Iraq Invasion - America's Shame... 10 years on

waldo

in light of this weeks 10 year anniversary, even if you choose to ignore the Neocon lies, the illegal war status, the coincident dropped ball in Afghanistan, the devastation of Iraq, the loss of life (4400+ U.S. troops, 320 "coalition of the willing" troops, 16,000 Iraqi military/police, 100,000+ Iraqi civilians***), the thousands of life-impacting wounded, the direct and ongoing monetary costs to both Iraq and the U.S. ($2 trillion+ to the U.S.), the corruption, the negative world-wide reputation hit to the United States, the reinforcement of cowboy diplomacy, etc...... the best that can be said is, the Arab Spring has truly arrived in Iraq! Oh, wait... the government the Iraqi people are increasingly rising up against, is the puppet government installed by the U.S.! --- the same government forging alliances between the majority/ruling Shiites and the predominantly Shiite Iran. Iran thanks you for your service!!!

(*** depending on 'official' versus 'other sources', the direct impact to Iraq rests with claims that more than 1.5 million Iraqi have been killed, 800,000 civilians are missing, 4 million were forced to exile outside Iraq, with another 2 million forced to relocate internally within Iraq).

nothing says it more than to read (the real) decider in chief Dick Cheney's recent assessment where he gives a passing nod to the "shock & awe" of preemptive strike (aka the "Cheney "Bush Doctrine"):

the Iraq War was justified because, 'the U.S. eliminated a regime that might have at some future time posed a threat'.

hubris.png

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to the 'Coalition of the Willing' on the anniversary of the Iraq invasion and resulting demise of Saddam Hussein. The U.S. 'regime' was rewarded with re-election in 2004 (the defiant basis for my member name). Congratulations to Canada as well for securing post invasion oil service contracts.

Congratulations to the 'Coalition of the Willing' on the anniversary of the Iraq invasion and resulting demise of Saddam Hussein. The U.S. 'regime' was rewarded with re-election in 2004 (the defiant basis for my member name). Congratulations to Canada as well for securing post invasion oil service contracts.

And a crushing defeat in 2006 when all the details came to light over the course of 2005. Oh I forgot we pretend the things we don't like and the realities didn't happen around here.

Here 'ya go.....and remember, PM Martin begged President Bush for a piece of the action because Canada actually helped after all.

Post-Saddam Iraq awards its first oil contracts

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

BAGHDAD — Iraq has awarded its first oil development contracts since
the fall of the Saddam Hussein regime.

The Oil Ministry has awarded development contracts to companies from
Canada and Turkey. Turkey's Everasia was awarded a project to develop the
Khurmala Dome oil field in northern Iraq. Canada's Ironhorse Oil and Gas was
selected to develop Himrin field.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/05/front2453424.975.html

The realities are that Iraq was invaded and occupied by Presidents Bush and Obama. Built a big ass U.S. embassy too. You gotta problem with that ?

It is huge.

http://cryptome.org/eyeball/usemb-iq/usemb-iq.htm

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=baghdad,iraq&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=33.299041,44.387898&spn=0.009792,0.021329&t=k&om=0&hnear=Baghdad,+Baghd%C4%81d,+Iraq&z=16

Guest American Woman

What's a thread about "America's shame" without giving credit where credit is due?

Canada's support for the Iraq war was gratefully acknowledged by then-U.S. Ambassador to Canada, Paul Cellucci. On March 25, 2003. during the "shock and awe" bombardment of Iraq, he admitted that "ironically, Canadian naval vessels, aircraft and personnel...will supply more support to this war in Iraq indirectly...than most of those 46 countries that are fully supporting our efforts there.

Here 'ya go.....and remember, PM Martin begged President Bush for a piece of the action because Canada actually helped after all.

That is weird all the reports I have read say Kirkuk (Khurmala Dome) is being developed by the Korea National Oil Corporation.

What's a thread about "America's shame" without giving credit where credit is due?

Canada's support for the Iraq war was gratefully acknowledged by then-U.S. Ambassador to Canada, Paul Cellucci. On March 25, 2003. during the "shock and awe" bombardment of Iraq, he admitted that "ironically, Canadian naval vessels, aircraft and personnel...will supply more support to this war in Iraq indirectly...than most of those 46 countries that are fully supporting our efforts there.

Whose intel was that support based on again?

Guest American Woman

Whose intel was that support based on again?

Canada doesn't have any intel capabilities? - Is that "Canada's Shame?" Because after all, what kind of an excuse is it for a country to involve itself in war because 'it didn't know any better?'

Seems like they awarded the contract to a Canadian company then went back on it. I can't find where the status of it is now.

http://globeinvestor.com/servlet/ArticleNews/story/ROC/20041225/2004-12-25T193421Z_01_N25599859_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESS-ENERGY-IRAQ-HIMRIN-COL

Canada doesn't have any intel capabilities? - Is that "Canada's Shame?" Because after all, what kind of an excuse is it for a country to involve itself in war because 'it didn't know any better?'

No we clearly don't have the intel capabilities that the US has. I guess we thought a close ally wouldn't lie us into a war, I think the American people thought the same thing. I guess we were all fooled.

No we clearly don't have the intel capabilities that the US has. I guess we thought a close ally wouldn't lie us into a war, I think the American people thought the same thing. I guess we were all fooled.

I wasn't fooled. Canada's intel capabilities were/are largely irrelevant...then...and now. The U.S.A's closest ally (U.K.) was in it from the git go.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Guest American Woman

Really. So Canada has complete faith in everything the U.S. government says? You do too? You believe our governments never lie? I sure don't. For the record, I never believed Iraq had WMD at the time.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/jordan-jordanie/bilateral_relations_bilaterales/canada-iraq.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Canada is currently the 8th largest foreign investor in Iraq with a
strong representation by Canadian oil companies in Iraqi Kurdistan.
Reconstruction efforts in Iraq will continue to create significant
business opportunities for Canadian companies who have become
increasingly involved in the infrastructure, transportation,
agriculture, housing and power generation sectors.

Guest American Woman

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/jordan-jordanie/bilateral_relations_bilaterales/canada-iraq.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Canada is currently the 8th largest foreign investor in Iraq with a

strong representation by Canadian oil companies in Iraqi Kurdistan.

Reconstruction efforts in Iraq will continue to create significant

business opportunities for Canadian companies who have become

increasingly involved in the infrastructure, transportation,

agriculture, housing and power generation sectors.

I can't believe that there are Canadians who are hyper-aware of everything the U.S. does who didn't know that. Perhaps a little more concern regarding their own country is in order? Edited by American Woman

Really. So Canada has complete faith in everything the U.S. government says? You do too? You believe our governments never lie? I sure don't. For the record, I never believed Iraq had WMD at the time.

Well I don't any more but up until that point you had a pretty good track record of not lying to our faces at least for the most part eh? Trust of course is something you earn and lose which I guess you guys are ok with.

Guest American Woman

Well I don't any more but up until that point you had a pretty good track record of not lying to our faces at least for the most part eh? Trust of course is something you earn and lose which I guess you guys are ok with.

If that upsets you, that another country lied to you, how upset are you that your country lied to you about not being involved in Iraq?

If that upsets you, that another country lied to you, how upset are you that your country lied to you about not being involved in Iraq?

I always assume the choices American governments make our governments will follow. We have an old saying up here:

"In America they have their Hawks and they have their Doves but in Canada all you are going to find are Parrots" At least as long as we keep electing Conservative-Conservatives and Liberal-Conservatives.

Edited by punked

He only has a problem when America "lies" to him. However, he has no problem with other countries lying to him. See Russia, Greece, Iran, North Korea, Iraq, Zimbabwe, Syria, Cuba, Pakistan, China, or the United Nations.