Google de facto recognizes the state of Palestine

Despite the great resistance by the ultra-nationalistic zionists, who have battled in every way possible to prevent the recognition of a real and legitimate Palestinian State, slowly but surely, things are changing. Google has now recognized the state of Palestine.

1357234870.png

Google is de facto recognizing a state of Palestine - at least on its local home page in the Palestinian territories.

Google spokesman Nathan Tyler said Friday "We're changing the name 'Palestinian territories' to 'Palestine' across our products."

He said Google consults with a number of sources and authorities when naming countries and is following the lead of several international organizations.

The move comes after a UN decision last year upgrading the Palestinians' status to "non-member observer state."

Link

Guest American Woman

Well, if Google recognizes it, that's good enough for me; when it comes to political/world issues, I always wonder "What Would Google Do?" B)

Seriously, Google is just recognizing the UN vote, which isn't all that surprising. It would be more of a political move not to. Beyond that, I tend to find it rather meaningless. A non-issue.

Well, if Google recognizes it, that's good enough for me; when it comes to political/world issues, I always wonder "What Would Google Do?" B)

Seriously, Google is just recognizing the UN vote, which isn't all that surprising. It would be more of a political move not to. Beyond that, I tend to find it rather meaningless. A non-issue.

Google is one of the most influential companies in the world. Fight it all you want. The ball is in motion. A Palestinian State will be formed whether the Zionists back it up or not.

Guest American Woman

Google is one of the most influential companies in the world. Fight it all you want. The ball is in motion. A Palestinian State will be formed whether the Zionists back it up or not.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Google isn't going to solve anything in the Middle East.

Also, you might want to try to get out of your ingrained, pre-programmed mindset long enough to comprehend what I say, because I've said numerous times now that I do believe Palestine has a right to form a state. Read. Comprehend. Repeat. :)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Google isn't going to solve anything in the Middle East.

This is not about Google solving a problem. This is about a worldwide shift. Despite the heavy lobbying and influential powers by the extremist Zionists to continue to stall the process and to continue to steal more Palestinian land, the world is going ahead with the acceptance of a Palestinian State. The world will no longer wait for Israel to do the right thing. Because they have not.

I've said numerous times now that I do believe Palestine has a right to form a state. Read. Comprehend. Repeat. :)

That's good. I'm glad to hear that.

Just to be clear; What kind of a Palestinian State do you envision? A true, independent Palestinian State with control over its own borders, the air, the sea, security, etc, without the illegal separation wall cutting deep into its territory? Or the so-called State, the current ultra-right Zionist government has mumbled it would accept?

Edited by Hudson Jones

Guest American Woman

Just to be clear; What kind of a Palestinian State do you envision? A true, independent Palestinian State with control over its own borders, the air, the sea, security, etc, without the illegal separation wall cutting deep into its territory? Or the so-called State, the current ultra-right Zionist government has mumbled it would accept?

You go first. I don't recall you saying what you believe Israel's rights are - do you support Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state?

You go first. I don't recall you saying what you believe Israel's rights are - do you support Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state?

Sure. You want to divert another question and not answer? That's fine.

Israel has a right to exist within the border outlined by international law. If it wants to call itself a Jewish State, as long as it doesn't violate human rights laws, it doesn't make a difference to me.

So, one more time:

Guest American Woman

Sure. You want to divert another question and not answer? That's fine.

No, I "don't want to divert another question;" I simply won't let this discussion be all about Palestine's right to exist. :)

Israel has a right to exist within the border outlined by international law. If it wants to call itself a Jewish State, as long as it doesn't violate human rights laws, it doesn't make a difference to me.

I'm not asking you if you care if Israel "call" itself a Jewish state. I'm asking you if you support Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state; recognized as such. That would mean that Palestine and the Arab world would have to recognize and accept it. You know, how we accept that about the Arab states being Muslim. So in that line - do you think Muslim states are violating human right laws? What about Palestine/Hamas? Think they have violated any human rights laws?

So, one more time:

I'll get back to you right after you make yourself clear. As I said, this isn't going to be all about Palestine's rights. If that's all you're interested in discussing, I won't be following you there.

Edited by American Woman

Google de facto recognizes the state of Palestine

I'm sure the Palestinian people are overjoyed and relieved that their long sought goal, the great cause that generations of their mighty freedom fighters have so faithfully blown themselves up in pursuing, is at last achieved

I'm sure the Palestinian people are overjoyed and relieved that their long sought goal, the great cause that generations of their mighty freedom fighters have so faithfully blown themselves up in pursuing, is at last achieved

Indeed...I am sure there is dancing in the streets and candy for the children because a U.S. corporation has joined their struggle against the evil Zionists. So powerful is the mighty American Googly compared to assassinating RFK, kidnapping and murdering Israeli Olympic athletes, and suicide bombings.

I'm not asking you if you care if Israel "call" itself a Jewish state. I'm asking you if you support Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state; recognized as such. That would mean that Palestine and the Arab world would have to recognize and accept it. You know, how we accept that about the Arab states being Muslim.

We recognize 'states'. How they choose to identify themselves is up to them.

I don't believe any Muslim majority state has demanded that the UN nor other states formally recognize them as a 'Muslim state'.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, link)

Edited by jacee

No, I "don't want to divert another question;" I simply won't let this discussion be all about Palestine's right to exist. :)

I'm not asking you if you care if Israel "call" itself a Jewish state. I'm asking you if you support Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state; recognized as such. That would mean that Palestine and the Arab world would have to recognize and accept it. You know, how we accept that about the Arab states being Muslim. So in that line - do you think Muslim states are violating human right laws? What about Palestine/Hamas? Think they have violated any human rights laws?

I'll get back to you right after you make yourself clear. As I said, this isn't going to be all about Palestine's rights. If that's all you're interested in discussing, I won't be following you there.

There is no obligation by anyone to accept Israel as a "Jewish" State. The only obligation, as according to international law, is to accept Israel as a State. So your question is moot.

Last chance to answer the question about the recognition of a Palestinian State.

Guest American Woman

There is no obligation by anyone to accept Israel as a "Jewish" State. The only obligation, as according to international law, is to accept Israel as a State. So your question is moot.

Last chance to answer the question about the recognition of a Palestinian State.

Your question is moot. :)

Often a question of sheer practicality. In having statistics on immigration putting them all under the tag "israel" as a country of origin would not exactly paint a truthful picture. Nothing to do with recognising or not recognising the Palestine state. Must be a bit similar that you view immigrants from Greenland as coming from Greenland, not Denmark or even after 16 years still view immigrants from Hong Kong coming from Hong kong instead of China.

Often a question of sheer practicality. In having statistics on immigration putting them all under the tag "israel" as a country of origin would not exactly paint a truthful picture. Nothing to do with recognising or not recognising the Palestine state. Must be a bit similar that you view immigrants from Greenland as coming from Greenland, not Denmark or even after 16 years still view immigrants from Hong Kong coming from Hong kong instead of China.

I understand what you're saying but the difference is that the West Bank and Gaza are not considered part of Israel.

Some people try to minimize Google decision, but Israeli politicians are taking it seriously.

Deputy Foreign Minister Zeev Elkin wrote to Google CEO Larry Page on Sunday urging the company to rescind its decision to refer to the Palestinian territories as “Palestine” on all its products. Elkin claimed this decision was liable to have a negative impact on efforts to restart Israeli-Palestinian negotiations.

“By so doing,” Elkin wrote, “Google is in essence recognizing the existence of a Palestinian state. Such a decision, is in my opinion, not only mistaken but could also negatively impinge on the efforts of my government to bring about direct negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

“ … I would be grateful were you to reconsider this decision since it entrenches the Palestinians in their view that they can further their political aims through one-side actions rather than through negotiating and mutual agreement.”

Link

So let me see if I understand – recognizing an independent Palestine, which is purely symbolic anyway since Israel still controls the West Bank in its entirety, obstructs efforts to achieve a two-state solution, the product of which is supposed to be an independent Palestinian state?

And the reason he gives? Because it’s unilateral. Like the establishment of settlements by Israel? Like Israel’s decision to open or close a checkpoint? Like Israel’s Prawer Plan for Bedouin citizens of Israel? Like every law Israel passes or decision it makes that affect Palestinians?

Guest American Woman

Dont be so sure about that.

Google "who has the best falafel" and it will solve that dilemma

Then peace between Israel and Palestine can't be far behind. Thanks, Google! :D

Guest American Woman

Top three answers: Toronto, New York, Vancouver.

Middle East doesn't get a look in.

Interesting. In the U.S., the top four answers are New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and Israel. When I go to Google.ca, I get your top three answers. So I guess Google can't even solve that dilemma. :(

Top three answers: Toronto, New York, Vancouver.

Middle East doesn't get a look in.

There is a high Lebanese population in Ottawa, and we have a very high concentration of shawarma shops that sell some decent felafel. They also seem to own a good deal of the pizza places.