Harper's speech was not "prime ministerial"

I saw the clip of Harper's speech about Russia/Putin and at some point thought to myself that this is probably the furthest Harper has ever stuck his neck out!

I can't recall a G8/G20 country/leader ever being publicly scolded like this in recent history at one of their meetings.

Here's a link.Please provide others!

http://thecanadianpoliticalscene.blogspot.com/2013/06/uk-labour-mp-harpers-speech-was-not.html

WWWTT

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the clip of Harper's speech about Russia/Putin and at some point thought to myself that this is probably the furthest Harper has ever stuck his neck out!

I can't recall a G8/G20 country/leader ever being publicly scolded like this in recent history at one of their meetings.

Here's a link.Please provide others!

http://thecanadianpoliticalscene.blogspot.com/2013/06/uk-labour-mp-harpers-speech-was-not.htmlWould you have been upset with an equally partisan speech by Chretien? It seems to me that GG's are supposed to be above the fray, not PMs.

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

That Rat Bastard:

He noted Harper's statements towards British Prime Minister David Cameron where he said the “determined efforts and your wise and principled leadership during these last few years as we have dealt with the difficult and critical issues facing our countries and the world issues which require the best of what has always made Britain unique and strong, and which you have plainly demonstrated.”

Our Prime Minister complementing another world leader.....the horror

Then:

“Saying how wonderful Margaret Thatcher is – he might have noticed that this was a controversial issue,” Spellar said Friday. “Now, of course he’s a conservative, but throughout the speech to be obsessing about how only Conservatives had the answer and therefore he and David Cameron were the right people, is not the way to do it.”

Saying some nice stuff about their dead former Prime Minister......The cheek of Harper...

:rolleyes:

That Rat Bastard:

************ (omitted quoted material)

Our Prime Minister complementing another world leader.....the horror

Then:

Saying some nice stuff about their dead former Prime Minister......The cheek of Harper...

:rolleyes:

It owuld have been far better for Harper, through an open mike, to refer to Cameron as an "idiot" the way Madame Ducros did with regard to Bush.

Harper is the right man at the right time. He says it as he sees it, could you see justin doing that, he would want to sit down and figure out what the root cause of putin's behavoir is. That boy wouild be eaten up and spit out by the leaders of the world today.

I am hard pressed to decide which was the more embarrasing of late: was it Harper taking a swipe at Putin, or was it the one at Trudeau. The Putin thing is a total waste and only will rufffle feathers. Give me a man like Chretien who can refuse to send troops to an illegal war in Iraq and you've got something that has meaning. The Trudeau thing was of course nothing more than a pathetic attempt to deflect attention from the myriad of scandals facing Harper, and it failed miserably. At least Trudeau cleared all his speaking engagements with the ethics commissioner. I doubt anybody in the PMO did that with the 90K check.

All i can say then is enjoy him while you can, because rumor has it his own caucus is thinking about throwing him under the bus. In any case 23 months from now he's gone.

I highly doubt it.

Anyways, for those of you that would like to see the actual speech in question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALfQDC-ebhA

He was left out of a meeting with the major world leaders on what to do with Syria and then a statement, including Russia, from the G8. This PM is a nobody on the world stage. He was clearly not on the same page as the others.

U.S. President Barack Obama held an hour-long video conference call Friday with the leaders of Britain, France, Germany and Italy ahead of the G8 summit, with the situation in Syria at the top of the agenda.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/15/stephen-harper-continues-push-for-free-trade-while-syria-moves-to-top-of-agenda-ahead-of-g8-summit/

Guest Derek L

He was left out of a meeting with the major world leaders on what to do with Syria and then a statement, including Russia, from the G8. This PM is a nobody on the world stage. He was clearly not on the same page as the others.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/15/stephen-harper-continues-push-for-free-trade-while-syria-moves-to-top-of-agenda-ahead-of-g8-summit/

Yes the Prime Minister wasn’t on the same page as the other World Leaders involved in talks over Syria…….As Prime Minster Harper has been on record numerous times stating his reluctance in arming Syrian rebels, coupled with his position on no military action in Syria……..

Do you favour arming Syrians and/or sending Canadian men and women over to Syria to fight with Syrians, against other Syrians? (Not to get too off topic, I suppose we could, if you’re interested, carry this on in the Syrian thread.)

That's ok. Barry and him usually have their own private meetings. It's a North American thing.

Guest Derek L

That's ok. Barry and him usually have their own private meetings. It's a North American thing.

No, the only remaining members of the G8 not in the meeting were Russia (Arming Assad), Japan (Doesn't export weapons, nor fight overseas) and Canada(Opposed to arming rebels and sending troops to fight).

No, the only remaining members of the G8 not in the meeting were Russia (Arming Assad), Japan (Doesn't export weapons, nor fight overseas) and Canada(Opposed to arming rebels and sending troops to fight).

I get it, so only the members in favour of arming the rebels were included in the meetings. Yeah, I'm no fan of Assad, but arming the opposition doesn't sound like a great idea either.

Harper is a disgrace to all that Canada has ever stood for, I am ashamed to call him the head of our Country.

Johnston, actually Queen Elizabeth II, and not Harper, is your Head of State.

I've never been more proud of a Canadian leader. Best Prime Minister in over 50 years. Best leader in the world right now.

Maybe your best Prime Minister ever. MacDonald could have been if he wasn't so inebriated.