Cyber-bullying

Merlin

Cyberbullying is the use of the Internet and related technologies to harm other people, in a deliberate, repeated, and hostile manner.

Canada

Similarly, a Canadian study found:

• 23% of middle-schoolers surveyed had been bullied by e-mail
  • 35% in chat rooms
  • 41% by text messages on their cell phones
  • Fully 41% did not know the identity of the perpetrators.

Source

I have myself recently become a victim of cyber-bullying and am finally gaining the strength to come forward and face my tormentors directly. It's a shame so many have to suffer this abuse in silence and are to afraid to come forward and yell STOP!

Amanda Todd took her own life as a result of bullying as have a number of other teenagers and people in general. it's terrible that people who hide behind a computer screen can wield so much power. The power to destroy someones life, the power to keep that person down, the power to drive that person to kill themselves. It's terrible and it's happening everyday, all around us. Even here on MLW. Not only directed at me but to others as well. Shameful.

Anyone who thinks they are being bullied should tell someone right away. Don't wait too long, it can damage your psyche.

Moreover, bullies can gang up on their victims on electronic pages more efficiently than they do in traditional bullying, since there is no limit to the number of people who can join in, following a bullying statement.[41]

One possible advantage for victims of cyberbullying over traditional bullying is that they may sometimes be able to avoid it simply by avoiding the site/chat room in question. Email addresses and phone numbers can be changed; in addition, most e-mail accounts now offer services that will automatically filter out messages from certain senders before they even reach the inbox, and phones offer similar caller ID functions.

Source

This definitely can help people who are being bullied on forums like these. One solution is to avoid the forums altogether but in my mind that lets the bully win and reduces the enjoyment of life for the person being bullied.

On the forums here and elsewhere their seems to be a pile on effect where as one person starts the bullying then others join in on the "fun" then their is a whole mob of people who are tormenting this one person on the forum.

Still useful for me to include some ways to avoid being bullied here in this thread.

Here is a great resource I found to help those who are experiencing cyberbullying or know someone who has.

http://www.cyberbullying.ca/

Edited by Merlin

Give him the benefit of the doubt. Who cares anyway. His real name is neither Merlin nor Mr. Canada. Just call posts out as you see them, and let due process take its course.

If he's like that douchebag Mr. Canada, he won't be able to resist outing himself eventually. He will inevitably misbehave. But if not, good on him.

Give him the benefit of the doubt. Who cares anyway. His real name is neither Merlin nor Mr. Canada. Just call posts out as you see them, and let due process take its course.

If he's like that douchebag Mr. Canada, he won't be able to resist outing himself eventually. He will inevitably misbehave. But if not, good on him.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't call Merlin Mr. Canada.

From a chatroom with a middle-schooler whose identity is not fully known?

Seriously, replies like that only reinforce Merlin's schtick. If he ever did go to the media, it would be used as evidence of his claim.

Yah you think this message board has more swing then it does. This isn't the Dailykos or anything.

Yah you think this message board has more swing then it does. This isn't the Dailykos or anything.

DailyKos is so far left and its positions predictable that it's more often ignored.