Do you really believe anything Bush says?

This is just a partisan question really.

Does anybody here really believe anything that Bush says?

For instance, he'll say that the economy is getting better, when the leading economic indicators say that they're not.

He'll stand in front of a sign that says 'Mission Accomplished', when clearly it hasn't.

He'll stand in front of a sign that says "Corporate Responsiblity" while all his pals (and his VP) are clearly being irresponsible.

He'll claim that he served honourably -- when all evidence points to contrary.

He'll say that Saddam Hussein is linked to Al Queda, when clearly he wasn't.

He'll say that Saddam Hussein had Nuclear Weapons capability, when clearly he hadn't.

I mean...do people actually believe what Bush says anymore?

Can anybody on these boards tolerate even listening to a speech by this man without getting physically sick and changing the channel? I've spoken with many people and they tell me that they've had to change the channel because it makes them ill. Anybody here have the same reaction?

This question is about Bush...don't excuse his lies by pointing to Kerry or the Liberals, because those points arn't salient here. Don't try to justify Bush's wrong doing by pointing at somebody else. I'm asking about Bush. (Although I'll agree with many that other politicians are just as bad.)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree that Bush Jr gets up the Dems' nose. (I think it's his smirk. For some reason, that really bothers the Left.)

Well, Clinton drove the Right nuts too. (I think it was the way Clinton could get away with it.)

Of course, this is all about style.

Nixon was more vilified than Bush or Clinton. The Left had no respect whatsoever for Reagan. "Hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today..."

IOW, I don't think there is anything radically new going on.

As to your examples of evident lies, I think rather that Bush has some connection to reality. He is beatable but I don't think Kerry can do it.

Reality? Reality!!? Your kidding right?

you mean like WMD reality or "God told him to invade Iraq reality? The Saddam connection reality?Mission Accomplished reality? the economy is in a upswing reality...no children were left behind reality...medicare reality...banned cheaper drugs from Canada reality..were winning the war in Iraq reality...theres is no such thing as the green house effect reality..limiting stem cell reasearch reality flip flop...now we can not win the war reality...outsourcing is good for America reality...3 million jobs lost reality and the few that replace them at 7.00 per hour reality? If you don't vote for me you will be attacked reality...low unemployment reality? our soliders don't have the equipment they need reality...filp flop were winning the war again reality...

This is CLEARLY a person who will stop at NOTHING to be elected...and that is what the reality of the matter truly is...

and for those of you that had not noticed...because of all the other political BS being shoved in our faces 24/7 like swift boats...guard records...Dan Rather etc.

1,000 + dead, not counting the Iraqi people 7,000+ wounded most of them will come home minus some body parts what started as 5,000 insurgents was miscalculated and reality would now have it around 50,000...daily bombings...the daily killing of the very Iraqi's that were suppose to take charge...other countries caving to terrorist demands...beheadings...

Folks please pay close attention because we are NOT winning this war...and we HAVE to now that were there, but we won't until Bush is either out of office or he pulls his head out of his arse...I fear there is no hope for the later happening anytime soon... :angry:

I gather, April, that you are going to vote Democrat. [April, have you ever voted for a Republican candidate at any level?]

Now, April, how do you feel when you see W. on TV?

I rest my case.

I just can't believe that there exists people who actually buy some of the stuff he says.....it's incredibly contradictory.
The British generals/politicians in World War I and the US military/politicians during the Vietnam War prevaricated, hid behind mumbo-jumbo and rationalized. In comparison, Bush Jnr. has been forthcoming and has a decent case to make. Jnr. even has a "vision thing".

A hoity-toity heiress-marrying Boston-brahmin is unlikely to take Jnr down. The Dems do best with a plain vanilla Southern boy who aligns on the centre. The Dems lose when they lose the trailer trash vote.

Perhaps it comes down to what is truth and what is a lie. I believe that Bush believes what he is saying. It is virtually all wrong; it is dangerous but Bush obviously believes the voices around him and probably has them in his head also.

It comes back to one of my favourite political quotes: "A fool in politics is more dangerous than a villain and must be treated as a villain."

Perhaps it comes down to what is truth and what is a lie.
I'll agree. The proof is in the pudding.

The Left said that the Taliban and the cruel Afghan winter were no match for the US. "Look what happened to the British in the 19th century!"

The Left said Iraq's Republican Guard would be hellish to fight. "The war will last for months."

The Left said that dysentery, disease and hunger would decimate the Iraqi population.

The Left says little about Qaddafi or the recent Syrian troop pullback.

This game is far from over. We'll learn the truth in the fullness of time.

...and the irrational hatred of Bush goes on.... and on. Gosh I almost don't want him to win so I don't have to listen to litany of fallacy ridden tirades.

He'll claim that he served honourably -- when all evidence points to contrary.

You and Dan Rather obviously have the same sources. (and you wonder why Fox News is so popular) This is the problem I have with Bush haters. You'll believe any crap that's fed to as long as it is anti-Bush. When you're not calling him a moron you're triffleing over petty speech foibles. Oddly you hold him to a completely higher standard than you do other world leaders or previous presidents, with the exception of Reagan. You don't cry out over the innocent civilians killed by Clinton's 'unilateral' attack on Kosovo. Ya that's right Clinton went against the UN on that one and Chretien supported him. So why is that ok? You never pull the unilateral card on that one. You call Bush a fascist yet you ignore the real Islamofacsists in the middle east and in Sudan killing women and children in schools. But somehow Bush is the biggest threat to the world and somehow all the Islamo -terror is caused by Bush because he provoked them. The same people who are slowly slicing off the heads of innocent people are the same people who want nuclear bombs and chemical weapons. Yet Bush is the bad guy for stoping them.

You don't cry out over the innocent civilians killed by Clinton's 'unilateral' attack on Kosovo. Ya that's right Clinton went against the UN on that one and Chretien supported him. So why is that ok? You never pull the unilateral card on that one.

Clinton's not in power, and many (particularily leftists)oppossed the human rights violations committed during his administration, the Kosovo bombing and his attack on Sudan being two such examples. So that dog doesn't bark.

The same people who are slowly slicing off the heads of innocent people are the same people who want nuclear bombs and chemical weapons.

Izzat so? How do you know? Have you spoken to them? Your making some pretty enormous assumptions here.

Yet Bush is the bad guy for stoping them.

Yeah, he's done a great job too. :rolleyes:

The Left said that the Taliban and the cruel Afghan winter were no match for the US. "Look what happened to the British in the 19th century!"

And Afghanistan, outside Kabul, remains largely lawless and in the hands of regional warlords and ex Taliban militias.

The Left said Iraq's Republican Guard would be hellish to fight. "The war will last for months."

You should look at the headlines "the war" is still on.

The Left said that dysentery, disease and hunger would decimate the Iraqi population.

Bombs silent, but children still suffer

Slow progress for Iraq reconstruction

I would say the "Left's" accuracy when it come sto predictions vis a vis Iraq and the terror war have been consistently more accurate than the right's often rose-coloured outlook. Makes one wonder about the vaunted "realism" of the right.

You call Bush a fascist yet you ignore the real Islamofacsists in the middle east and in Sudan killing women and children in schools.

Interesting background on the Sudan crisis.

Tread softly in Sudan

The Darfur disaster is not -- as oversimplified by western media -- a case of murderous government-backed Arab militias, called "Janjaweed," slaughtering helpless blacks. Nor can Khartoum end the strife at will: Its writ in Darfur is barely existent. Darfur is not a case of ethnic-religious terrorism as in Kosovo and Bosnia. The real story is far more complex.

In recent times, two anti-Khartoum insurgencies simmered in Darfur, backed by neighbouring Chad and Eritrea, both of whom are U.S. clients. CIA has reportedly supplied arms and money to Darfur's rebels. Washington recently developed interest in Chad, which has oil and gas deposits.

Washington is using Darfur's rebels, as it did southern Sudan's 30-year-old insurgency, to destabilize the Khartoum regime, whose policies have been deemed insufficiently pro-American and too Islamic. More important to the increasingly energy-hungry U.S., Sudan has oil, as well as that other precious commodity, water.

....Bush obviously believes the voices around him and probably has them in his head also.

It comes back to one of my favourite political quotes: "A fool in politics is more dangerous than a villain and must be treated as a villain."

Actually, Bush takes directions from Cheney. It's really Cheney who is running the country and Bush just aimlessly follows.

We'll learn the truth in the fullness of time.

Last year in October, FastNed said we'll all find out what happened to those WMD.

They were never there to begin with.

I don't care much for Kerry, and in the initial post, I correctly pointed out that justifying Bush's doubletalk by pointing to Kerry is invalid.

Dan Rather aside, Bush did not serve honourably. Moreover, it wasn't a very honourable way to serve.

I never did vouch for the Rather papers, but just the fact that pappy pulled strings for him, etc, it's pretty evident.

-----------------

Agreed. It's VERY scary that he actually believes what he's saying.

August1991,Sep 21 2004, 09:06 AM] I gather, April, that you are going to vote Democrat.  [April, have you ever voted for a Republican candidate at any level?]

Now, April, how do you feel when you see W. on TV?

I rest my case.

Better unrest it then because actually...in the past I always voted Republican...but I open my eyes due to their BS tactic's...and the constant bulling and name calling if you questioned anything....I mean just look at how the Bush camp is scared to let people with opposing views around him....gosh guess if he did he might really have some hard questions to answer for...he would rather be handled with kid gloves...and to be quite honest while I like Edwards I do not much care for Kerry, If McCain ran I could easily vote for him...he didn't so I can't, so yes I guess then Kerry is my man this election. Like I said Bush has got ot go...

though if it was not at the expense of the American people I wouldn't mind him being elected...I think it is just deserve for him to clean up his own mess for a change...and what a mess it is!!

So much for your case

Oh and btw I would rather have as a first lady, a woman with brains and can speak her own mind and allowed to have her own views and question anything...then

little miss Laura Stephford wife... ;)

I think that many Libertarian Republicans (Ie. True small 'l' liberals) can't stomach Bush.

The 'Patriot' Act is simply an atrocious piece of legislation. Mind you, we have worse in Canada, it's just that most people don't know that.

I won't attack his wife, his parents or his daughters. I'll attack what they said in public.

To imply that W is a victim is just disgusting. To come out and say that W is a victim is just plain sick.

Clinton's not in power, and many (particularily leftists)oppossed the human rights violations committed during his administration, the Kosovo bombing and his attack on Sudan being two such examples.

It doesn't matter if Clinton is in power or not, the point is the Bush haters didn't hold him even close to the same standard as Bush. If there ever was a lying President it was Clinton, not Bush.

The same people who are slowly slicing off the heads of innocent people are the same people who want nuclear bombs and chemical weapons. 

Izzat so? How do you know? Have you spoken to them? Your making some pretty enormous assumptions here.

Al Queda doesn't want WMD's or nuclear capabilities? Argue that one. And no I haven't spoken to them, I prefer to keep my head on my shoulders.

Yet Bush is the bad guy for stoping them.

Yeah, he's done a great job too. 

You on the left and your spoksmen in the left biased media were crying for results the day after it started. From the beginning the President said that the war on terror would be a long drawn out war.

Dan Rather aside, Bush did not serve honourably. Moreover, it wasn't a very honourable way to serve.
Could you make a more blatently false statement? He was honorably discharged. Whether you get your info from Dan Rather or Moveon.org I think you need to find some new sources. And why are you so concerned with a 30 year old issue that has been resurected again and again by Bush haters. It's backfiring for you. You just make Bush look better. Just like Kerry trying to portray himself as a war hero 30 years ago and then challenged the Repubs to "bring it on" and challenge his record. It just backfires.

The irrationality of the hatred by Bush haters is so incredibly obvious. Kerry, Clinton and even their beloved UN all believed that Iraq had WMD's yet Bush is the one who somehow misled Americans. To this day Clinton and Kerry still say the attack on Iraq was the right decision. Yet Bush is some how the bad guy. Why don't you guys spend your hate energy on the real bad guys in the world like the Sudanese government, Mugabe in Zimbabwe, or the terrorists killilng school children?

Even the Gore campaign considered the allegations unfounded.

Former Vice President Al Gore (news - web sites)'s presidential campaign heard but did not pursue allegations about George W. Bush's Air National Guard service, similar to the information in discredited documents aired by CBS News this month, a former campaign official said Tuesday.

Tony Coelho, who ran the campaign for several months in 2000, said he did not follow up on the claims because they were not serious enough to demand further attention.

full story

Good for you April... We can only hope others that were registered Republicans struggle out of their blinders as well! Just make sure you don't find yourself off the voters list....

I miss Regan... you got to be kidding.. How do you swallow all the Horse do do that the Republicans are feeding you? Which of the multiple reasons for invading Iraq do you support? and What does invading Iraq have to do with the war on Terrorism?

Which of the multiple reasons for invading Iraq do you support? and What does invading Iraq have to do with the war on Terrorism?

The topic of the Iraq war is so redundant, and I've grown tired of going through it again and again. But I'll oblige you. I support fighting the war on their doorstep, not ours. The world believed Iraq to have and to be creating WMD. The US stood to lose the most from Iraq have WMD. While the world believed Iraq had WMD Russia, France and Germany didn't want to go after them. Why would they, Iraq wasn't threatening them and they were making a lot of money dealing illegally with them. The rest of the world had sanctions against Iraq which did nothing but starve and kill thousands of innocent people slowly. So in a nut shell I'm in favour of Bush doctrine which is now becoming Putin doctrine as well now that Russia is realizing what kind of people we're fighting.

England and the rest of the world have discovered that burying your head in the sand doesn't work, and now each of them, especially England, is having to pay a heavy price for its ostrich policy. -Anne Frank 1944

I wonder if the world will ever learn that ignoring a problem will not make it go away. It thought it was interesting when Koffi was pushing for economic sanctions against Sudan the other day. The myopic left has no stomach for a military intervention which would save lives in the long run, but would rather perpetuate the problem by contributing to the slow starvation of hundreds of thousands.

It doesn't matter if Clinton is in power or not, the point is the Bush haters didn't hold him even close to the same standard as Bush. If there ever was a lying President it was Clinton, not Bush.

The comparison cuts both ways. The Right in the States hated Clinton as much, if not more, than the left today hates Bush.

Al Queda doesn't want WMD's or nuclear capabilities? Argue that one. And no I haven't spoken to them, I prefer to keep my head on my shoulders.

Can you offer any evidence that any of the insurgents are involved with Al Qaeda? How many Al Qaeda members are there? How many cells? Where are they based?

You on the left and your spoksmen in the left biased media were crying for results the day after it started. From the beginning the President said that the war on terror would be a long drawn out war.

And I can't help but point out again that most of "our" predictions have been born out by events. As to th e"long drawn out war", would that be the one that Bush has admitted cannot be won?

"I don't think you can win [the War on Terror]."

- President Bush, 8/30/04

Could you make a more blatently false statement? He was honorably discharged. Whether you get your info from Dan Rather or Moveon.org I think you need to find some new sources. And why are you so concerned with a 30 year old issue that has been resurected again and again by Bush haters. It's backfiring for you. You just make Bush look better. Just like Kerry trying to portray himself as a war hero 30 years ago and then challenged the Repubs to "bring it on" and challenge his record. It just backfires.

Bush was indeed honourably discharged. However, far from being a mark of exemplar service, the honorable discharge is better thought of as a standard severance, something every soldier receives unless there's significant evidence of misconduct and a commanding officer eager to brave the paperwork, panels, and disciplinary hearings required to send the soldier home with anything less. Like any number of other officers, Bush could have ducked out of his service for months and still received an honorable discharge. To demonstrate that the honourable discharge is the lowest common demoninator release from service, consider John Allen Muhammad, convicted last November for his participation in the D.C. sniper shootings, served in the Louisiana National Guard from 1978-1985, where he faced two summary courts-martial. In 1983, he was charged with striking an officer, stealing a tape measure, and going AWOL. Sentenced to seven days in the brig, he received an honorable discharge in 1985.

The topic of the Iraq war is so redundant, and I've grown tired of going through it again and again. But I'll oblige you. I support fighting the war on their doorstep, not ours. The world believed Iraq to have and to be creating WMD. The US stood to lose the most from Iraq have WMD. While the world believed Iraq had WMD Russia, France and Germany didn't want to go after them. Why would they, Iraq wasn't threatening them and they were making a lot of money dealing illegally with them. The rest of the world had sanctions against Iraq which did nothing but starve and kill thousands of innocent people slowly. So in a nut shell I'm in favour of Bush doctrine which is now becoming Putin doctrine as well now that Russia is realizing what kind of people we're fighting.

Thanks for obliging me ( I just joined) I can only assume that you have had to defend this assinine decision countless times. Let me deconstruct your points if I may. The World did not believe that Iraq had WMD, even after Powell tried to convince us, some countries bought in most didn't, have you ever seen the list of countries in the so called 'Coallition of the Willing" ?

I'd very much like to disagree with the notion that you infere that other countries, specifically Germany, Russia and France dealt illegally with them... lets see some proof, I can only imagine what you may have... By the way, did the US not originally deal with the Taliban and arm and train them?

Russia is dealing with Checnyan Muslims that should be left alone to govern themselves ( and no I am not defending them) just like the other former Soviet countries, perhaps the policies there, in Israel and in Iraq dictate the kind of response that these people feel is appropriate??