Recreational shooting and firearms collecting thread

kimmy

Guest Derek L

My TT-33 is here!

It's a 1938 Tula. I'm pretty pleased with the condition. It's obviously seen

quite a bit of use, as there is visible wear on some of the parts, but

overall it's in nice shape. One part I'm not thrilled with is the

grips. They seem to be made out of BakeLite, or some equally crappy

Russian equivalent. One of them has a small chip missing off a corner.

The

hammer has a half-cocked position which is nice. Completely locks both

the slide and the trigger. I ordered a package of snap-caps from

Pachmayr on the same day I bought the gun. I never imagined that the

gun would arrive before the snap-caps. Once they get here I'll be able

to play with the mechanism and get a better idea of how it feeds and

ejects.

I've already disassembled it and reassembled it

and cleaned it and done all the maintenance. Everything looks like it

should work.

As advertised, it came with a leather

holster, 2 magazines, a cleaning rod, and a lanyard. I have no idea

what I'm supposed to do with the lanyard.

-k

Hence why you need some wood grips happy.png

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hence why you need some wood grips happy.png

I might make a leather wrap for it, using my super arts-and-crafts skills.

I bought a crappy leather jacket at Value Village for $5, and I've unstitched all the seams. I've started making a scabbard for my Model 60, and I'll have lots left over. I have been thinking of making butt-stock covers for my Russian rifles as well. I could probably do up something pretty nice for the TT-33.

-k

Guest Derek L

I might make a leather wrap for it, using my super arts-and-crafts skills.

I bought a crappy leather jacket at Value Village for $5, and I've unstitched all the seams. I've started making a scabbard for my Model 60, and I'll have lots left over. I have been thinking of making butt-stock covers for my Russian rifles as well. I could probably do up something pretty nice for the TT-33.

-k

That’s awesome……..My daughter embroidered my name in Rhinestones with the aide of a Bedazzler on a $400 leather case for father’s day when she was 7 wink.png

Still have it too laugh.png

I love the tilting bolt mechanism in my Russian rifles, but the short recoil mechanism in the TT-33 is even more ingenious. I gather it was invented by Browning for the 1911? Anyway, I've now got all the paperwork to make everything official. Now when the RCMP come to my place to ask me to turn down my stereo, instead of knocking on the door they'll kick it down with guns drawn and shout "WHERE ARE THE GUNS? WHERE ARE THE GUNS??!" laugh.png

On the shotgun front, I have read that some people think that the ultimate in versatility is a 12g break-action shotgun with a kit of gauge adapters that let you shoot a variety of ammunition. An outfit called "GaugeMate" even makes 10-inch rifled adapters for most pistol calibres. A short double-barrel "coach gun" with an adapter might make for a handy pack gun.

-k

Guest Derek L

I love the tilting bolt mechanism in my Russian rifles,

Though not bad, a rotating bolt (like on a M-14 or AK-47 and many commercial rifles) is far superior………….Your tilting bolts are generally going to be found on handguns and less powerful rifles……..tilting bolts will generally be incorporated into milled steel receivers due to the bolt locking into the receiver itself, hence the receiver requires extra strength, which equals more weight…….
Now rotating bolts will generally lock into the barrel as opposed to the receiver, allowing the receiver to be made of a lighter material, but more importantly, a rotating bolt has less head space between the pin and cartridge creating a more accurate rifle……….It’s much more easy to maintain due to it’s simplicity…….It’s less prone to extracting issues since the backside of the spent cartridge comes into contact with the rearward twisting/rotating motion of the bolt which twists the cartridge like a jar of pickles , loosening it prior to the bolt extracting it……..Also due to the rotating bolt locking up better, you can use hotter ammo…..
One of the reasons why the young lady in your pic is holding a Nagant (with rotating bolt) as opposed to a SVT-40.………..

I gather it was invented by Browning for the 1911?

You bet.........Damn near every modern firearm has a Browning feature........some more then others wink.png

Anyway, I've now got all the paperwork to make everything official. Now when the RCMP come to my place to ask me to turn down my stereo, instead of knocking on the door they'll kick it down with guns drawn and shout "WHERE ARE THE GUNS? WHERE ARE THE GUNS??!"

dry.png

On the shotgun front, I have read that some people think that the ultimate in versatility is a 12g break-action shotgun with a kit of gauge adapters that let you shoot a variety of ammunition. An outfit called "GaugeMate" even makes 10-inch rifled adapters for most pistol calibres. A short double-barrel "coach gun" with an adapter might make for a handy pack gun.

As for the shotgun adaptors…………about as accurate as throwing a hotdog down a hallway at the unicorn……..Shooting a pistol calibre round through a shotgun with said adaptors will probably cause the cartridge to go bang, but said rifled round inside the adaptor will have no relationship with the shotgun’s sight(s) and be less accurate then a 2” barrelled pistol with no sights…….
We had a 410 adaptor for the 12 gauge for when my daughter was little……..used it a couple of times, then bought a 20 gauge for her……..I either still have it somewhere or sold it to a rube at a gun show………
But nothing wrong with a (cheap) break-action………If you want a coach gun, get a Stoeger……..Another Beretta owned company….But for the price, fork out the extra money and get a pump.

• 1 month later...
Guest Derek L

Had a laugh at this article:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/Column+toting+locavores+aren+doing+world+favour/8261545/story.html

But there’s a new gun nut in town. Once upon a time you could find him wandering gentrifying neighbourhoods in skinny jeans and a retro T-shirt carrying an armload of vinyl in one arm and pushing a fixed-gear bike with the other. But lately he’s traded his turntable for a firearm, and slung over his shoulder is a 12-gauge birdgun or a scoped 30-06 hunting rifle, with loose shells spilling out of his coat pockets.

Hunting is suddenly fashionable. But what is remarkable is that this increased interest is coming not from people on the political right, but from those who usually identify with the progressive left. And it is threatening to undermine the gun control lobby from within at time when the U.S. is having the most serious conversation about the issue in decades.

The hipster hunter trend has been quietly building for a few years. In 2011, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg announced that he would only eat meat from animals he had personally slaughtered. He said his motivation was both ethical and environmental — to understand where his food came from, and to consume as much of the animals that he kills as possible.

Like I said, the article, written obviously by an anti-gunner, dredges up numerous stereotypes, but the funniest one by far is how “hunting has suddenly become fashionable”………And hipster hunters, what will they think of next?
The author’s disdain for people doing something that he objects to is rather telling with this parting shot:

If anything, the locavore culture ties into an utterly reactionary world view, seeking to drag society back to the 19th century. But more critically, it is — to put it mildly — a bit of a problem for the gun control lobby that a significant percentage of self-styled progressives are pushing a moral program that requires a massive increase in gun ownership among the very people it ought to be able to count on as its core constituency.

The upshot is, you can believe in local food, or you can believe in gun control. But you almost certainly cannot believe in both.

Well I fore one welcome new people to the community, a community that by and large was one of the first groups to practice sustainable resource management and conservation, coupled with a personal introduction to firearms. Simply put, the more people to gain first hand knowledge pertaining to the ownership and safe operation of firearms in Canada is only a good thing for our society…….Welcome skinny jean wearing Hipsters......just leave the jazz music at home, it scares the animals :D

Guest Derek L

I'm a lefty (though not a hipster..) and I hunt!

In fact, headed out tomorrow with my son for three days of Spring Turkey hunting!!! The boy will be handling the calls while his old man handles the 12ga!

Oh I figured as much ;) I know there are some "lefties" not afraid of guns, my sister and brother in-law are true BCTF union drum banging school teachers and orange crushers, and own guns and hunt, they even quietly enjoy evil handguns :o

I'm assuming by hipsters, the author is referring to younger "progressives", the type found in drum circles, trendy locally owned coffee shops, rallies & marches and sporting horned rimmed glasses, scarfs, wool caps, the above mentioned skinny jeans and canvas sneakers.......maybe driving a 40 year old Honda motorbike, VW beetle or micro-bus etc ;)

hipster.jpg

Anyhoo, I'll welcome them just the same.........Not too sure what type of gun a "hipster" would own........any ideas?

Guest Derek L

Just heard the RCMP has deemed the new Norinco Type 97NSR a non-restricted, as such they shall start arriving in Canada this summer:

Get your Type 97NSR pre-ordered:

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/25/norinco-type-97-rifle-5-56mm/

http://frontierfirearms.ca/index.php/norinco-type-97-223-rem-non-restricted-may-delivery.html

http://www.theammosource.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2118

And I'm sure other dealers will be hawking them too:

Norinco%20Type%2097%20NSR.jpg

This rifle will quickly become “Canada’s AR-15” what with the RCMP deeming them a non-restricted rifle, their relatively cheap price and their ability to use STANAG magazines with the .223REM/5.56 NATO cartridge.
I wonder if the first shipment, prior to being even produced yet, has sold out and how many rifles will be bought within the first couple of months?

• 2 weeks later...

The short overall length would no doubt be handy.

However, to me it seems like it would have to be held in a way that would lend to a less accurate shooting position than a traditional rifle layout.

-k

Guest Derek L

The short overall length would no doubt be handy.

However, to me it seems like it would have to be held in a way that would lend to a less accurate shooting position than a traditional rifle layout.

-k

Yeah, like I was saying to you earlier, I had the opportunity years ago to “test fire” an Australian AUG……IMV, a Bullpup does feel unorthodox and I suppose would take getting use to…….With that said, the Chinese T97 is about the same overall length as my (well the wife’s) CX-4.…..For a bigger person with a larger length of pull, I’d figure both would be similar………I think a smaller stature person wouldn’t have a problem with it, and it might even be a comfortable platform (once you got use to it)
At the end of the day, the “intent” of it’s Chinese parent design is that of a CQB weapon, in that you’re likely not going to require taking shots past 40-50 yards, well being superior inside say a building with tight corners etc……….Still, I’d likely wait until after the first batch has been out and others have reviewed it…….Also, I’m certain to satisfy the Mall Ninjas, further refinements might see a removable front and rear sight/carrying handle in favour of the installation of “rails” and all their assorted “goodies”….Then, you might see an influx of used first gen rifles being sold to finance a more tacticool version…..yea might pick one up cheap in a year or so…..

:)

• 1 month later...
Guest Derek L

So the latest “rumour” I’ve heard of another new rifle coming to Canada, a rifle the RCMP has confirmed it’s received it’s FRT# from them, is “speculated” to be a semi-auto, non-restricted version of the Polish Tantal………Not sure if it will be in 5.45x39mm (Which is made from unobtainium in Canada) like the actual AK-74 or 7.62x39mm ,which is practically free here, like the AK-47, VZ.58, Chinese Type 81 and SKS 45

Tantal_REMOV.jpg

The other rifle that is both confirmed and will be in stores this fall is the semi-auto version of the Chinese type 81:

type81-b.jpg

Both guns will come non-restricted (and not registered) with a barrel over 18.5” and restricted (and registered) under 18.5”………The Chinese gun should cost ~$1100, but I heard that price will come down, and the Tantal about a similar price point as the VZ58/CZ58 (~$800-900)………..

Edited by Derek L

Guest Derek L

"recreational shooting" and "firearms collecting" are two of the most uncivilized pairings of words in the history of mankind. Sorry folks.

Sorry to hear that you feel that way..........I guess the increasing trend of your fellow Canadians going through the process of obtaining their firearms licence is worrisome to you………I think it was between September and December of last year alone, nearly 90k new firearms licences were issued by the RCMP……….And of course, firearms sales are through the roof here in Canada, despite shortages of Americans manufactured firearms, which can be attributed to new Canadian gun owners and the influx of quality built and affordable Eastern European guns and cheap Chinese (pirated) copies of popular Western Arms……..

I’m sorry to hear that you feel that your fellow Canadians are “uncivilised” because they partake in something you don’t agree with……….You better not, for your own sake, investigate what is coming in the weeks ahead from the CPC policy convention…….you would surely lose sleep.

Ah damn, every time I see this thread I get a little depressed. I'd love to own a gun. Love to. But my dear wife is pretty uncomfortable about the gun issue, and she's pretty reasonable about some of the stuff I come home with. I recently bought a Stihl gas combination trimmer, 500 bills, and she was fine with it.(These things are a lot of fun! But then I do all the yard work, and we've got a lot of hedges, bushes and trees) Anyway, I once brought a pellet gun home and she was disappointed with me/it. Returned it and haven't ventured out that way since.

Anyone have spouse gun issues like this, and if so, how did you handle it or do you now sleep in separate beds?

Guest Derek L

Ah damn, every time I see this thread I get a little depressed. I'd love to own a gun. Love to. But my dear wife is pretty uncomfortable about the gun issue, and she's pretty reasonable about some of the stuff I come home with. I recently bought a Stihl gas combination trimmer, 500 bills, and she was fine with it.(These things are a lot of fun! But then I do all the yard work, and we've got a lot of hedges, bushes and trees) Anyway, I once brought a pellet gun home and she was disappointed with me/it. Returned it and haven't ventured out that way since.

Anyone have spouse gun issues like this, and if so, how did you handle it or do you now sleep in separate beds?

For my wife, it's not that she opposes firearms, she also has her Restricted Licence and has her own restricted and non-restricted firearms, but her qualms are related to what percent of our disposable income should be spent on future purchases……..The way around, cash payments and conspiring children ;)

The best advice, find a local range/club that that does rentals (with instruction) for novices and bring her along to try it, then do the required safety course together……….All in for the safety course and licensing fees for the two of you, you’re looking at ~$500 for you to both get your restricted license……..Guns and ammo are extra ^_^

A great many women are getting into the sport, and once any predisposed stereotypes are put to rest about the “community”, they two enjoy it just as much as men……..Ask Kimmy. :)

Guest Derek L

Just noticed you're in Abby.........go here to try it out:

http://www.vancouvergunrange.ca/

It's expensive when compared to owning your own guns, but it’s a good start.

For the safety courses, these guys are good out in your neck of the woods:

http://hubsports.com/

Go into their store, and the guys behind the counter would be more then willing to answer any questions........and once you get your licence, they might not have the biggest selection, but they have fair prices.........much better then going to Wholesale Sports on the Langely Bypass :)

Guest Derek L

Thanks, when I was a kid I used to go to Hub Sports for fishing gear, me and my buddies would fish at Mill Lake.

Well there you go......I haven't been in since just after Christmas......I've no issues with the place , other then it being quite a drive from my place and have found the staff (and I think owner) very helpful and friendly........A buddy buys their discounted, reloaded ammo and hasn't had a problem either.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Derek L

Thought I'd make another post/review.........So just picked up one of these from Wholesale Sports over the weekend:

Super-X-Pump-Defender-Shotgun--MID-51225

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/firearms/pump-action-shotguns/speed-pump/prod249710.html

Had it out today and put about 250 rounds of various trap and buckshot loads and not a single issue……..And like it’s advertising, it is the fastest pump action shotgun on the market……so fast I’d liken it to being almost like a semi-auto……..Several of the major components are Belgium (Browning) made, and the gun itself is put together in Turkey……Don’t let the thoughts of Turkish manufacture fool you, the quality control is waaaay better then the lower end Remington’s and Mossberg’s………
Now if you’re the type that likes to Barbie doll up a gun, stay away, there is next to no aftermarket accessories made yet……..As I’ve also heard some squawking about the mag capacity only being 5+1.…In my opinion, no bid deal.
I purchased the Defender with the 18” barrel, but they also make a hunting model with I think 28” barrel, but you can buy the various barrels/chokes separately and it takes all of 10 seconds to change the barrel…..
For just over $400 with the tax, get one..or three….

http://www.bnd.com/2013/07/17/2697257/belleville-accidental-shooting.html

Last year, 140 children and teenagers in Illinois were killed by a firearm, according to data from the Children's Defense Fund in Washington, D.C. Nationally, 2,694 children and teens were killed by firearms last. On average, 2,826 children under the age of 19 die from gunshot wounds annually in the U.S.,

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2013/07/17/2697257/belleville-accidental-shooting.html#storylink=cpy

Guest Derek L

And here's a couple of vids on the Winchester SXP demonstrating the "Speed Pump":

And obviously this fellow is a competitive shooter, but it demonstrates the smoothness of the pump cycling……reloads are on you

Also forgot to add, the SXP also takes 3" magnums (Come here turkey turkey turkey) and has a (black) chromed lined barrel.....which is very rare for a shotgun, but demonstrates it's durability................As I said, not bad for just over $400 with the tax.

I'll have to upload a coulpe vids I took at the range with a friend. Got to fire couple different firearms. The 12 gauge tactical shotgun was a bit bit/long for my arms. First crack, not seated right in my shoulder .. gave me a nice big bruise. :D

Since then he has acquired a couple more I am itching to smack some targets with.