Cougar vs bear: Who would win in a fight?

Cougar vs bear: Who would win in a fight?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is an age-old question that goes back millennia. Who would win a fight between a typical adult-sized cougar and an average adult-sized bear? A classic battle of speed, agility, and stealth VS size and brute strength.

Please don't look up youtube videos or other google searches, just use your wits and logic as many have throughout the centuries to provide your hypothesis!

Edit: for sake of argument, we're talking about a grizzly bear as the species in the battle.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Guest American Woman

The cougar would win.

Edited to add: I'd rather encounter a bear in the woods than a cougar.

Edited by American Woman

The cougar would win.

Edited to add: I'd rather encounter a bear in the woods than a cougar.

I agree, AW. I've seen some of the cougars that frequent my local bar and I would be afraid to tangle with them!

Depends on the bear type.

Polar? Win

Grizzly? Win

Black N Am ? Lose (most of the time)

Kodiak? Win

Seen plenty of Black Bear boges, dont be afraid of them, especially if they make noise, huffing and popping sounds and tamping the ground, but if silent....uh oh, you gots a big problem !

I agree, AW. I've seen some of the cougars that frequent my local bar and I would be afraid to tangle with them!

That is funny.

Seriously though....cougars are some of the best predators. They stalk their prey for miles where as most bears will run at loud sounds. I think based on that the cougar is out looking for fights and the bear is looking to avoid them....so I would give the edge to a cougar. Having said this, get in between a bear and her cubs....now that is a different story.

. Having said this, get in between a bear and her cubs....now that is a different story.

This is pretty much a myth.

A mother bear will tree her cubs or tell them to in the face of a threat. She will always prefer to run away with the cubs in tow if given a chance

Edited by Guyser2

A cougar could definitely take a black bear. Most of them are scared of their own shadow. Just wave your hands and yell, and they'll run.

Browns, Grizzlies, Polars. etc, though are not just fearless predators, but they are usually much larger and stronger than a cougar. Many brown bear species can be well over 1500 lbs, most cougars are under 150 lbs.

A cougar could definitely take a black bear. Most of them are scared of their own shadow. Just wave your hands and yell, and they'll run.

Wave your hands at a black bear and they do run.....but they can easily kill you. One does not beget the other.

Browns, Grizzlies, Polars. etc, though are not just fearless predators, but they are usually much larger and stronger than a cougar. Many brown bear species can be well over 1500 lbs, most cougars are under 150 lbs.

No they cant be well over 1500 lbs, thats what they can get up to as normal size but they are far less weight than that, many in the 800 lb range.

1500 is the max weight.

A black bear would generally win,thicker hide, denser layer of fat, weight advantage.

Edited by Guyser2

What kind of bear? There are many varieties. Black, grizzly, polar, panda...

Let's go with 'grizzly bear'. That will give us a large-sized bear as a worthy foe for a cougar I think, with wide enough distribution in North America to contemplate a classic hypothetical showdown of cougar vs bear in North American forests as told in aboriginal legends.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Let's go with 'grizzly bear'. That will give us a large-sized bear as a worthy foe for a cougar I think, with wide enough distribution in North America to contemplate a classic hypothetical showdown of cougar vs bear in North American forests as told in aboriginal legends.

Grizzly would win no question. Have you seen those things?