Trayvon Martin - The other side of Hypocricy

Here's an excerpt from Michael Coren's column in the Toronto Sun - and did we hear any of these facts in the MSM? No, we didn't. As much as one never wants to see a young life lost - does it not beg the question as to why the reporting was so one-sided?

"Which brings us to the whole George Zimmerman absurdity, and how hypocrisy and dishonesty still dominate so much of public life.

Zimmerman dated a black girl, mentored young black boys in need, took on the police over their treatment of a homeless black man. The man evinced only sympathy and affection for the black community, never used racist epithets, and saw crime in terms of right and wrong, law and order, not black and white.

His mistake, and it certainly wasn’t a crime, was to not listen to the police dispatcher who advised him to stay in his vehicle. It appears he didn’t so much follow Martin but looked to see where he was going. Martin then became violent and inflicted enormous violence on Zimmerman, who then discharged his weapon in self-defence."

Link: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/19/justice-is-colour-blind

Edited by Keepitsimple

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Here's an excerpt from Michael Coren's column in the Toronto Sun - and did we hear any of these facts in the MSM? No, we didn't. As much as one never wants to see a young life lost - does it not beg the question as to why the reporting was so one-sided?

Link: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/19/justice-is-colour-blind

We sure didn't hear any of this:

Zimmerman dated a black girl, mentored young black boys in need, took on the police over their treatment of a homeless black man. The man evinced only sympathy and affection for the black community, never used racist epithets, and saw crime in terms of right and wrong, law and order, not black and white.

I never for a moment thought race had anything to do with the shooting or the verdict, and I believe Obama's comments are totally out of line. From all accounts, if anything, it was a young kid in a hoodie that set Zimmerman off. He wasn't even sure that Martin was Black when he placed his call to the police. It's amazing to me how so many people make this about race - and not just in the U.S., by any means - and then comment about how hung up we/Americans are on race.

Not only was Zimmerman not a racist – he had a black business partner, has Afro-Peruvian roots, and helped out underprivileged black kids in his neighborhood – he also was a supporter of the very president who would later slander him by innuendo.

As Robert, George’s brother, told me, George is “a registered Democrat. He registered as a Hispanic. He kind of did some internal family campaigning for Obama.” http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/07/17/zimmerman-supported-obama-stood-up-for-blacks-79818

Edited by American Woman

It really does point to the biased one sided reporting by the media. I hope Zimmerman gets a big payout from NBC for their editing of that tape.

Yep. Much of the media looked for an angle, found one, and reported in that context. When this whole situation had little to nothing to do with race, and everything to do with two individuals making a series of bad choices that left one of them dead, and the other one's changed in a bad way, for the rest of his life.

Not that I believe either way the bigotry of Zimmerman but it is false logic to assume that since he dated a black girl in high school that its unlikely that he is not an ignorant bigot.

There are plenty of people who have personal black friends but would still check their wallet in a crowded elevator with random black people. This is the exact phenomenon that Obama is referring to. People who are pleasant serving him coffee in the daylight but lock the doors if they saw him with a hoodie jogging at night.

By saying racism, people assume you're calling them the drunken deep south father in "To Kill a Mockingbird" I'd like to think we've pulled ourselves out of that pit.

Not that I believe either way the bigotry of Zimmerman but it is false logic to assume that since he dated a black girl in high school that its unlikely that he is not an ignorant bigot.

No, that's crap. Unless there's reason to believe that someone is an "ignorant bigot", one should start with the assumption that they are not. This is the whole problem with this case, the media projects their opinions of bigotry at everyone and hopes that they'll stick.The entire case never had anything to do with race, rather, the prosecution simply never had enough evidence to prove anything. But the media caught onto the race angle and used it to boost ratings. The race angle of the case was pushed so hard in the media that even people that normally have a bit more sense were hoodwinked. What's the phrase... repeat a lie often enough and people will believe it?

He wasn't even sure that Martin was Black when he placed his call to the police. It's amazing to me how so many people make this about race - and not just in the U.S., by any means - and then comment about how hung up we/Americans are on race.

You mostly have America's media (and the international media which does nothing but parrot American media when reporting about matters in America) to blame. And yes, Americans are hung up on race. Having come here from Canada, it's almost physically palpable the extent to which Americans are hung up on race. Race is constantly talked about in the media, never a single day goes by without race being shoved down people's throats. Almost any issue that in any way includes any non-white person becomes all about race to hear it told by the media. America is by leaps and bounds the most "racially sensitive" society on Earth. It seems to weigh heavily on everyone's consciousness, whether as hate or as guilt or as self-censorship or defensiveness or as a lashing out at its over-hyped prevalence as an issue in society. While there are many things that are great about living in the US, the huge societal emphasis on race is perhaps what most turns me off about it.

Growing up in America, I doubt a typical American would be able to look at their own society and recognize how "hung up" it is on race. It takes growing up somewhere else and looking in on America to see and feel it.

Edited by Bonam

Guest American Woman

You mostly have America's media (and the international media which does nothing but parrot American media when reporting about matters in America) to blame. And yes, Americans are hung up on race. Having come here from Canada, it's almost physically palpable the extent to which Americans are hung up on race. Race is constantly talked about in the media, never a single day goes by without race being shoved down people's throats.

Odd. I live in the U.S., and I go many, many a day without "race being shoved down my throat." The media may be hung up on race, but the media doesn't equal Americans. Many Americans aren't hung up on "the media" the way non-Americans are, either. We also have local coverage of events, too, which non-Americans don't get, and many, many Americans do.

Almost any issue that in any way includes any non-white person becomes all about race to hear it told by the media.

Again. That's the media. I'm an American and I've been here pointing out that there's nothing to indicate that this case is race related. And you know what? I've got Canadians arguing with me, telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about. That's Canadians hung up on race in the U.S.; I don't have any Americans arguing with me.

I repeat. "The media" and "Americans" are two very different things.

America is by leaps and bounds the most "racially sensitive" society on Earth.

I disagree with you. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that's a pretty ludicrous, ignorant statement.

Just because we have the most 'watched' media on Earth doesn't mean our country is the way the media comes across - and you are not getting the same access to other countries' media, so how you think you are as aware of what's going on elsewhere is a mystery to me.

At any rate, I can't believe you are actually equating "society" with "the media."

It seems to weigh heavily on everyone's consciousness,

In spite of what it "seems" to you, by far most Americans go through daily life without giving race a thought. Again. It's you going on about race here. Plenty of non-Americans go on about Americans being hung up on race. As a non-American, I find that ironic - that many who are claiming Americans are hung up on race are the ones who are actually hung up on race in the U.S.

whether as hate or as guilt or as self-censorship or defensiveness or as a lashing out at its over-hyped prevalence as an issue in society.

How about for the Almighty Dollar? Grabbing an audience? That's what the media is after. Again. You are putting the over-hype in the media on Americans. Americans at large don't feel those things.

At any rate, this coming from someone who grew up in a country with "hate laws" and "visible minority" laws/issues and many First Nations issues is pretty ironic. Your hate laws may make your issues more silent, but they are still there. Furthermore, "no country on Earth" is comparable to the U.S.; the size of our population is of course going to give us more of the same kinds of problems other nations have, add to that everyone's obsession with American media outside the U.S., add to that the type of media coverage we get these days, and of course the U.S. is going to seem to have "more" issues. If you were saturated with Great Britain's media 24/7 you might have a different take on what's going on in the U.K,, too. Doesn't mean it would be the way it is to most Brits.

Again. I can't believe you think that "media" = "Americans."

While there are many things that are great about living in the US, the huge societal emphasis on race is perhaps what most turns me off about it.

Then perhaps it's your predisposition to key into to it and see it everywhere. I'm sure I see things in Canada that you wouldn't because I am keyed into them.

Growing up in America, I doubt a typical American would be able to look at their own society and recognize how "hung up" it is on race. It takes growing up somewhere else and looking in on America to see and feel it.

Growing up outside of the U.S., I doubt the typical non-American has a clue as to what it's like to grow up in the U.S. I have the experience of growing up here, of living my life here, along with my families, friends, coworkers, acquaintances, people I deal with on a daily basis. I doubt many a non-American would be able to know how "hung up" they are on the American media and how much their views of Americans have been colored by it. It takes growing up in the U.S. to see and feel that.

Unless you think its ok to beat someone for being a racist, or for following you, you have to agree with the verdict. If Martin didn't have to wait for the police before he confronted Zimmerman, Zimmerman didn't have to wait for severe injury before he defended himself. I dont agree that he should have been following Martin, and that carrying the gun probably gives someone liscense to do that more agressively, but neither of those things warrants a beat down.

According to you. According to the Department of Justice there's enough evidence to consider hate crime prosecution.

No there isn't. There will be no federal charges. There simply isn't any evidence. It's a charade to make some people feel better.

I've already seen what kind of foresight you have last November. I'm not interested in your assumptions about things that will happen in the future. As of right now, the DoJ has made press releases that they're considering pursuing hate crime charges. As an aside, I think it's ridiculous that someone can be charged for the same crime multiple times in the US and am thankful that we don't do that here. He already faced a jury for Martin's murder. It's over, unless there's an appeal.

I've already seen what kind of foresight you have last November. I'm not interested in your assumptions about things that will happen in the future. As of right now, the DoJ has made press releases that they're considering pursuing hate crime charges. As an aside, I think it's ridiculous that someone can be charged for the same crime multiple times in the US and am thankful that we don't do that here. He already faced a jury for Martin's murder. It's over, unless there's an appeal.

Yes, they have considered it. But again, there's nothing to consider. Even the ACLU has indicated as such. It's all a big show because some people can't seem to accept the proper judgement of a jury. It's rule by mob instead of the law.

Guest American Woman

In Canada, the prosecution can appeal from an acquittal, which cannot be done in the U.S.; so in effect, it's just two different ways of bringing the person essentially back to trial for essentially the same crime. I say "essentially" because both countries have laws against "double jeopardy."

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

Yes, they have considered it. But again, there's nothing to consider. Even the ACLU has indicated as such. It's all a big show because some people can't seem to accept the proper judgement of a jury. It's rule by mob instead of the law.

The FBI couldn't find any evidence of racism, either.

All told, agents interviewed no fewer than 45 Zimmerman co-workers, neighbors and other acquaintances — including even his ex-fiance — and found no evidence of racial bias.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/071513-663808-fbi-report-undermines-race-case-against-zimmerman.htm#ixzz2Zhc3tZYr

No there isn't. There will be no federal charges. There simply isn't any evidence. It's a charade to make some people feel better.

That's precisely right.

Obama certainly isn't being Presidential, both he and the Attorney General Eric Holder are being the community organizers they have always been, being divisive and setting the stage for protests and demands for equality. It sort of sets the civil rights movement back to the 60's. It's as if the US has not made any gains in eliminating racism at all.

They did get rid of the laws that held racism in place through segregation and second class citizenship and it took these fifty years to get to where they are now, a far cry from the sixties but still with a way to go. It seems civil rights do-gooders, are unforgiving and wish to hold the past treatment of Blacks as ransom to call for privilege and largesse and even influence justice, a la OJ Simpson and now Trayvon Martin.

Is there racism in the US? I do believe so but it is no longer sanctioned by the law and thus not institutionalized. It will only take time then to disappear in society and only be held by ignorant individuals. But if Blacks and whites continue to be to played as separate groups by their politicians and civil rights do-gooders it will never go away.

Obama should hang his head in shame for turning the clock back. Hopefully, everyone will ignore him and the mainstream media.

What's additionally disgusting is NBC's intentional altering of Zimmerman's original 911 call - altered to make it appear that Zimmerman was racist when in fact, the official transcript of the call showed nothing of the sort. How much did this fraudulent reporting play into the racist theme? Millions upon millions of dollars paid to Zimmerman one would hope. Regardless of his proven innocence, this man will never be able to lead a safe and normal life. Here's how it was reported - and it wasn't "a mistake" - it was deliberate....the producer has since been fired:

NBC's "Today" show ran the edited audio of Zimmerman's phone call to a police dispatcher, seeming to show Zimmerman saying, "This guy looks like he's up to no good … he looks black."

A transcript of the complete 911 call shows that Zimmerman said, "This guy looks like he's up to no good. Or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about."

The 911 officer responded saying, "OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?"

"He looks black," Zimmerman said.

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/03/nbc-issues-apology-edited-zimmerman-11-call/

Edited by Keepitsimple

IMO fraudulent and one sided reporting has contributed greatly to what is now misinformation of mythological proportions. I hope Zimmerman wins his law suit, but as you say, if life is done now, he will need the money.

If the prosecution hadn't deliberately withheld evidence they wouldn't have got the warrant either. The prosecution also withheld evidence from the defence. I've heard people elsewhere now saying they believe the prosecution was so racist they really 'threw' the case. Next thing it will be St. Trayvon.

What's additionally disgusting is NBC's intentional altering of Zimmerman's original 911 call - altered to make it appear that Zimmerman was racist when in fact, the official transcript of the call showed nothing of the sort. How much did this fraudulent reporting play into the racist theme? Millions upon millions of dollars paid to Zimmerman one would hope. Regardless of his proven innocence, this man will never be able to lead a safe and normal life. Here's how it was reported - and it wasn't "a mistake" - it was deliberate....the producer has since been fired:

Hopefully these media companies are made to pay out a few hundred million to Zimmerman for the damage they;ve caused.

Guest American Woman

Hopefully these media companies are made to pay out a few hundred million to Zimmerman for the damage they;ve caused.

What about the damage Obama is causing?

I must say that except in 2008 when Obama got elected when everyone was making ado about a black man becoming the President of the United States, very soon after that I really never viewed Obama as a black man. I have always preferred the Democrats over the Republicans when it comes to the American politics, be it Carter vs Reagan, be it Dukakis vs Bush, be it Clinton vs Bush, be it Gore vs Bush jr and be it Obama vs McCain or Romney.

However, this recent episode has showed that Obama has picked his side instead of staying neutral.