Margaret Thatcher 1925-2013

Please back this up with some links. If it was posted in this thread,

Actually AW did provide a link where after Mandella's release,he went to London.Apparently Thatcher did push for Mandella's release at some point in time.

However,keep in mind that this still sounds like a contradiction considering how she treated the Irish,felt about other ruthless dictators and she still called Mandella a terrorist for trying to free the people of South Africa over white rule!

As well in her link,Nelson went against advise from his aids.

As far as I'm concerned,she did a lot more harm than good and we need to remind everyone about that at every opportunity!

WWWTT

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least Ralph Klein will have someone to hang out with in hell.

Good riddens to her. As Elvis Costello once wrote: Tramp the dirt down.

On a side note, I downloaded 'Ding Dong the witch is dead' on I-Tunes to help push it up to the top of the charts.

We'll see if the BBC has the stones to play it in their weekly countdown or if they succumb to the pressure of the Thatcher elitests.

The incivility her death has inspired seems like a natural expression of the enculturated enmity that's developed between the left and the right. Thatcher could and should have put the brakes on the hubris that filled capitalism in the wake of the collapse of the Soviet Union but instead she chose to put the pedal to the metal.

Now the very sort of capitalism and politics Thatcher espoused and is given a lot of credit for is against the same ropes of un-sustainability communism found itself. I think if the civil war of words between left and right turns into a shooting war it'll probably be one of the ugliest that humanity ever fights.

It's almost a pity that Thatcher will get to sleep like a baby through it.

Edited by eyeball

Guest American Woman

.... this still sounds like a contradiction considering how she treated the Irish,felt about other ruthless dictators and she still called Mandella a terrorist for trying to free the people of South Africa over white rule!

Speaking of contradictions, not supporting the sanctions against Iraq, while criticizing Thatcher for not supporting sanctions against South Africa, is quite the contradiction.

Guest American Woman

The situations were different. The parties were different. The sanctions were different.

Of course they were different. One was against Iraq - and one was against South Africa. Iraq and South Africa are indeed "different," as they are different countries. Interesting, though, that it was ok to hurt the blacks of South America but not ok to hurt the Iraqis. For the life of me I can't figure out why, but I imagine that's because in spite of the "differences," it's the same situation exactly. Hurting the people.

You can't draw a parallel between them. Saddam was a dictator who had always been a dictator, even during his great friendship with the U.S. Even during the years where it used chemical weapons against the Kurds and Iranians. This dictator suddenly became an enemy because he decided not to be a puppet to the U.S. While the S.A. apartheid government was a colonialist government who practised apartheid against those who it had colonised.

What difference does any of that make? The reality is - the sanctions didn't hurt them, but hurt the people who were already being hurt.

Not to mention that the type of sanctions imposed on Iraq were different. They continued to make the oil flow, while they mostly effected the people of the country by starving them of food and depriving them of medicine and common goods.

While the sanctions weren't hurting the working blacks of South Africa?? Of course they were. Sanctions are sanctions, and they hurt the people.

Your superficial comparison doesn't add up and it fails to take attention away from Thatcher being on the wrong side of history.

The only think "superficial" is supporting sanctions that hurt the people when it suits your agenda - and not supporting them when it doesn't.

Please back this up with some links. If it was posted in this thread, I must have missed it.

Indeed you did miss it. Pretty difficult to understand how, but then, some people seem to miss a lot of what's out there.

Huh? What?

Okay.

You accuse Mandela of supporting some of the worse dictators in the past 50 years? That explains a lot.

Now answer these questions:

No, thank you. :) Your questions have absolutely nothing to do with anything that I've said.

Ya that's right.

Supporting a fascist dictator that killed tens of thousands of political opponents.

Thank you for bringing democracy to Chile!

That's cherry picking in all it's glory!

WWWTT

Yes, that is a prime example of you cherry-picking. Glad you're catching on.

You still seem to have a very narrow understanding of the world, though.

The incivility her death has inspired seems like a natural expression of the enculturated enmity that's developed between the left and the right.

Actually, I think the incivility (read:complete lack of class) that has followed news of her death is an expression of the hatred the left had for her for being the first female Prime Minister of the UK, but not one of their own. I don't think Edward Heath would have inspired the same had he remained in power and followed the same path.

Yes, that is a prime example of you cherry-picking. Glad you're catching on.

You still seem to have a very narrow understanding of the world, though.

That a boy bambino,when you can't defend Thatcher,attack the messenger.

Try sticking to the debate of Thatcher

Here's some more vacuum links about how terrible Thatcher really was!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/04/neruda-pinochet-thatcher-chile-murder-exhumed.html

WWWTT

Actually, I think the incivility (read:complete lack of class) that has followed news of her death is an expression of the hatred the left had for her for being the first female Prime Minister of the UK, but not one of their own. I don't think Edward Heath would have inspired the same had he remained in power and followed the same path.

Try defending Thatcher instead of making up wild excuses.

WWWTT

The first female PM?!? Is that really what the received wisdom says? Wow, I truly thought that was just a facetious joke when I first heard/saw it but you mean that's real the reason given for so much acrimony?

...holy smokes...that's really out there.

The first female PM?!? Is that really what the received wisdom says? Wow, I truly thought that was just a facetious joke when I first heard/saw it but you mean that's real the reason given for so much acrimony?

...holy smokes...that's really out there.

No, not at all. That's just my opinion. Not any kind of "received wisdom". At least, none that I know of.

I just am at a loss to understand the reaction to her death. Like I said, I couldn't see Edward Heath getting the same reaction if he had stayed in power and carried out the same policies.

Because she was the "first female prime minister". Are you saying this is about sexism? Grow up.

“Feminists hate me, don’t they?” she reportedly said. “And I don’t blame them. For I hate feminism. It is a poison.

Because she was the "first female prime minister". Are you saying this is about sexism? Grow up.

“Feminists hate me, don’t they?” she reportedly said. “And I don’t blame them. For I hate feminism. It is a poison.

Not about sexism. Not at all.

Why on earth would you think that was what I meant? Why would you tell me to grow up if you don't understand what I meant?

Surely your lack of understanding indicates that limited growth is your problem, not mine?

Read my post again and let me know if you get it. If you don't, I'll try to explain it for you.

Its called an opinion, mate. I'm old enough to have one of my own.

Ya an opinion about how you don't like it that people are criticizing Thatcher for her plunders!

Also a misrepresentation!

Try defending Thatcher if you like her so much!

WWWTT

Add this to the growing list of how bad a prime minister she really was!!!

WWWTT

Ya an opinion about how you don't like it that people are criticizing Thatcher for her plunders!

Also a misrepresentation!

Try defending Thatcher if you like her so much!

WWWTT

It's not that I don't like the criticism. Criticism of a politician is not something I routinely fail to fathom

It's the complete "losing it" that I don't get. Surely some of the champaigne poppers were rational people at one time. Now, reduced to brainless morons by news of her death.

It puts me in mind of the reaction to the death of the Princess of Wales. At least that was positive, if still somewhat brainless.

It's not that I don't like the criticism. Criticism of a politician is not something I routinely fail to fathom

It's the complete "losing it" that I don't get. Surely some of the champaigne poppers were rational people at one time. Now, reduced to brainless morons by news of her death.

It puts me in mind of the reaction to the death of the Princess of Wales. At least that was positive, if still somewhat brainless.

LOL :lol:

Who's "losing it"?

We're just stating the facts!

Not my fault she made blunder after blunder.

WWWTT

Well it looks like those that support Thatcher in Britain are becoming troubled that her blunders are not as easily buried.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2013/04/12/should_the_bbc_heed_thatcher_supporters_and_ban_ding_dong_the_witch_is_dead.html

WWWTT

I doubt that MT would have given a toss, so her supporters shouldn't.

Witches, on the other hand, might object. Aren't they a recognised religion now?