childlike squabbling

The Rules & Guidelines are pretty clear. Squabbling as name-calling is not allowed. Squabbling as discussion of issues is what this board is about.

In particular the non-discussion of issues. IE the presentation of information and questions by both sides that is then ignored by the other side.

In particular the non-discussion of issues. IE the presentation of information and questions by both sides that is then ignored by the other side.

I want to bump this as I've seen it before.

Examples:

Bob: My car is the best car.

Alice: No it is not, it is rusty.

Bob: Oh yea? My car was the best selling car model ever!

Alice: And the breaks don't work

Bob: Look at these sales figures, also, my car lasts longer than any other.

Alice: I'm looking and what I see is a bucket of bolts, it's falling apart.

Bob: You must be blind, look at these facts and figures!

Alice: I'm not the blind one, your door fell off last thursday!

Bob: I was in an accident genius, this car model has the longest life expectancy.

Alice: You were in an accident because your breaks don't work.

Bob: I was hit by another car!

etc etc etc

Rather than talking to one another, they talk past one another.

Edited by TheNewTeddy

I want to bump this as I've seen it before.

.....Rather than talking to one another, they talk past one another.

This is by design, as there is more than one discussion and audience for member posts, IMHO. Let's break it down:

• There is the direct exchange between two or more members, but this is not the primary channel
  • There is the larger exchange and secondary comments by the core group of prolific contributors; this is primary
  • There is the much larger passive member audience that rarely engages (by choice)
  • There are several search engines that yield site content to non-members who have no current member relationship context

This is not a one dimensional exercise in web chat between two or more individuals. It is a multi-layered dance with multiple channels that is loosely restricted by reasonable forum rules that do not hinder the exchange of ideas. Few here think they will actually change another member's opinion or political stance, but such exchanges facilitate the communication of ideas to the larger audience.

And it is all grand fun.

This is by design, as there is more than one discussion and audience for member posts, IMHO. Let's break it down:

• There is the direct exchange between two or more members, but this is not the primary channel
  • There is the larger exchange and secondary comments by the core group of prolific contributors; this is primary
  • There is the much larger passive member audience that rarely engages (by choice)
  • There are several search engines that yield site content to non-members who have no current member relationship context

This is not a one dimensional exercise in web chat between two or more individuals. It is a multi-layered dance with multiple channels that is loosely restricted by reasonable forum rules that do not hinder the exchange of ideas. Few here think they will actually change another member's opinion or political stance, but such exchanges facilitate the communication of ideas to the larger audience.

And it is all grand fun.

Didn't think I'd ever do it, but thumbs up on that post.

I did not want to point any fingers but given the lack of attention by the admins, looks like I will have to.

This thread was started in response to this exchange.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=22430&page=3

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=22430&page=4

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=22430&page=5

Poster 1: Read my post again

Poster 2: No you read MY post again!

citation: http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=22430&p=886631

Poster 2: Where did I say (Pusan) did not happen?

Poster 1: (quoting that post) You are like a soviet history book!

citation: http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=22430&p=886671

Not really sure how you could define the discussion, especially the latter half of it, as anything except childlike squabbling. The two of them monopolized the entire thread for half of pages 3 and 5 and all of page 4, without anyone else saying anything, and by the end of it, they talked past one another, not addressing the points raised, and making personal attacks against one another.

I should add that neither poster seems to be in the "right" here, both are adding to the toxic atmosphere.

Thus I ask again: is this against the rules?

Edited by TheNewTeddy

• Forum Admin

Teddy - you need to report these issues if you think that they're a problem.

Yes and no. Obviously, if everyone reports every infraction you see, the Mods and my self will be overwhelmed with reports, and nothing will be done. So keep this in mind - everyone is responsible for ensuring the quality of the forums stays at a high level.

If you see petty squabbling, tell the posters to take it off the boards. We have a chat room and private messaging where members can squabble all they want.

I will repeat it again - EVERYONE is responsible for ensuring things run smoothly around here. If we all run to the Mods every time something happens, nothing will be done.

Lets all take some ownership in this place.

• Forum Admin

Ok, I've had enough of the bitching and complaining -- I've let it go on long enough.

I've close this thread, if you want to whine, do it over email, PM or in the chatroom.