What's with the Indians anyway?

Argus

So a while ago a couple of Italian marines shot a fisherman. They were on board an Italian freighter, and the fishing boat was apparently getting too close. God knows why they thought it was a pirate but they did and killed an Indian fisherman. Everyone seems to agree this was in international waters but somehow or other the Italians came to be arrested by India and charged.

The Italians were allowed to go back home to vote in the Italian election to which I say "huh!?" because the Italian government promised they'd come back afterward (really!). Now the Italians have reneged and told the Indians they're not coming back and the Italians will try them in Italy. So far so goofy.

Well, yesterday the Indian Supreme Court, in a fit of pique (they were the ones who said the Italians could leave) ordered the Italian ambassador to not leave India. Apparently being on the supreme court in India doesn't mean you know much about law. The Indian government has agreed, without specifying how they intend to do so, to obey the Supreme Court.

Right now the Italian ambassador says he's not going anywhere, but what the Indians think they're going to do if he or his government decides otherwise is a tad confusing. The Indians, if you go by the comments sections on on-line papers are all for basically arresting the entire Italian embassy and trying them for murder. I'm wondering just where this is headed if the Italians lose their patience and tell their ambassador to come home.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Supreme-Court-restrains-Italian-ambassador-Daniele-Mancini-from-leaving-India/articleshow/18966112.cms?

Diplomats have immunity. If India violates that they violate their relationship with not just Italy, but Every. Other. Country. In. The. World. I'm sure that diplomats from other countries are making that point rather clear to the government right about now.

I despise this immunity crap. There was a hit and run involving a foreign diplomat here in Ottawa a few years ago, the person who was hit died, and the diplomat went home without any repercussions.

I despise this immunity crap.

Lots dont but it is a necessity of every country and without it the ramifications are worse.

There was a hit and run involving a foreign diplomat here in Ottawa a few years ago, the person who was hit died, and the diplomat went home without any repercussions.

Not quite. He lost his job when he got home and was put on trial in Russia. Not sure of any conviction due to lack of evidence due to no breathalyzer being taken.

Diplomats have immunity. If India violates that they violate their relationship with not just Italy, but Every. Other. Country. In. The. World. I'm sure that diplomats from other countries are making that point rather clear to the government right about now.

What gets me is this country makes pretensions towards British style civility, but rather than some ignorant rabble rouser it's their own Supreme Court demanding the government block him from leaving. These are what passes for judges on the Indian Supreme Court? Have any of them ever read a law book or do they get appointed due to the quality of their beards?

Edited by Argus

I would suspect that the breach of undertaking that the Envoy gauranteed is the reason he is to be held from leaving the country.

It appears to make sense in the same way that you ould be required to forfeit the bond should you guarantee someone will appear in court.

It also appears not to be clear that they were in in Inter'l waters either.

Interesting to say the least.

Lots dont but it is a necessity of every country and without it the ramifications are worse. Not quite. He lost his job when he got home and was put on trial in Russia. Not sure of any conviction due to lack of evidence due to no breathalyzer being taken.

slap on the wrist. go check it out. he was quickly released. driving drunk and killing a Canadian in Russia was no big whoop. didn't lose his job by the way they shuffled him. have a vodka.

Edited by Rue

I would suspect that the breach of undertaking that the Envoy gauranteed is the reason he is to be held from leaving the country.

It appears to make sense in the same way that you ould be required to forfeit the bond should you guarantee someone will appear in court.

It also appears not to be clear that they were in in Inter'l waters either.

Interesting to say the least.

Italian marines. Uh yah. From what I hear you fart and they head to shore real quick. Viva Italia...almost as quick

as the French.

They might want to send in the Canadian navy. We can send some inuit after them in a kayak.

Edited by Rue