Shale gas truck seized by 'native warriors' in N.B.

When I look at decades upon decades of billions worth of handouts and the results, I have good reason to be cynical.

There are no handouts, just payment owing ... and we're far in arrears in settling claims.

I'm very cynical about our governments' evasion of laws and legal obligations ... eg, to ensure companies consult meaningfully with Indigenous communities and accommodate their concerns adequately before fracking where they hold Aboriginal rights.

Edited by jacee

There are no handouts, just payment owing ... and we're far in arrears in settling claims.

Payment owing? Really? So I suppose modern day Italy owes all the lands and peoples endless compensation their Roman ancestors conquered too? Exactly how much is enough? Please enlighten us with exact details. Perhaps all whites and countless millions of other non-natives who have immigrated here should just be deported? Is that enough?

Payment owing? Really?

Yes.

http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100028568/1100100028572

So I suppose modern day Italy owes all the lands and peoples endless compensation their Roman ancestors conquered too?

I don't know their laws and treaties. Do you? Does it matter?

Exactly how much is enough? Please enlighten us with exact details. Perhaps all whites and countless millions of other non-natives who have immigrated here should just be deported? Is that enough?

Maybe we'll just stick to our laws and treaties ... try fulfilling our obligations to prevent confrontations from developing perhaps?

Just remember ... when there's a confrontation like this one, there's usually a legal responsibility a government hasn't fulfilled.

Oh yes wilde bill I have read the randite philosophy, and I do not agree that we as individuals should do as we please with no concern for others rights. And in my view that is what she preached.

Well, then you got a completely different impression than I did. I agree that she preached we should do as we please but she also insisted on respect and responsibility. She saw the rights of individuals as paramount - no one should be allowed to steal from another.

She was one of the first to recognize that when someone said they were taking from you for the public good it was usually a lie. My experience has been that she was quite right.

However, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Mandela, his allies, and fair, rational folks throughout the world opposed apartheid. Here those who are the vicitims of a similar system want to preserve it. Go figure!

It's actually a disgrace to Mandela and what his people went through to put them in the same ballpark as our natives. Way to cheapen their struggle, how grotesque.

It sounds like you're saying that the leadership (or natives in general ?) are discredited. Maybe in the eyes of some, but I think there are a good many Canadians who rightly see their plight with more sympathy. I'm saying that opinions like yours likely polarize people - into the opposite camp from yours.

In the eyes of most, if the polls surrounding the Teresa Spence episode are any indication. You can both see their plight with sympathy and not agree with hijacking a truck at the same time. Strong opinions polarize people in both directions.

If we see poor people with white/black/yellow/brown skin differently than poor people with 'red' skin and agree to treat them differently based only on the skin, that would be the definition of racism.

Edited by hitops