Mulroney on Trudeau Jnr

Adscam seriously?

You said Chretien was a crook, and while I am pretty familiar with everything that happened within the QC wing of the Liberal party I certainly don't recall Chretien being found guilty or complicit with any criminal wrong doings... I do believe Gomery said the same.

Ultimately,I think Mulroneys comments hurt Harper.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mulroney taking a stab at Harper after Harper threw Brian under the bus a few years back when the airbus issue came up again.

Mulroneys comments also help the NDP since it will only drive support between the two right wing parties of Canada-the liberals and conservatives.

WWWTT

If Mulroney endorses Trudeau it will be a boost for Harper. Mulroney destroyed the once powerful Progressive Conservative Party. It was Mulroney that created the Reform Party because he disenfranchised so mant real Conservatives. They became politically homeless! Unfortunately Harper when he made peace with the PC Party and created the CP he surrounded himself with to many PC members and forgot his Reform roots.

Of course he wins elections so what do I know! Meanwhile I once again find myself politically homeless.

Now maybe I am jelous because I will never be called handsome nor will I ever be rich like young Trudeau, but I can`t stand the guy. He just might be elected and live on Sussex Dr in the old family home but it will not be because of his vision for the country! Nobody knows what he stands for. But he sure is pretty and has a famous last name.

Except no one has ever suggested Harper was a fool, either.

He's pragmatic and power-hungry. Good things for the electorate in some ways, since he'll do whatever it takes to keep getting people to put enough ballots in the box to keep him in charge. Those things aren't mutually exclusive to being a fool though. Cutting the GST was pragmatic, giving hundreds upon hundreds of tax credits was a way to get people to vote for them, both of those things are incredibly foolish given the state of the nation's finances and the economic minefield that they were navigating.

Progressive Conservative Party. It was Mulroney that created the Reform Party because he disenfranchised so mant real Conservatives.

Sorry, but the real conservatives are the Progressive Conservatives. What we have in office today is an anachronistic band of neo-liberal fools.

I guess you're talking about those darn Tories that had the Afghan Detainee Scandal (where the UN in fact said Canada was not complicit in any wrongdoing) - and the F35 $45 billion dollar scandal (where we never even signed a contract to purchase them) and the Jail and Sentencing scandal that will cause us to build prisons to handle all the new prisoners (which never happened) or the Robo Call Scandal (the one that outside of 600 calls in Guelph, resulted in less than 400 additional calls scattered over 242 ridings) or maybe the Stats Canada Long Form Census Scandal that was going to irrevocably ruin the quality of information (Which it did not) or the Karl Hans Schrieber attempt to drag current day Conservatives through the muck - or the Maher Arar Scandal where a heartless government refused to repatriate a terrorist in a timely fashion. Day in and day out, month after month, mountains are made out of molehills that then dissipate into the non-issues that they are - but only after the opposition and media have extracted their pound of flesh.

Sorry - but when you wade through all the noise and BS orchestrated by the opposition and Left Wing media shills - led by the CBC and The Star, you'll find a communications-challenged government that has guided us through the recession better than any country in the world.

Sorry, but the real conservatives are the Progressive Conservatives. What we have in office today is an anachronistic band of neo-liberal fools.

I guess you're talking about those darn Tories that had the Afghan Detainee Scandal (where the UN in fact said Canada was not complicit in any wrongdoing) - and the F35 $45 billion dollar scandal (where we never even signed a contract to purchase them) and the Jail and Sentencing scandal that will cause us to build prisons to handle all the new prisoners (which never happened) or the Robo Call Scandal (the one that outside of 600 calls in Guelph, resulted in less than 400 additional calls scattered over 242 ridings) or maybe the Stats Canada Long Form Census Scandal that was going to irrevocably ruin the quality of information (Which it did not) or the Karl Hans Schrieber attempt to drag current day Conservatives through the muck - or the Maher Arar Scandal where a heartless government refused to repatriate a terrorist in a timely fashion. Day in and day out, month after month, mountains are made out of molehills that then dissipate into the non-issues that they are - but only after the opposition and media have extracted their pound of flesh.

Sorry - but when you wade through all the noise and BS orchestrated by the opposition and Left Wing media shills - led by the CBC and The Star, you'll find a communications-challenged government that has guided us through the recession better than any country in the world.

Very good post. It is to bad so many people get sucked into what the media wants you to believe. Maybe cyber you should make a list of all the evils this goverment has done. And the people that actually believe that justin and his band of merry men could do a better job then harper in these past troubling years, just amazes me. Edited by PIK

I agree that Canada has survived the recession better than other countries. Can Harper take credit? In part.

"... a communications-challenged government ... "

I strongly disagree. The federal Conservatives (under Harper) are aiming to reach LIVs (Low Information Voters) in specific ridings.

You have to respect a few important aspects of leadership that Trudeau fils undoubtedly possesses.

First, he can attract a crowd. Second, he can raise money. Third, he gives the Liberals their best chance to whip the NDP's butt in Quebec.

He has a lot of demerits, too. First, he's more his mother's son than his father's. He's attractive, congenial, idealistic -- and a little dull. He has no real background in politics, though he did win a tough riding. But he shows no signs of his father's icy intellect, or his toughness. And he has no 'answers'. He doesn't even seem to know what the problems are.

His most potent and immediate effect will will be felt mostly by the NDP, in my view. He will win -- if he does -- by 'uniting the left', by taking a big chunk of the NDP vote.

Sorry, but what you have in office today is a party almost entirely indistinguishable from the Progressive Conservatives, save for the lower level of patronage and the apparent absence of corruption.

You have to respect a few important aspects of leadership that Trudeau fils undoubtedly possesses.

First, he can attract a crowd. Second, he can raise money. Third, he gives the Liberals their best chance to whip the NDP's butt in Quebec.

The issue, though, is that while he might well be a charismatic speaker and good at politicking, there is no evidence he would know much or have any idea how to govern.

Correct, much of the criticism of CPC is overblown, your census example is perfect.

However, I am dissatisfied with our government for the following reasons:

-regressive changes to our criminal justice system

-Cutting the GST

-lack of accountability despite promises made in 2006 (eg: budget officer)

-lack of transparency and honesty (eg: Afgan detainee, F35)

-Deteriorating status at the UN (failing to get elected to the Security Council)

-Lack of progress in reducing child poverty - especially in the Native community

-G20, wasted money and rights of Canadians violated

-attack ads

-using government funds to promote the CPC via propaganda media campaigns

-cutting health care funding for refugees (although I do agree with most other initiatives in the immigration portfolio)

-no senate reform

Also, Arar is not and never was a terrorist http://www.sirc-csars.gc.ca/pdfs/cm_arar_rec-eng.pdf. I blame the former Liberal government as much as the CPC for this gross violation of human rights.

Edited by carepov

Sorry, but what you have in office today is a party almost entirely indistinguishable from the Progressive Conservatives, save for the lower level of patronage and the apparent absence of corruption.

Conservative only or a liberal only or even a NDP only way of thinking can not survive in goverment in todays canada, you have to be a little bit of everything.

Correct, much of the criticism of CPC is overblown, your census example is perfect.

However, I am dissatisfied with our government for the following reasons:

-regressive changes to our criminal justice system

-Cutting the GST

-lack of accountability despite promises made in 2006 (eg: budget officer)

-lack of transparency and honesty (eg: Afgan detainee, F35)

-Deteriorating status at the UN (failing to get elected to the Security Council)

-Lack of progress in reducing child poverty - especially in the Native community

-G20, wasted money and rights of Canadians violated

-attack ads

-using government funds to promote the CPC via propaganda media campaigns

-cutting health care funding for refugees (although I do agree with most other initiatives in the immigration portfolio)

-no senate reform

Also, Arar is not and never was a terrorist http://www.sirc-csars.gc.ca/pdfs/cm_arar_rec-eng.pdf. I blame the former Liberal government as much as the CPC for this gross violation of human rights.

Nobody can say that for sure, that Arar was not involved with some outfit. Edited by PIK

Conservative only or a liberal only or even a NDP only way of thinking can not survive in goverment in todays canada, you have to be a little bit of everything.

Fine. They are 'a little bit' conservative, at times, when they think it won't hurt them in the polls.

How does this distinguish them from Joe Clark's Tories?