From my cold dead hands!

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only answered your very juvenile question(s).....with extra mustard. I suspect you resent this.

no - the only resentment is continuing to waist time with you, particularly as you have no game! These most recent threads have allowed me to showcase your, as you said, "last 5 years (MLW) mission"! We're getting very close to being done here - I took you off ignore after putting you there for the better part of a year. Seeing some of your comments quoted by others, I opted to take you off ignore, thinking you might have changed... that perhaps you had finally got beyond your insecurity and ultra-sensitivity over what you were so kind to define as the, as you said, "greater CanAm dynamic" (aka your trolling and your self-proclaimed mocking). You're a poser, nothing more, nothing less. I'm even more convinced than ever... you can't be an American - no self-respecting American I know/I've known would bother with the juvenile crap you live for. Rhasida from Regina!!! USA!, USA!, USA! :lol:

Ya don't let this guy get to you Waldo,after all,anyone who has made over 30 000 post clearly doesn't get out much and MLW is a big part of his life.

Anyways here's a press release from Carrey about Fox's statements

http://samuel-warde.com/2013/03/jim-carrey-press-release-about-fox-news/

WWWTT

Guest American Woman

So now we have a fully converted American wannabe in Jim Carrey who made a living with elements of the "gun culture" he criticizes.

This pretty much sums it up. As I pointed out, he wants the world to change - by others doing the changing. This is about as hypocritical as it gets, and the fact that 'mum's the word' from the Carrey supporters here regarding the gun culture portrayed in his movies is hypocritical at best. For Carrey it's a case of 'do as I say, not as I do,' and that they aren't critical of that is quite humorous. Can you imagine the reaction from this crowd if it were a conservative speaking out for family values, criticizing others over it, while making x rated movies? :D

Another quote comes to mind: "Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

If Jim Carrey wants change, it best start with him. His harsh criticism of others is hypocrisy at its worst. It's not his views that I take issue with - but his actions in light of his words.

given he's a dual-citizen one might spoil your narrative by replacing 'choice' with 'convenience'... it's actually quite amazing to read/watch the venom being spewed at Carrey - apparently, free speech posturing only goes so far. All that venom... is it a case of the sanctity of the American gun culture being so beyond reproach on any level... or is it simply because Carrey made a few small body-appendage implications in his catchy Lonesome Earl & the Clutterbusters tune?

Venom spewed begets venom spewed, waldo. Because Carrey masks his venom in comedy I guess you don't recognize it. I believe his detractors take him far too seriously but then that's the intent - he wants to be taken seriously on this issue. He needs to step out of his comedic universe and address it seriously. Maybe then you'll recognize his hatred for those that support the Constitution and know it states that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.

Oh sure...we always get that....Canada burned down the White House too...even though it wasn't an "independent country". Fact is that new trade in slaves was banned, not existing slave ownership. Some Canadians pick and choose when they were British (or French)...an identity riddle that continues to this day.

So now we have a fully converted American wannabe in Jim Carrey who made a living with elements of the "gun culture" he criticizes.

Nonsense, the White House was burned down by British regulars. During the War of 1812 there were only a few isolated incidents of Canadian militia serving outside of Canada. The US declared war on Britain, not Canada, Canada as a country didn't exist for another 55 years. If you want to play that game, the United States as a country has to take responsibility for everything the Brits did while it was colony, including all of the Seven Years War. No double standards please.

As far as Carrey goes, most of what I have seen of him on the subject of firearms has been parody. Decide for yourself if that makes him a hypocrite but am I to understand that any non US or for that matter non Canadian born citizen should keep their traps shut when it comes to any criticism including using comedy, of their adopted country? Exclusive to native born Americans such as Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert or Canadians like Rick Mercer?

Isn't that what comedians do, use humour to expose what they see as society's contradictions?

Nonsense, the White House was burned down by British regulars. During the War of 1812 there were only a few isolated incidents of Canadian militia serving outside of Canada. The US declared war on Britain, not Canada, Canada as a country didn't exist for another 55 years. If you want to play that game, the United States as a country has to take responsibility for everything the Brits did while it was colony, including all of the Seven Years War. No double standards please.

hey, I'm just citing the popular Canadian version of things, factual or not.

As far as Carrey goes, most of what I have seen of him on the subject of firearms has been parody. Decide for yourself if that makes him a hypocrite but am I to understand that any non US or for that matter non Canadian born citizen should keep their traps shut when it comes to any criticism including using comedy, of their adopted country? Exclusive to native born Americans such as Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert or Canadians like Rick Mercer?

No, not at all, as has been repeatedly stated above (free speech rights.....more than Carrey has as a Canadian). Carrey fell into the same self created trap as Steve Nash when he criticized the invasion of Iraq while making millions in the NBA.

Isn't that what comedians do, use humour to expose what they see as society's contradictions?

Sure...but I wonder how popular the mocking of dead and constitutional rights would be accepted as funny in Canada. If Carrey struggles with his "adopted country's" obsession with guns, perhaps he should have chosen differently, but we know why he didn't do that.

hey, I'm just citing the popular Canadian version of things, factual or not.

No, not at all, as has been repeatedly stated above (free speech rights.....more than Carrey has as a Canadian). Carrey fell into the same self created trap as Steve Nash when he criticized the invasion of Iraq while making millions in the NBA.

Sure...but I wonder how popular the mocking of dead and constitutional rights would be accepted as funny in Canada. If Carrey struggles with his "adopted country's" obsession with guns, perhaps he should have chosen differently, but we know why he didn't do that.

I think you are talking about the popular American version of things, factual or not. The popular Canadian version is that we stopped your invasion of our country, factual or not. In fact, it was British regulars who saved Canada from the US, with some help from Canadian militia and Tecumseh's native confederation.

Whether it is seen as funny or not is up to the individual but is this another example of US second class citizenship. Non US born citizens cannot be President or criticize?

I think you are talking about the popular American version of things, factual or not. The popular Canadian version is that we stopped your invasion of our country, factual or not. In fact, it was British regulars who saved Canada from the US, with some help from Canadian militia and Tecumseh's native confederation.

If you say so.....comments from other Canadians (other forums / media) would seem to indicate otherwise. But your point is taken concerning different national perception(s).

Whether it is seen as funny or not is up to the individual but is this another example of US second class citizenship. Non US born citizens cannot be President or criticize?

Yes....the Constitution is quite clear about this...another item that Carrey swore an oath to. Apparently it wasn't enough to dissuade him....the money was just too good compared to what he could make in Canada.

So what, are you saying Americans never go elsewhere to make money? There is more to it than money. People who want to be at the top of their profession will go where they have to in order to get there. If it is entertainment, that would be the US. If you play soccer, the worlds most popular game, or be world driving champion, that would be Europe.

If you say so.....comments from other Canadians (other forums / media) would seem to indicate otherwise. But your point is taken concerning different national perception(s).

Yes....the Constitution is quite clear about this...another item that Carrey swore an oath to. Apparently it wasn't enough to dissuade him....the money was just too good compared to what he could make in Canada.

So native born US citizens aren't subject to the same restraints and non US born citizens. They had to swear allegence to get their citizenship but you got yours through the happy chance of birth and therefore are not bound. Got it.

So what, are you saying Americans never go elsewhere to make money? There is more to it than money. People who want to be at the top of their profession will go where they have to in order to get there. If it is entertainment, that would be the US. If you play soccer, the worlds most popular game, or be world driving champion, that would be Europe.

But do they pursue n citizenships to do that ? I think not. Nobody forced Carrey to "adopt" a nation with a vibrant "gun culture".

So native born US citizens aren't subject to the same restraints and non US born citizens. They had to swear allegence to get their citizenship but you got yours through the happy chance of birth and therefore are not bound. Got it.

Do Canadians swear an oath to the Queen upon birth...nope. I pointed out the technical language of naturalization because it specifically speaks to the idea of bearing arms. This concept is not subtle.

Guest American Woman

"Going there" and choosing citizenship there are two very different things.

At any rate, if that's why he chose citizenship here, to make more money off of his movies, it's even more hypocritical that he is choosing movies that include the gun culture he supposedly is against. As I said, it's more a matter of 'do what I say, not as I do.' Are you ok with that?

Edited by American Woman

Do Canadians swear an oath to the Queen upon birth...nope. I pointed out the technical language of naturalization because it specifically speaks to the idea of bearing arms. This concept is not subtle.

I not the one saying non Canadian born citizens don't have the same right to speak as native born Canadians. This seems to be an American concept. Keep your yap shut cause you ain't no real American. Quite right, it's not very subtle.

I not the one saying non Canadian born citizens don't have the same right to speak as native born Canadians. This seems to be an American concept. Keep your yap shut cause you ain't no real American. Quite right, it's not very subtle.

Nobody here has said that...in fact the opposite has been said. Carrey can even utter "hate speech", something he can't legally do in Canada. The Dixie Chicks are/were not Canadians.

Nobody here has said that...in fact the opposite has been said. Carrey can even utter "hate speech", something he can't legally do in Canada. The Dixie Chicks are/were not Canadians.

My question is what does his being born in Canada have to do with it? No Canadian, native or immigrant has ever got into legal trouble over questioning our constitution, charter of rights or someone else's interpretation of it.

The idea that a citizen shouldn't speak out against something that was cast in stone 230 odd years ago by a bunch of business men, some of who were slave owners or even the interpretation of it by others is like something dreamed up by Kim Jong-un.

You don't suppress free speech with law, you do it with peer pressure and intimidation.

"Going there" and choosing citizenship there are two very different things.

At any rate, if that's why he chose citizenship here, to make more money off of his movies, it's even more hypocritical that he is choosing movies that include the gun culture he supposedly is against. As I said, it's more a matter of 'do what I say, not as I do.' Are you ok with that?

If you feel he is a hypocrite, that's fine. I sometimes agree with hypocrites. Just because they are a hypocrite, doesn't automatically make what they are saying wrong.

My question is what does his being born in Canada have to do with it? No Canadian, native or immigrant has ever got into legal trouble over questioning our constitution, charter of rights or someone else's interpretation of it.

This thread was started in that context, i.e. a Canadian commenting on American "gun culture". I don't think the author realized that Carrey was an American as of 2004.

The idea that a citizen shouldn't speak out against something that was cast in stone 230 odd years ago by a bunch of business men, some of who were slave owners or even the interpretation of it by others is like something dreamed up by Kim Jong-un.

Nobody here has stated that...not sure why you keep insisting that is the case. Carrey has the right to say what he wishes, more so than in Canada.

You don't suppress free speech with law, you do it with peer pressure and intimidation.

Hate speech is 'suppressed' in Canada by law.

Then what's this crap about the constitution Carrey swore an oath to? He had to do something to get his citizenship, all you had to do is be born.

This is not an argument about citizenship....Carrey took an oath to defend the U.S. Constitution, up to and including bearing arms, which is a U.S. citizen's right (along with freedom of speech).

What Carrey said would not be hate speach in Canada.

Canada restricts freedom of speech by law in response to the comment above. Carrey has more liberty in this regard as a U.S. citizen.

Guest American Woman

Then what's this crap about the constitution Carrey swore an oath to? He had to do something to get his citizenship, all you had to do is be born.

I think that's sort of the point. Carrey chose to become an American citizen.

If you feel he is a hypocrite, that's fine. I sometimes agree with hypocrites. Just because they are a hypocrite, doesn't automatically make what they are saying wrong.

Do you give everyone who says one thing but does another a pass because you agree with what they say? I'm guessing not. Furthermore, this thread is about him; about Carrey, so I would say what he does - as he criticizes others for what they do - is quite pertinent whether one agrees with what he says or not.

So how does him choosing to be a citizen make him subject to a different code of conduct than natural citizens?

Good grief, if every movie maker and actor had to believe in the subject of every movie they make and all the characters they play, there would be very few made and you wouldn't stay awake through the rest. The hypocricy is getting really thick.