Harper's speech was not "prime ministerial"

no - the fixed election date act does not preclude the Governor General, upon the advice of the Canadian Prime Minister, from dissolving Parliament... at any time! Notwithstanding that, of course, in 2008 Conservative PM Harper ignored the very fixed election date act his government had brought into law!

You're technically right of course. As for 2008 a good argument can be made that the law does not apply to a minority government since in that situation, the opposition and other parties out of government can always bring down the government but the government can never call an election. The fixed date law to my understanding was to curtail practices such as calling early elections (Chretien did this both times he was re-elected) or hanging on for the full five years when it's obvious the people don't want the government any more (Mulroney staying on well beyond four years post the 1988 election).

as a claimed foreigner, you have consistently demonstrated your failed interpretations of Canadian history... and politicians you don't favour. This is no exception to your repeated pattern.

I am a U.S. citizen and have lived here all my 56 years. And I don't think my analogy was bad at all. Chretien pursued divisive policies and then rushed in to save Canada from the fallout of his own policies.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no - the fixed election date act does not preclude the Governor General, upon the advice of the Canadian Prime Minister, from dissolving Parliament... at any time! Notwithstanding that, of course, in 2008 Conservative PM Harper ignored the very fixed election date act his government had brought into law!

we'll not exactly the truth. It is a bit of a ROC idea, more or less anyone in privy council can ask the GG to call new elections, arguably anyone can. Of course a sitting PMs advice is often seen as gold, since the PM is more or less tasked with managing the oversight of government for parliament. The GG could even do it on their own advice, although they might have some explaining to do. "reserve power"

It just so happened everyone was for an election except the liberals, who supported the conservative government, or atleast did not try to oppose them. Guess they were paying back the conservatives for the period 10 years.

Edited by AlienB

The GG could even do it on their own advice, although they might have some explaining to do. "reserve power"

Gough Whitlam in Australia got a lesson in that on November 10 or 11 (depending on side of the date line), 1975.

It just so happened everyone was for an election except the liberals, who supported the conservative government, or atleast (sic) did not try to oppose them. Guess they were paying back the conservatives for the period 10 years.

The Liberals did everything they could to avoid an election, including "walking out" of votes on bills that would be considered as confidence votes. While their massacre was delayed until the 2011 elections I think Dion had a pretty good idea of the way things were headed.

I am a U.S. citizen and have lived here all my 56 years. And I don't think my analogy was bad at all. Chretien pursued divisive policies and then rushed in to save Canada from the fallout of his own policies.

whether we agree on your analogy or not, your "Munchausen's syndrome" labeling is a most illegitimate association (I would suggest bordering on an outright MLW rules violation)... notwithstanding your describing the personal campaigning as "spurious" (a most uncalled for claim and one not at all legitimate given the genuine passion/caring displayed by Chretien during the 'referendum campaigning').

• 3 weeks later...

I loved it. Go Harper. Telling Putin and the world like it is. Stick in your ear Putin! Justin Trudeau would never do anything like that.

I think if you put Justin Trudeau in that same situation,we would have heard a lot of "umm,well uhhh....you know......ummmm".

That's how he sounds without a prepared speech.