Canadian Terrorists: Who Are They?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by some definitions I have seen posted on this site, then the "Idle No More"movement could be described as terrorists. Have you noticed we dont hear of many cases where Dutch, Swedish, other Scandinavians commit terorist acts. profiling is sometimes accurate.

Not really

Anders-Behring-Breivik-20617893-1-402.jpg

one insane person does not prove anything - I stand by my comments

How many insane people does it take to prove something, though ? How about as a percentage of the total ? Or are you measuring insanity in a culturally relative way - for example, people who don't believe in God, or believe too much are insane ? What about people who hear God speaking to them ? Allah ? Jesus ?

My point is - you can't use religious affiliation as a barometer of anything in this regard. There is no evidence that any one religion infects people and causes them to behave in an anti-social way.

Insanity as defined legally has nothing to do with terrorism.

One look at the world and any reasonable person would say that Islam does seem to produce the preponderance of terrorists right now. It's not Islam by itself causing this, but the mix of the conversion ideology of Islam and social conditions in most Islamic countries. Islam, as people have pointed out, needs a reformation to move ahead.

And, with the Canadian born terrorists, they seem to be all Muslims as of late. Can't say it's our social conditions that cause them to do this, so there is something about Islam that does. The whole concept of jihad. No other religion seems to have that as such an explicit motiv.

Michael - how do you account for the fact that most terrorism is committed by Islam fanatics?

While terrorism isn't limited to Islam, it comes with a built in terrorism clause that is Mohammed approved.

http://quran.com/3/151

We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve for what they have associated with Allah of which He had not sent down [any] authority. And their refuge will be the Fire, and wretched is the residence of the wrongdoers.

While terrorism isn't limited to Islam, it comes with a built in terrorism clause that is Mohammed approved.

http://quran.com/3/151

This post could be refuted with dozens of biblical quotes about killing blasphemers, gays, adulterers, etc, etc... Both holy books are a story of God's violent escapades and the incitement of His followers to kill all sorts of people for no good reasons!

Michael - how do you account for the fact that most terrorism is committed by Islam fanatics?

I have a lot of responses, such as: what is terrorism ? what measures do we have that relate terrorism to cause ? how do we separate religious terrorism from other ethnic or tribal terrorism ?

If you want to move past that, and just take it as a given that Islamic based terrorism is a chief threat right now, which I concur seems pretty obvious, then we can ask what types of people adopt terror - is it anybody who holds that religious affiliation ? Does it make sense for us to bar anybody with that affiliation ?

There are a lot of ways to look at it.

If you're asking "why" is this kind of terrorism most prevalent - it seems to me that we have a large tribe of people in the most marginal areas of the world, who are not part of our world. We have come to a point where our differences with these people need to be resolved, and we haven't engaged with any of them as equals up until this point.

This post could be refuted with dozens of biblical quotes about killing blasphemers, gays, adulterers, etc, etc... Both holy books are a story of God's violent escapades and the incitement of His followers to kill all sorts of people for no good reasons!

Then do it. I'm not a Christian...I care not.

:)

I have a lot of responses, such as: what is terrorism ? what measures do we have that relate terrorism to cause ? how do we separate religious terrorism from other ethnic or tribal terrorism ?

If you want to move past that, and just take it as a given that Islamic based terrorism is a chief threat right now, which I concur seems pretty obvious, then we can ask what types of people adopt terror - is it anybody who holds that religious affiliation ? Does it make sense for us to bar anybody with that affiliation ?

There are a lot of ways to look at it.

If you're asking "why" is this kind of terrorism most prevalent - it seems to me that we have a large tribe of people in the most marginal areas of the world, who are not part of our world. We have come to a point where our differences with these people need to be resolved, and we haven't engaged with any of them as equals up until this point.

Does it make sense for us to bar anybody with that affiliation ? If both tribes continue on the road we are going down then i would say yes, we should bar them, and why not ? Can you see the major difference in our cultures closing the gap any time soon,.Can you see Candians willing to give up anything to lessen the gap, i don't , and yet i also see Canadians not willing to end this with a military solution either....

Do you see them as equals, i mean aside the fact i think most Canadians are firm believers in human rights etc etc....do you see most middle eastern nations as equals to todays Canadians....their values, morals, belief structures...or are you saying i should turn a blind eye to how they treat one another let alone a foreignor like me. Or do we bury our heads in the sand let them kill each other, until they catch up with our standards of treatment, morals, values.

Does it make sense for us to bar anybody with that affiliation ? If both tribes continue on the road we are going down then i would say yes, we should bar them, and why not ?

Because the country is built on immigration, and you're barring people who want to get away from that type of thing. You're also denying Canada a lot of good immigrants to stop a tiny number of bad ones. And there's no evidence that other groups are better, on the whole.

Can you see the major difference in our cultures closing the gap any time soon,.Can you see Candians willing to give up anything to lessen the gap, i don't , and yet i also see Canadians not willing to end this with a military solution either....

Yes, I do see the gap closing. The middle east is starting to come alive now that there's a possibility for people to take power into their own hands.

Do you see them as equals, i mean aside the fact i think most Canadians are firm believers in human rights etc etc....do you see most middle eastern nations as equals to todays Canadians....their values, morals, belief structures...or are you saying i should turn a blind eye to how they treat one another let alone a foreignor like me. Or do we bury our heads in the sand let them kill each other, until they catch up with our standards of treatment, morals, values.

What do you mean 'they' ? The leaders ? There is a path, a chance for progress. GW Bush saw it too.

Not all cultures have evolved and are eqeal. Christianity has eveolved so that translation of the bible today is not preached from the pulpit of hatred for their fellow man.

Unfortunately Islam is on a road to kill anyone who disagrees or even questions the Koran. It is not hard to prove. Open tomorows paper to prove my point. Unfortunately it is mostly Muslims that are the victims of the intolerant Islamists..

Pretty broad statement and wrong on both counts. Some Christians do preach hate for their fellow man, some Muslims don't.

First ,I don`t know of any Christian Church that preaches hatered. Over the past year and a half I have attended several Churchs in the main stream and I have not found any hate being espoused. As for Muslims I have not said they all do. It is the Islamists that are producing hatred and terrorism. Muslims are the greatest victims of these fanatics.

When was the last time you have seen mass murder,suicide bombers,all in the name of Christ or Christian main stream Church`s.

Really? You've never heard Chrisitians preaching hatred against gays, say? When Falwell said 9/11 was God's punishment for all the gays in NYC, was that a loving statement? When Protestan Christians say Catholics aren't Christians, and only Christians go to heaven, everybody else is doome to hell, are those lovign statements? When that pastor burned the Koran, was that a loving thing to do?

Here's what you said:

Not all cultures have evolved and are eqeal. Christianity has eveolved so that translation of the bible today is not preached from the pulpit of hatred for their fellow man.

Unfortunately Islam is on a road to kill anyone who disagrees or even questions the Koran. It is not hard to prove. Open tomorows paper to prove my point. Unfortunately it is mostly Muslims that are the victims of the intolerant Islamists..

The underlined statements are all inclusive, other wise you would have used the word "some". And you did not say Islamists, you said Islam is on a road to kill...

Do you understand the logical fallacy to say "I've been to a few Christian churches" as being prood that no Christians preach hatred?

Finally, yes, Christianity had the reformation, contributed to the enlightenment, and there are many Christians who don't preach hate or even that they are the only way to God. Unfortunately, some Christians, especially in the US, but we've got them in Canada too, have tried to reverse the advances Christianity has made. Preaching hate, moving to join church and state and teaching crap like new earth creationism.

I do agree that Islam as a whole is going thru a crisis right now - hope they fight the light at the end of the tunnel. I agree that most terrorism is perpetrated by Muslims right now, but that has as much to do with politics as it does with religion. We've just had a report that our homegrown Islamic terrorsists are born in Canada, were not brought up to be religious, nor were they radicalized in mosques. The the report said they had more in common with the IRA and other groups that are about territory, not spreading the Koran.

When you write posts like the one above, it's better to sprinkle in some qualifiers. You'll get much less of a reaction that way, unless that is what you were seeking.

Edited by Canuckistani

Terrorism is a political term that was force-fit into a legal framework. Terrorists are the bogeymen that right-wing knuckle-draggers had to invent after the last bogeymen (communists) self-immolated. Self-immolation is remarkably easy when you're only a paper tiger to begin with.

We will stop worrying about terrorism when another useful enemy appears or has been invented.

Orwell's 1984. Art that is now imitated by life.

You say "it's not hard to prove" yet nobody has done that here.

Your post is just a troll, an insult without anything to support it.

Gosh that is hard to "prove"...took like 5 minutes.

You wasted your time then, as the assertion wasn't proven. How do seven independent stories prove that a religion is trying to kill anyone who disagrees with it ? Unfortunately, we've been down this road before and people don't seem to learn what a "proof" isn't.

Billions of peaceful Muslims around the world and people still can't seem to understand that terrorism, according to the world's leading intelligence agencies, is politically motivated first and foremost, then ossified by religious dogma. It's not the religious dogma that's influencing the political extremism. If CSIS, CIA, and MI5 believe this to be true, then it seems highly likely that this would be the case. I would take their word over the cowardly ramblings of Islamophobes on the internet.

You wasted your time then, as the assertion wasn't proven. How do seven independent stories prove that a religion is trying to kill anyone who disagrees with it ? Unfortunately, we've been down this road before and people don't seem to learn what a "proof" isn't.

I think I must have missed today's Mormon suicide bombings.