Shale gas truck seized by 'native warriors' in N.B.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/06/04/nb-swn-elsipogtog-truck-rcmp.html

Shouldn't this article read "Shale gas truck hijacked by 'native activists' in N.B."?? Using the word "seized" as if they have the authority to do that is just ridiculous.

Quote:

"As police, we support anyone's rights to hold a peaceful and lawful demonstration, but things need to remain peaceful and lawful," Farrah said.

"That is very important and for us as a police agency. We have to balance our security operations with individuals' rights and freedoms in order to maintain public safety, peace and good order," she said.

End Quote

So does this mean that anyone can now hijack a vehicle in Canada as long as you are doing it during a "peaceful and lawful" demonstration? I know she was referring to the demonstration but you have to love how she made no reference to what was actually unlawful. No wonder there is a growing disrespect for local and federal government, and law enforcement in general when this type of criminal behavior continues to be acceptable in their eyes. The RCMP's hands need to untied and have to start pressing charges. At some point, local and federal governments need to get off the fence on this issue and soon.

I'm sure the green crusaders will still applaud this event or call it insignificant and by doing so, endorse it. Just wait for it.

Edited by roy baty

I was going to agree with you that stealing other people's property is not a "protest"... it's carjacking.

But then you go and say something asinine like "I'm sure the green crusaders will still applaud this event"... and it makes your entire post irrelevant because you can't comment on anything objectively. Every post you make is always with an "us vs them" mentality that doesn't foster discussion.

Looks like the Mounties are making some arrests:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/06/06/nb-shale-gas-protest-arrests-613.html

Mr. Levi's statement proves that he and his "activists" feel they are somehow above the law which they are not. Theresa Spence is just one example of how many of these band leaders have screwed the taxpayers of Canada yet we don't see anyone protesting over that do we?

Funny how many double standards there are lately and this is no exception.

I didn't say I disagreed... I said your posts are irrelevant.

You're entitled to feel they are irrelevant when they offend you or don't wash with your beliefs. For similar reasons, most of your views expressed in here remain irrelevant to me.

Edited by roy baty

• 4 weeks later...

heresa Spence is just one example of how many of these band leaders have screwed the taxpayers of Canada yet we don't see anyone protesting over that do we?

----------------------------------------------

Usman Malik

Paint up a little sign and get out there and protest.

I don't think people realize that a large proportion of New Brunswickers are on well water. If you don't live right in Fredericton, Saint John, or Moncton, then you're most likely on a well. Even towns just outside of the major cities have well water. Heck, some of the neighbourhoods in the cities are still on wells. Fracking poses a significant risk to these people's water supply and as such there has been significant opposition to exploration and the development of the fracking industry in the province. Unfortunately, the province is also in serious need of an economic boost and some argue that fracking could do just that. I highly doubt it as the money from these ventures are unlikely to go to New Brunswickers (other than the Irvings maybe). These fracking companies have even brought workers into the province for exploration, rather than hiring local people looking for work. In many ways the opposition to these things is justified.

I don't think people realize that a large proportion of New Brunswickers are on well water. If you don't live right in Fredericton, Saint John, or Moncton, then you're most likely on a well. Even towns just outside of the major cities have well water. Heck, some of the neighbourhoods in the cities are still on wells. Fracking poses a significant risk to these people's water supply and as such there has been significant opposition to exploration and the development of the fracking industry in the province. Unfortunately, the province is also in serious need of an economic boost and some argue that fracking could do just that. I highly doubt it as the money from these ventures are unlikely to go to New Brunswickers (other than the Irvings maybe). These fracking companies have even brought workers into the province for exploration, rather than hiring local people looking for work. In many ways the opposition to these things is justified.

Yea, fracking thousands of feet down, thousands of feet below the water table, in pristine, totally homogeneous ground (lol) without any current cracks (lol) poses a serious danger, LOL. Do you know anything about geology or are you as usual of an opinion but without knowledge? Hey, remember in that movie when that woman could light her water on fire! Of course its completely natural, but hey, it makes for good scare mongering. Its amazing that we have drilled umpteen thousands of oil and gas wells, and thousands more looking for same, and yet bringing up all of that oil and gas, litterally through the water table, the water doesn't seem to be be all poisoned, not even to mention that fracking has been going on for decades. But now that the eco leftists have attached themselves to the issue, it is somehow evil! Shameful, but certainly no more shameful than those same people who are ever so willing to take advantage of historical wrongs perpetrated against aboriginals in and attempt to further their ideals.

I was actually very suprised how many Hazmat incidents there are... today http://hazmat.globalincidentmap.com/map.php

none the less the natives are right, we need better safety systems to insure industrial waste and hazourdous materials don't enter our public air and water systems, or public soil as well as those things personal to us, and that they do not cross provincial or federal, including native teritorial boundaries without consent of those adminsitrations.

The federal government is making a grave error with sacrificing the natural environment especially watersheds by allowing profit before public safety.

Peoples health has been adversely effected by petrochemical companies who do not have sufficient safe gaurds as well as industries which do not put the local environment before their own profit.

The natives are right. The law was broken but for the public good.

I would let someone blow someone elses head off if they were going to release the ebola virus into a populated area... relatively this act was a good act from the message attached.

One must question if the mind is criminal, and while there could have been ways which did not require the deprivation of property.. I think that their is a sincere risk.. sadly the federal government and courts don't care about the public health before corporate profit, as far as I can tell. That is just part of the fascist system embedded into Canada.

What is the higher cause.. corporate profit over public safety...

This was brought on by a failure of the federal government to create safety measures that protect the public.

If these natives can do it some terrorist can.

None the less, imo perhaps Stantec may be able to sue for civil damages... none the less they are native so the chance of jail time is much higher than if these were some white yuppy kids.

Edited by AlienB

Perhaps we should look at in the view that the natives are tired of being screwed.

Oh great, now when I feel like things aren't going great in my life, I can jack a Brink's truck to improve them. Glad to know.

It's the usual garbage. Has NOTHING to do with land or violation of environment etc. It is exactly what it always is with reserves, the perception of a great chance to politically extort some cash from the mining company.

Edited by hitops

It's the usual garbage. Has NOTHING to do with land or violation of environment etc. It is exactly what it always is with reserves, the perception of a great chance to politically extort some cash from the mining company.

How can you say it has nothing to do with the environment ? You don't know that. You condemn these people for political manipulation, ie. capitalizing on the public's perception of first nation hardships with regards to the environment. Yet, here you are providing a cynical assessment of their motives.

If people like you pass judgement on them so easily, maybe there's a reason that they're so easily able to manipulate public opinion...

How can you say it has nothing to do with the environment ? You don't know that. You condemn these people for political manipulation, ie. capitalizing on the public's perception of first nation hardships with regards to the environment. Yet, here you are providing a cynical assessment of their motives.

If people like you pass judgement on them so easily, maybe there's a reason that they're so easily able to manipulate public opinion...

When you spend your entire political life and identify crying wolf, you don't get much credit even when a real problem happens. When I look at decades upon decades of billions worth of handouts and the results, I have good reason to be cynical.

Your last sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

When you spend your entire political life and identify crying wolf, you don't get much credit even when a real problem happens. When I look at decades upon decades of billions worth of handouts and the results, I have good reason to be cynical.

Mandela, his allies, and fair, rational folks throughout the world opposed apartheid. Here those who are the vicitims of a similar system want to preserve it. Go figure!

Edited by Sandy MacNab

It sounds like you're saying that the leadership (or natives in general ?) are discredited. Maybe in the eyes of some, but I think there are a good many Canadians who rightly see their plight with more sympathy. I'm saying that opinions like yours likely polarize people - into the opposite camp from yours.

The bottom line to all this is the randite belief that the common man is something to be tossed aside be he white, black or any other colour. The people smart enough and lucky enough to get in a position such as ALEC in the US and the Fraser Institute in Canada are entitled to own everything and crush the people who do not. However it may be coming to an end because how can you continue to make the big bucks when no one can afford to buy your product.

The bottom line to all this is the randite belief that the common man is something to be tossed aside be he white, black or any other colour. The people smart enough and lucky enough to get in a position such as ALEC in the US and the Fraser Institute in Canada are entitled to own everything and crush the people who do not. However it may be coming to an end because how can you continue to make the big bucks when no one can afford to buy your product.

Why do you say this is a "randite" belief? I've read Rand several times and never saw anything like that.

Have you actually studied the philosophy or are you just slagging Rand as some left wing strawman, or perhaps strawwoman would be more appropriate?

Could you cite where Rand said that, or even had that as a result of her philosophy?

One basic tenet of her philosophy is the idea that no one may steal from another. Seems to me a lot of common men and women in western society today could use better protection in that area.