Rob Ford, mayor of Toronto UPDATES

WWWTT

No, I don't think so. I think the Fords aren't planning the PR.

Why don't you think so?

I agree they aren't planning so much as making it up on the fly. It's still spin, though, albeit a different kind that what we're used to. I've never seen a scandal-ridden politician come out with his big confession, give passing mention to "family" (Ford, FTR has a wife and two young kids) but make an specific point of singling out a family member to show they weren't involved. Hard not to imagine Doug grabbing his little brother by the throat and screaming at him to to keep Doug out of it.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story is a dumpster fire.

Ford would actually have received some sort of sympathy from a great deal of people if he just said he'd take a break. Now he just appears like a stubborn holic.

"I won't ever, do any of this again"

With all the reporters and police following everything he does, I doubt he could ever keep that promise. This is just a repeating cycle.

No, unfortuantely for Rob Ford birthers, the video is illusive and therefore doesn't exist. Just like a mirage. But don't let that stop you from participating with the other members of your echo chamber. You guys can keep discussing how the video must exist somehow, and how the diabolical mastermind Rob Ford is thwarting your efforts to uncover his litany of evil and nefarious plots.

I love this quote.

Why don't you think so?

I agree they aren't planning so much as making it up on the fly. It's still spin, though, albeit a different kind that what we're used to. I've never seen a scandal-ridden politician come out with his big confession, give passing mention to "family" (Ford, FTR has a wife and two young kids) but make an specific point of singling out a family member to show they weren't involved. Hard not to imagine Doug grabbing his little brother by the throat and screaming at him to to keep Doug out of it.

Lots of reasons.

Rob's lawyer said that he didn't know that the revelation was coming. Making it up on the fly is not how you do PR - it's spinning, but without a plan it's like calling punching somebody a military offensive. He could be keeping Doug out of it - maybe that was the idea - but he also made him look pretty stupid.

Lots of reasons.

Rob's lawyer said that he didn't know that the revelation was coming. Making it up on the fly is not how you do PR - it's spinning, but without a plan it's like calling punching somebody a military offensive. He could be keeping Doug out of it - maybe that was the idea - but he also made him look pretty stupid.

Perhaps but that doesn't really counter what I was saying above about the presser being a move to keep the heat of Doug.

It'll be interesting to see if news will be made of the reporters that laughed at Ford when he said: "God Bless Toronto".

I had to reread Christie Blachford's take on the incident a few times because I couldn't believe what she was saying.

It’s wrong for him to embarrass the office and the city; it’s fine for the press to sneer at him when he invokes a corn-pone blessing.

Yes, Christie, it is fine for the press to sneer at him for saying "God Bless Toronto" after essentially saying he's bringing the city down with him. Laughing at him is not the ethical equivalent of smoking crack, firing people for telling you to get help, lying about it, and then refusing to take responsibility for your actions even after you admit them.

Edited by BubberMiley

Yes, Christie, it is fine for the press to sneer at him for saying "God Bless Toronto" after essentially saying he's bringing the city down with him. Laughing at him is not the ethical equivalent of smoking crack, firing people for telling you to get help, lying about it, and then refusing to take responsibility for your actions even after you admit them.

I think she's saying the press should be more restrained (I took that article you're talking about along with the other one she wrote in which she mentioned the media horde that wouldn't get off Ford's property and was peering in his windows), since it's not only just distasteful, but also because it plays directly into Ford Nashun's whole the-Mayor-is-a-victim-of-the-pinko-press narrative.

Doug in full spin mode.

“I said to Rob ‘I don’t know what to believe anymore with you’ but I also said ‘I don’t believe for a minute he is a crackhead’,” he said, adding he clearly understands “alcohol” is a major problem.

The last bit is interesting since Doug has repeatedly denied any such issues in the past. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't know his brother was a drunk until recently.

I think she's saying the press should be more restrained...since it's not only just distasteful, but also because it plays directly into Ford Nashun's whole the-Mayor-is-a-victim-of-the-pinko-press narrative.

It's not distasteful to laugh at those words in that situation; it's honest. This is a guy who, a week ago, was calling for some random guy and his boss to be fired because someone got a picture of him with his head down. Beating him to death would be distasteful. Laughing at him is kind, under the circumstances.

Perhaps but that doesn't really counter what I was saying above about the presser being a move to keep the heat of Doug.

So Rob didn't know Doug was going to call out the police chief ? Or Rob changed his mind about going after the chief ?

I'm saying that there's no thought being put into this, so you can't call it PR as such - just walking up to a microphone and talking in itself isn't PR, but maybe we're saying the same thing here...

So Rob didn't know Doug was going to call out the police chief ? Or Rob changed his mind about going after the chief ?

IMO Rob went off script for whatever reasons Rob does anything.

I'm saying that there's no thought being put into this, so you can't call it PR as such - just walking up to a microphone and talking in itself isn't PR, but maybe we're saying the same thing here...

The second presser was an attempt at damage control. Hasty, sloppy, transparent, but damage control all the same.

Who says Tory is running?

Ford’s words jolted the nascent 2014 election campaign in which he has pledged to be a candidate. Radio host and former Progressive Conservative leader John Tory is now a safe bet to run, high-ranking Conservatives said, though he does not plan to make an announcement until the winter; a Tory bid would damage the chances of Councillor Karen Stintz.

“We’re putting the old band back together,” a senior Conservative close to Tory said, referring to the team from Tory’s 2003 run against David Miller.

From the Star.

Doug could salvage a small amount of credibility by holding Rob to the standard he held Blair yesterday and call for Rob to resign. He would have nothing to lose by doing so, because Rob doesn't have enough honour to listen to him anyway.

Edited by BubberMiley

Doesn't having two centre-right candidates help Ford ?

Not if only Chow runs for the Left.

Remember those who say they'll run from the start won't necessarily finish. Rocco Rossi and Giorgio Mammoliti were both a centre-right candidate last election but bowed out when it appeared they had no shot. Joey Pants the far left candidate stayed until the bitter end and that ate into Smitherman's support.