Explosions at the Boston Marathon

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

I don't really see anything yet that points to whether it was more likely domestic or foreign attackers.

Just stating my gut reactions. Certainly I'm not claiming to know anything. Some here have said they think it looks more like domestic terrorism, and I don't see you responding to them ...

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/2-confirmed-dead-in-Boston-Marathon-blasts-Saudi/gFJ_wscY_U-wMIWUurJB6g.cspx

According to the New York Post, authorities have arrested a Saudi Arabian National in connection to the explosions. The 20-year-old unidentified suspect was reportedly hospitalized with severe burns.

Media reports also claim that surveillance video in the area shows a man hauling multiple backpacks into the blast area.

Guest American Woman

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/2-confirmed-dead-in-Boston-Marathon-blasts-Saudi/gFJ_wscY_U-wMIWUurJB6g.cspx

According to the New York Post, authorities have arrested a Saudi Arabian National in connection to the explosions. The 20-year-old unidentified suspect was reportedly hospitalized with severe burns.

Media reports also claim that surveillance video in the area shows a man hauling multiple backpacks into the blast area.

Again: the Boston police said no one is in custody - that "they don't know where people are getting that from." Apparently there are no suspects at this time.

Their numbers are not matching the rest of what I am hearing from everyone else. So this might be bunk as well, who knows. But cell phone service has now be axed ... interesting. This is going to turn out to be a big deal and blamed on domestic terrorism in my view.

But if it was a Saudi that did this, does this mean we can go into Syria now? Maybe Iran? Or what about North Korea?

Good Thought!

I agree that there would be a greater chance at this time that this is domestic terrorism (assuming that beefed up security,since 9/11, would reduce the probability of foreign).

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

I don't really see anything yet that points to whether it was more likely domestic or foreign attackers.

Exactly........They will know where the explosives came from in a few days, but that doesn’t mean they’ll know if it was foreign or domestic…..

But by the same token, a bunch of little bombs going off at sporting events, shopping centres, parks and schools etc, be they deployed by domestic or foreign individuals, are a far more effective (and logistically simple) when contrasted with 9/11.……..And have been proven to be just as effective at fostering in “terror” amongst the populace…..

I'm really, really astonished that no smaller terror attacks like this (by al-Qaeda or whomever) have happened since 9/11. Making a bomb that could kill a dozen people wouldn't be too hard to make I'd imagine and bringing it into ie. a shopping mall or busy coffee shop etc, would be extremely easy. Very doubtful the US gov could stop all such small attacks like this, even if they were tapping every phone and computer in the country.

ie; how hard would it be to obtain a hand-grenade and lob it into a dense crowd somewhere?

Edited by Moonlight Graham

I'm really, really astonished that no smaller terror attacks like this (by al-Qaeda or whomever) have happened since 9/11. Making a bomb that could kill a dozen people wouldn't be too hard to make I'd imagine and bringing it into ie. a shopping mall or busy coffee shop etc, would be extremely easy. Very doubtful the US gov could stop all such small attacks like this, even if they were tapping every phone and computer in the country.

ie; how hard would it be to obtain a hand-grenade and lob it into a dense crowd somewhere?

Very true... attacks such as these are nigh impossible to prevent.

No one can tell whether this is domestic or foreign terrorism. And the NY Post is a terrible tabloid who get things wrong all the time. They don't seem to worry about journalistic principles and ethics like much of the print media.

Again: the Boston police said no one is in custody - that "they don't know where people are getting that from." Apparently there are no suspects at this time.

http://touch.latimes.com/#story/la-na-nn-two-explosions-rock-boston-marathon-20130415/

A federal law enforcement officials said authorities were questioning a Saudi national who was taken to a Boston hospital with injuries. The person was not identified as a suspect.

Yes it's still unclear, but the feds may be ahead of Boston police.

Guest Derek L

As I have been………The manufacturing of an IED is relatively simple, essentially from a terrorists point of view, there usage would be just as effective in implementing fear amongst the US population as the one solitary attack on 9/11.…..Are we going to ban match heads fertilizer and nails?

Here we go folks

Here's a link that's going to start this thread into a new twist.

http://www.local15tv.com/mostpopular/story/UM-Coach-Bomb-Sniffing-Dogs-Were-at-Start-Finish/BrirjAzFPUKKN8z6eSDJEA.cspx

I predict this is incident is going to get much more twisted in 5...4...3....2......

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

It seems that it must be a lone individual behind all this. Firstly, the bombs were very amateurish, secondly, no organisation has claimed responsibility.

So were the IED’s that injured and killed thousands of western forces in the middle east…..

As I have been………The manufacturing of an IED is relatively simple, essentially from a terrorists point of view, there usage would be just as effective in implementing fear amongst the US population as the one solitary attack on 9/11.…..Are we going to ban match heads fertilizer and nails?

I agree. Imagine you had plane tickets and hotel reservations for a weekend trip to Boston next month and ask yourself if you'd be at least a little weary about going now, given the events? I would.

Guest American Woman

http://touch.latimes.com/#story/la-na-nn-two-explosions-rock-boston-marathon-20130415/

A federal law enforcement officials said authorities were questioning a Saudi national who was taken to a Boston hospital with injuries. The person was not identified as a suspect.

Yes it's still unclear, but the feds may be ahead of Boston police.

True, but do you think they'd release that kind of information to the media before they released it to the Boston police?

Guest Derek L

I agree. Imagine you had plane tickets and hotel reservations for a weekend trip to Boston next month and ask yourself if you'd be at least a little weary about going now, given the events? I would.

Or imagine if said attacks focused on the local Costco or ,as you said, coffee shop…….locations people go to on a daily basis as opposed to more public “landmarks”……..Clearly the Israeli experience shows multiple less extravagant attacks with create a greater psychological effect on the populace. .........

Guest American Woman

It seems that it must be a lone individual behind all this. Firstly, the bombs were very amateurish, secondly, no organisation has claimed responsibility.

Perhaps if there is a foreign group involved, they wouldn't immediately claim responsibility and put focus on them before those involved get out of the country. Just a thought.

True, but do you think they'd release that kind of information to the media before they released it to the Boston police?

I think its more that this guy is a long shot. I mean you get a guy "running away" from an explosion who is a Saudi and you should question him but this the Boston Marathon which a is a global event, he just might be someone who was caught in a very big net. Its the kind of info you don't release because chances are he isn't their guy.

Guest American Woman

I think its more that this guy is a long shot. I mean you get a guy "running away" from an explosion who is a Saudi and you should question him but this the Boston Marathon which a is a global event, he just might be someone who was caught in a very big net. Its the kind of info you don't release because chances are he isn't their guy.

The New York Post is now saying that its source was wrong:

UPDATE: Boston police have stated that no suspect is in custody. The Post's source appears to be inaccurate. http://www.policymic.com/articles/35347/boston-marathon-suspect-id-saudi-national-being-guarded-at-boston-hospital

I can't help but wonder how long it will be before they have any suspects in custody.

To me, this seems way too small, and way too amateur to be Al Qaeda. It looks a lot more like a loner/first timer.

A guy on a rooftop watching a marathon? How is that suspicious?

Ya I'd agree. Also, if I were remotely detonating a bomb, I really wouldn't want to be on the edge of a building top right next to the explosion, in broad daylight where I could get hit by shrapnel/ricochet and cameras like this could easily spot me.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

I wouldn't as I suspect that this would be a case of lock the barn door after the horse has bolted where Boston would likely be one of the safest cities in the US for the next few weeks at least.

Ya I'd agree. Also, if I were remotely detonating a bomb, I really wouldn't want to be on the edge of a building top right next to the explosion, in broad daylight where I could get hit by shrapnel/ricochet and cameras like this could easily spot me.

And I would get a better vantage point or even put up Camera's to view the attack... this is some random guy doing his job or just watching the Marathon...