Local Programming Improvement Fund on my Satellite Bill - CRTC

I noticed for the first time an amount on my satellite TV bill for the local programming improvement fund. Don't know why I've never noticed it before but it must have been there for a while. I checked on the CRTC site and it seems we have been paying a sur charge to support local TV programming. I have to say that I don't agree with customers having to pay to support small markets which we never watch or need. Surely those who want them should subscribe and pay ?

What is the LPIF?

In 2008, during the recession, conventional television stations1 operating in non-metropolitan markets went through a difficult financial period. The CRTC created the LPIF to support local programming by these stations. In 2010, 78 stations received funding totaling $100 million. In 2011, 80 stations received $106 million in funding.

Well, I realize that not everyone lives in a location where this is practical but I am surprised more people don't just put up an antenna and tell the cable and satellite folks to get stuffed!

It's called "Over The Air" reception, or OTA. LIke the days of yore, you use a tv antenna of your own to pick up signals. I put one up at my old house and I get about 2 dozen HD channels, all for free!

There are pluses and minuses, of course. First off, all the stations broadcast originally in HD, so that's the way you get it. No surcharge for HD with the regular providers.

OTA is transmitted on the former UHF channels, so you don't need the old fashioned large antenna they used to use to pick up VHF stations 2-13. You use much smaller "screen with bowtie elements" antennas. Much easier to put up.

With OTA, since all signals are now digital, there are no snowy channels. You either get a perfectly clear picture or none at all.

When SuperBowl comes around, there's no CRTC making your cable or satellite provider edit out all those wonderful commercials the Americans get to watch. You see them all, because you are receiving them directly with no one else in the way.

Downsides? There are a number of channels that are "cable or satellite ONLY", like the History Channel or various sports channels. You might miss some of these. Personally, I don't miss the Shopping Channel or the Home Cooking Network.

You can replace some of what you lose by using your computer to visit various sites that carry Discovery or SciFi archives. If you have a modern TV just buy a video card that has an HDMI output, assuming your computer doesn't already have one, and feed it into your TV!

I love watching youtube clips of rock bands and Frank Zappa appearing back in the 1970's on the Mike Douglas Show.

A further bonus is that some stations actually broadcast extra channels with extra programming. Here I receive both CH 2-1 and CH 2-2, out of Buffalo, NY. 2-1 is the regular NBC network station. 2-2 is classic tv, like Barney MIller, WKRP, Alfred Hitchcock and a host of others! I love it!

You have to make your own choice but I find the pluses far outweigh the minuses to get that much FREE reception!

Best of call, as I already said but let me put it more clearly, when you receive it direct the CRTC can't control a damn thing! That bit of personal freedom means a lot to me!

I haven't subscribed to cable or satellite in over a year now and I don't have an antenna either. Best decision of my life. Now when I go to someone's house and they have the television on, I find the never-ending barrage of advertising to be extremely annoying.

I haven't subscribed to cable or satellite in over a year now and I don't have an antenna either. Best decision of my life. Now when I go to someone's house and they have the television on, I find the never-ending barrage of advertising to be extremely annoying.

But I'll bet, in your heart of hearts, you would love to watch the programs. ;)

If I didn't have satellite I wouldn't have HBO or the movie channels, my faves. I still don't agree with the charges for stations I never watch, maybe those who choose to watch them should pay ?

Neither do I. It pisses me off knowing I'm paying for s**t I wouldn't let my dog watch. I would be quite willing to pay more and be able to select the channels I WANT to watch on a regular basis. Perhaps the channels I don't watch regularly could be on a pay-per-view basis in the (unlikely) event they occassionally have something I am interested in.

• 2 weeks later...