From my cold dead hands!

I guess if you want to be specific,Carrey is a Canadian born with dual citizenship.(I believe he is still a Canadian)

Carrey specifically sought and obtained U.S. citizenship, likely for tax and residency reasons completely unrelated to firearms controls. When he took the oath of allegiance (no monarch involved), he had to acknowledge the 2nd Amendment as part of the U.S. Constitution, not just free speech.

Naturalized U.S. citizens:

• Renounce foreign allegiances
  • Support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States
  • Fight in the U.S. Armed Forces, perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces, and perform civilian service in the U.S.

If you are against serving in the military because of your religious

beliefs, you may be exempted from the Armed Forces requirements. You

must send a letter with your naturalization packet requesting a modified

Oath and provide explanation as to why you cannot take the Oath as

written.

The Oath of Allegiance:

"I hereby declare, on oath,

that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all

allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or

sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or

citizen;

that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the

United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that

I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;

that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;

that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law;

that I will perform work of national importance under civilian

direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation

freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me

God."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=facd6db8d7e37210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=dd7ffe9dd4aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrey specifically sought and obtained U.S. citizenship, likely for tax and residency reasons completely unrelated to firearms controls. When he took the oath of allegiance (no monarch involved), he had to acknowledge the 2nd Amendment as part of the U.S. Constitution, not just free speech.

see general public conscientious objector... why I understand even an enlisted member of the military can actually get and receive that status - is that how you got out?

see general public conscientious objector... why I understand even an enlisted member of the military can actually get and receive that status - is that how you got out?

Already addressed above....and no, as a commissioned officer, I served at the pleasure of the President of the United States until said commission was lawfully resigned. The point above is that Canadian Jim Carrey bought into guns and armed citizens as part of the U.S. citizenship deal...the oath just drips with arms bearing fervor.

Meaning that one cannot look into changing and influencing part of the culture that he does not agree with?

No, meaning that the "culture" includes more than Jim Carrey's views on guns. U.S. citizenship rights include free speech (including hate speech)....and guns...guns...guns.....as many as you want, and an obligation to bear arms unless excused by process.

No, meaning that the "culture" includes more than Jim Carrey's views on guns. U.S. citizenship rights include free speech (including hate speech)....and guns...guns...guns.....as many as you want, and an obligation to bear arms unless excused by process.

At one point, slavery was part of the culture as well.

The gun laws will be changed just like many other laws have changed in the past.

Sure was....perfectly legal and constitutional....same as in Canada.

The gun laws will be changed just like many other laws have changed in the past.

Gun laws have already been changed in the past...30's and 60's. But not because of a Jim Carrey from Canada making money on gun culture in Hollywood.

Guest Derek L

Not anytime soon at a US Federal level……..

Okay then. Bringing up the fact that Carrey is a Canadian who received his American citizenship is a moot point. Your personal hurt feelings about Canadians and their thoughts on America has nothing to do with what Carrey can or cannot do. Carrey can talk about his negative feelings towards the gun laws in U.S. and he can try to influence the American culture even though he decided to become a U.S. citizen. Getting your U.S. citizenship does not mean that you need to agree with everything in the U.S. culture.

Edited by Hudson Jones

Okay then. Bringing up the fact that Carrey is a Canadian who received his American citizenship is a moot point. Your personal hurt feelings about Canadians and their thoughts on America has nothing to do with logic and rational. Carrey can talk about his negative feelings towards the gun laws in U.S. and he can try to influence the American culture even though he decided to become a U.S. citizen. Getting your U.S. citizenship does not mean that you need to agree with everything in the U.S. culture.

I don't follow....as I'm the one who pointed out Carrey's citizenship status. He can say whatever he wishes, including HATE SPEECH, as he is an American citizen. But he also took an oath to defend the U.S. Constitution.

Do you support Carrey's right to HATE SPEECH ?

Guest Derek L

Gun laws have already been changed in the past...30's and 60's. But not because of a Jim Carrey from Canada making money on gun culture in Hollywood.

In ‘68 said laws (Gun Control Act) were changed with the outside notable Hollywood support of Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Kirk Douglas, Richard Widmark and Charlton Heston………It’s too bad said laws were never truly enforced…….Of course putting the mentally ill in a Federal database will get all the bleeding hearts in an uproar also…….Damned if you do, damned if you don’t

Edited by Derek L

Do you support Carrey's right to HATE SPEECH ?

I do! I do! As long as he remains a comedian and couches his hatred in comedy. When he is President of the US (Maybe he can hide his birth certificate)

then he will have to temper his hatred and be a little more understanding and tolerant besides knowing what is and what is not constitutional.

Guest Derek L

You're welcome. Just thought I'd mention it well reading your interesting posts. :)

Glad you find them interesting, poor grammar aside, for I was far from the goodest at said subject ^_^

Actually not. Slavery was abolished in the British Empire long before Canada became an independent country so it has never been sanctioned by Canada's constitution. There were very few in Canada even before abolition. Historically, the biggest practitioners of slavery in what became Canada were first nations.

Edited by Wilber

I do! I do! As long as he remains a comedian and couches his hatred in comedy. When he is President of the US (Maybe he can hide his birth certificate)

then he will have to temper his hatred and be a little more understanding and tolerant besides knowing what is and what is not constitutional.

and a birther too! :lol: Ok, ok... just for clarity, what parts of the U.S. Constitution has Obama 'breeched/broken'?

It is? He's Canadian by birth, but American by choice, so it's about an American citizen criticizing the NRA/Charlton Heston - as he has no qualms about making money glorifying gun violence in his films. As has been pointed out, he has a right to speak his mind, but It's kind of pointless to criticize and mock a dead man, IMO.

given he's a dual-citizen one might spoil your narrative by replacing 'choice' with 'convenience'... it's actually quite amazing to read/watch the venom being spewed at Carrey - apparently, free speech posturing only goes so far. All that venom... is it a case of the sanctity of the American gun culture being so beyond reproach on any level... or is it simply because Carrey made a few small body-appendage implications in his catchy Lonesome Earl & the Clutterbusters tune?

Actually not. Slavery was abolished in the British Empire long before Canada became an independent country so it has never been sanctioned by Canada's constitution. There were very few in Canada even before abolition. Historically, the biggest practitioners of slavery in what became Canada were first nations.

Oh sure...we always get that....Canada burned down the White House too...even though it wasn't an "independent country". Fact is that new trade in slaves was banned, not existing slave ownership. Some Canadians pick and choose when they were British (or French)...an identity riddle that continues to this day.

So now we have a fully converted American wannabe in Jim Carrey who made a living with elements of the "gun culture" he criticizes.

So now we have a fully converted American wannabe in Jim Carrey who made a living with elements of the "gun culture" he criticizes.

dual citizen... so, it is the small body-appendage implications in the catchy Lonesome Earl & the Clutterbusters tune that you take exception to!

dual citizen... so, it is the small body-appendage implications in the catchy Lonesome Earl & the Clutterbusters tune that you take exception to!

"Dual citizen" is a Canadian dodge and mindset.....don't mean much down here, Son. Go back upstairs and read the oath that Carrey bought into for his new found riches, tax haven, and warmer weather residences. This is so typical.....

"Dual citizen" is a Canadian dodge and mindset.....don't mean much down here, Son. Go back upstairs and read the oath that Carrey bought into for his new found riches, tax haven, and warmer weather residences. This is so typical.....

look... don't take those small body-appendage 'rubs' too personally... did you buy your corvette yet? :lol: