US dead last in health care

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Not at all what I said.

Dental and eye can be included and covered under OHIP if they are an emergency.

Then dental care and eye care are not "rights" in the same way as medical care, as fillings and eyeglasses would be covered if they were.

[

A cleaning is not an emergency

So preventive medical care isn't covered?

Conversely, health care is not a right if you are not a resident of the province for more than six months, emergency or not ?

Odd way to define rights, IMHO.

Not true across the board. There are many situations where that does not apply. However if one vacations or retires somewhere else ousid eth country then yes, that is valid.

I am not arguing the rights issue here. Thats for others to do . I understand there are no 'rights' per se but waldo eludes to the healthcare act which in a roundabout way does suggest just that.

Then dental care and eye care are not "rights" in the same way as medical care, as fillings and eyeglasses would be covered if they were.

Emergency dental care and eye care are covered under OHIP.

So preventive medical care isn't covered?

one can have mammograms, or MRI's etc and its all covered.

Not true across the board. There are many situations where that does not apply. However if one vacations or retires somewhere else ousid eth country then yes, that is valid.

Ummmm....OK....the words "arbitrary" and "capricious" come to mind.

I am not arguing the rights issue here. Thats for others to do . I understand there are no 'rights' per se but waldo eludes to the healthcare act which in a roundabout way does suggest just that.

The CHA is a federal-provincial entitlement program, not new rights for Canadians.

Guest American Woman

Emergency dental care and eye care are covered under OHIP.

That doesn't answer my question, though. Are fillings and eye glasses considered an emergency?

one can have mammograms, or MRI's etc and its all covered.

So dental care isn't a "right" in the way that medical care is. A dental cleaning , after all, is preventive care.

Awesome thread so far.

I mean we have a topic about the state of health care in the USA, and all we get is push back from the usual suspects about how much Canada sucks compared to them.

Don't feed the f'n trolls. Slap that report button.

But it's fun. Actually, the OP was about the state of health in the US - my mistake for the title. But, since it became a discussion of healthcare, some of us have put out metrics just how poor the US system is, especially if you take the cost into consideration. Private health care just doesn't seem to deliver a cost effective product, and administration costs are way more expensive than single payer.

But, when you've got nothing, you twaddle on about minutiae.

That doesn't answer my question, though. Are fillings and eye glasses considered an emergency?

So dental care isn't a "right" in the way that medical care is. A dental cleaning , after all, is preventive care.

Dental care seems to be a 'right' , gotta love that 'fluoride'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_fluoride

Fluoride salts are used to enhance the strength of teeth by the formation of fluorapatite, a naturally occurring component of tooth enamel.[8][9] Although sodium fluoride is also used to fluoridate water and, indeed, is the standard by which other water-fluoridation compounds are gauged, hexafluorosilicic acid (H2SiF6) and its salt sodium hexafluorosilicate (Na2SiF6) are more commonly used additives in the U.S.[10] Toothpaste often contains sodium fluoride to prevent cavities.[11] Alternatively, sodium fluoride is used as a cleaning agent, e.g. as a "laundry sour".[7] A variety of specialty chemical applications exist in synthesis and extractive metallurgy. It reacts with electrophilic chlorides including acyl chlorides, sulfur chlorides, and phosphorus chloride.[12] Like other fluorides, sodium fluoride finds use in desilylation in organic synthesis. The fluoride is the reagent for the synthesis of fluorocarbons.

Marge, you're soaking in it.

Are your Q-tips covered?

Moving out of a house full of smokers is preventative care. Call your HMO and see if they'll cover it.

We have de-listed several services in an attempt to cut costs. I suspect several more currently covered services will be de-listed as the boomers continue to age.

In Ontario, we cap the billings of physicians; which, means many clinics close their doors long before closing time. As of 2010, we publicly cover about 70% of medical procedures.

In short, it seems Americans with insurance receive far better care than we do. BUT...far too many Americans do not have private insurance and this system is still costing taxpayers a fortune. I believe Canada would benefit from a system like the Swiss have, but it seems that the US has a greater need for change.

Guest American Woman

Are your Q-tips covered?

So you don't have an answer. Ok. That tells me all I need to know. Dental and eye care are not covered - just emergencies - which means they are not considered a "right" like medical care is. Again. I find that odd. I don't understand why dental and eye care would not be a "right" if medical care is.

Moving out of a house full of smokers is preventative care. Call your HMO and see if they'll cover it.

huh.png

So "moving" is a medical procedure? Because a cleaning is a dental procedure.

Ok.

They may come to your mind , but they have absolutely no application to this. There is nothing arbitrary about the rules nor capricious.

OK...just for the folks keeping score at home....so called healthcare rights for Canadian citizens depend on legal residency, province, basic vs. deluxe treatment, dental, pharma, optometric, dog, cat, and the latest winner of Supreme Court challenges, unless you are a "status Indian".

Got it ?

So you don't have an answer. Ok. That tells me all I need to know. Dental and eye care are not covered - just emergencies - which means they are not considered a "right" like medical care is. Again. I find that odd. I don't understand why dental and eye care would not be a "right" if medical care is.

Not sure your angle here. I never said it was a right.

I gave an answer, , emergency dental or eye care occurs and it is covered,

So "moving" is a medical procedure? Because a cleaning is a dental procedure.

NO moving is preventative care just as you asked. Edited by guyser