AG says, show me the money

Apparently, 3.1 BILLION is that was set aside for the war on terrorism, can't be found, but today, Clements said, oh its there but it probably got mixed up with other departments and we can't really track it. He went on to say it started under the liberals from 2001 up to 2009. Seems kinda strange and I remember under the Bush gang they also lost 3.1 Billion in the miltary fund and they said they couldn't find that either. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/04/30/pol-auditor-general-spring-report-federal-spending.html

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the Tories side and they say the money has been spent BUT they don't say exactly where. So if they know its spent then where was it spent? Maybe in advertising, robocalls, helping out on their overspending, things like that.

Come on the Liberals spent this money.

Doesn,t this remind you of Tony and the money spend on the G8 in Huntsville, some of it still hasn't been accounted for.

There must be a LOT more border gazebos out there they're not telling us about!

The very secret Gazebo Border Defence Line ... ooooo ... serious scary stuff! :lol:

Bingo... Now why is it that the Media spins this as a Tory issue? And glosses over the Hundreds of Millions the Ontario Liberals spent?

The programs that the missing was allocated to were set up in 2001. Who was in power in 2001 again?

So I wonder what the conservatives spent the money on?

You would think that after the sponsership scandal,the conservatives would be making sure that they would have corrected every liberal malpractise.

But all is still good.The voters like harper so much,3 billion is easily forgiven.

WWWTT

Your aware that this allocated bucket of money was set up 4 years before Steve Harpers time right? Under the Liberals...

The Liberals are WHY we like Harper so much..

So I wonder what the conservatives spent the money on?

You would think that after the sponsership scandal,the conservatives would be making sure that they would have corrected every liberal malpractise.

But all is still good.The voters like harper so much,3 billion is easily forgiven.

WWWTT

Another mountain from a molehill. I'm not knocking the Liberals on this one - because you have to remember what the atmosphere was like back in 2000/2001 and those horrifying 9/11 days. The government wanted to be seen as doing something to safeguard Canadians. The days of innocence disappeared and we felt we had to invest in better security.......so back then, the Liberals started spending what seems to amount to about $300 million each year by allocating a portion to many departments and it was left to each department/Ministry to create plans and implement safeguards. So the money didn't get allocated to one big bucket. I can understand how those monies got spread all over the place and are now hard to specifically account for without a forensic audit. The Liberals started it in 2001 right through to 2006 and the Conservatives took over from that point. I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually......but as usual, the CBC spin is typically anti-Tory......but what else would one expect?

Edited by Keepitsimple

but as usual, the CBC spin is typically anti-Tory......but what else would one expect?

So everyone who covered the story is anti-CPC?

National Post.... Globe and Mail.... Vancouver Sun... Reuters.... Winnipeg Free Press...

http://news.google.ca/news/rtc?ncl=dmklwQ51BUdUmHMszVquSou2e0qzM&topic=n&siidp=092638130188625f97d644e5c90742d69a0b

What is your criteria to be anti-CPC?

Your aware that this allocated bucket of money was set up 4 years before Steve Harpers time right? Under the Liberals...

The Liberals are WHY we like Harper so much..

OK then,here's a link that adds a couple of different opinions that you may not like.

http://www.thebeaverton.com/national/national-in-brief/item/696-government-on-missing-31-billion-we-left-a-nice-tip

WWWTT

Another mountain from a molehill. I'm not knocking the Liberals on this one - because you have to remember what the atmosphere was like back in 2000/2001 and those horrifying 9/11 days. The government wanted to be seen as doing something to safeguard Canadians. The days of innocence disappeared and we felt we had to invest in better security.......so back then, the Liberals started spending what seems to amount to about $300 million each year by allocating a portion to many departments and it was left to each department/Ministry to create plans and implement safeguards. So the money didn't get allocated to one big bucket. I can understand how those monies got spread all over the place and are now hard to specifically account for without a forensic audit. The Liberals started it in 2001 right through to 2006 and the Conservatives took over from that point. I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually......but as usual, the CBC spin is typically anti-Tory......but what else would one expect?

Ya who do those media think they are?

How dare they ask the government any questions at all!!!

The CBC has got a lot of nerve asking mp's and cabinet ministers questions.

Those poor conservative mps's must find all this harasment very troubling.

WWWTT

I have to wonder.... why is it that the AG is just now getting around to auditing the funding for a program set up 12 years ago? Is there a reason that the audits weren't done at the time that the Liberals actually allocated it?

Compare this to the audit on the F-35, where the AG railed hysterically about money that had not even been spent (no contracts were even signed yet). There is a clear double standard when it comes to the bureaucracy in Ottawa. Liberals in power? Look away. Conservatives? Take the real number, double it and add 30, then shout that from the rooftops.

I have to wonder....

...why the AG is picking on the Conservatives.

There is a clear double standard when it comes to the bureaucracy in Ottawa. Liberals in power? Look away. Conservatives? Take the real number, double it and add 30, then shout that from the rooftops.

Such whiny BS.

A 3.1 billion dollar molehill.

The government needs to be held accountable for their actions. If you think pissing away 3.1 billion is no big deal, then you won't mind more incompetence from the government and how records are kept and how money is tracked. I don't care if it was a Conservative, Liberal, NDP or 'other', if public money is missing, someone needs to be held accountable and dealt with to send a message to others. If that does not happen, the crappy accounting practices need to stop. When this happens in the private sector, people or departments get axed. 'What? You cannot account for 25% of your budget?'

So you can add 3.1 billion to our national debt load. Money completely wasted that we will never get back, and taxpayers are now on the hook to pay this off, which has no returned investment or value.

I have to admit I was outraged when I heard they couldn't account for the money. But if it was indeed being spent from 2001 onward, well, it's not so much a surprise. According to what I read most of the unnacounted for money went to DND, and DND was spending money on all sorts of things they might have considered qualfied. Like all the new gear fhey took into Afghanistan. I still think they should be able to account for it but laying all the blame on the Tories is more than a litlte unfair.

From how I understand this,the money is unaccounted for or there is no paper trail.

Therefore their is a possibility the money could have been stolen!

And why only now when this started 12 years ago?

This tells me that there probably was not a problem when the liberals were in power.But that could change when more info comes out.

Furthermore,if the conservatives start sounding like they're not to concerned,then they will look like hypocrites,because when the AG claimed there was a pile a money that the liberals could not account for,all hell broke lose!

WWWTT

Looks like the conservatives are getting very nostalgic for the good old days of the Gomery/sponsership days!

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/01/trudeau-attack-toronto-maple-leafs-roxanne-james_n_3195470.html

WWWTT

Ah, the Liberals "stole $40m".

Doesn't sound like much now compared to $3.1b unaccounted for by Harper Tories. Could be anywhere, in anyone's pockets ... or offshore accounts.

And what the heck does it have to do with hockey? :lol:

Edited by jacee

I have to wonder.... why is it that the AG is just now getting around to auditing the funding for a program set up 12 years ago? Is there a reason that the audits weren't done at the time that the Liberals actually allocated it?

Compare this to the audit on the F-35, where the AG railed hysterically about money that had not even been spent (no contracts were even signed yet). There is a clear double standard when it comes to the bureaucracy in Ottawa. Liberals in power? Look away. Conservatives? Take the real number, double it and add 30, then shout that from the rooftops.

Important things are held off and then released or made known when they think people won't care about it or notice it.