Rocky Point across the street) . Huge ceilings, big wide open doors facing the park (unlike Twin Sails and Yellow Dog that face the back). The downside is it's always packed.

My fave was Pilsner too, I know.... booooring. Pale Ale was my second fave. Both great flavours.

Port Moody and ambiance.....never heard those two words in the same sentence ;)

I will try the others though and I look for Yellow Dog over here on the Rock.

For "ambiance", when we lived over there, we'd often go to Cardero's, Monk's (before it closed) or Bridges.......for us, because we're old you see, when we'd venture into town (from Coquitlam) we were often going to a show (Stanely/Arts Club, QE, Orpheum etc)...........

But for actual ambiance, I'm not sure if its still there, we use to go to Samba's Brazilian steakhouse.......felt like you were in a gangster hangout from Godfather...live music, dancing girls with plumage and like a dozen different types of meat and cheapo Brahma (not bad pale lagers)...

Edited by Derek 2.0

The Rock? As in White Rock? Yeah, I can see why any ambiance would be sub par to there. Good for you!

PoMo is totally yuppy town now, I've never heard of any of those places. A lot of the trendy places on St. John used to be biker places from what Mr. BCC says.

Anyway, there is a Boathouse Restaurant across the street from the breweries and it has gorgeous views. If I were you, I'd hit Boathouse first for some food, then Yellow Dog and Parkside. You'll have fun.

Cheers.

Edited by BC_chick

The Rock? As in White Rock? Yeah, I can see why any ambiance would be sub par to there. Good for you!

No we're not old enough for White Rock yet, the Rock as in Vancouver Island.....plenty of ambiance, mucho British style, in Victoria proper.

PoMo is totally yuppy town now, I've never heard of any of those places. A lot of the trendy places on St. John used to be biker places from what Mr. BCC says.
We were in Maillardville Coquitlam (Coquitlam-Burnaby-New West area)
Cardero's is on the water in Coal Harbor........great seafood, more an oyster bar.....lots of good beer and wines.....its slightly expensive, my wife and I could have a really good meal, desert and a couple of drinks for ~$100-150
Monk's was/is in False Creek (South Side) on the water.....it was expensive and yuppie trendy, but really good seafood.
Bridges (I'm sure its still there) is on Granville Island (under the bridge), they have lots of local beers and pub area with your standard (but really good) pub food, then a dinning room with your oysters, salmon, etc etc. Really good food, and not too expensive for Vancouver, about ~$20-40 for a quality plate (more for Lobster).

Anyway, there is a Boathouse Restaurant across the street from the breweries and it has gorgeous views. If I were you, I'd hit Boathouse first for some food, then Yellow Dog and Parkside. You'll have fun.

Cheers.

Between the Boathouse and Rosa's (the best Italian food in the Province!!!) we were down there a couple of times a month when we lived just up in Coquitlam.....I love their crab and lobster ravioli!!!

I remember you saying something about watching the Port Mann go up years ago so I knew you were somewhere around there. Victoria proper now. Just as nice (as White Rock). I love the island, we're thinking of buying a vacation spot there to retire to down the road.

Ok, I've heard of all those restaurants and I've even been to Bridges, but it didn't click because I thought you were talking about Port Moody. One of these days when the kid finally grows up, I'll keep them in mind. As of this point downtown might as well be Toronto. :)

Edited by BC_chick

I remember you saying something about watching the Port Mann go up years ago so I knew you were somewhere around there. Victoria proper now. Just as nice (as White Rock). I love the island, we're thinking of buying a vacation spot there to retire to down the road.

If you can, do it quick.....the prices are skyrocketing here....Victoria north to Campbell River are going up, up and up.

Ok, I've heard of all those restaurants and I've even been to Bridges, but it didn't click because I thought you were talking about Port Moody. One of these days when the kid finally grows up, I'll keep them in mind. As of this point downtown might as well be Toronto. :)

After Vancouver and Toronto, I think Victoria just nudged into the third most expensive market in Canada. :D

Went to Spinnakers in Victoria this afternoon.

They have brought back the Cascadia Pale Ale!

But it's a seasonal and they must have changed the recipe. Not as smooth and crisp as it used to be.

Brought a growler home anyway for when we watch the fireworks.

• 3 months later...

Between the Boathouse and Rosa's (the best Italian food in the Province!!!) we were down there a couple of times a month when we lived just up in Coquitlam.....I love their crab and lobster ravioli!!!

Thanks for recommending Rosa's. You're right, what a gem.