Native chief over 20 days in hunger strike to protest Budget Bill

Eyrie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She chooses to starve herself in protest. She refused to meet with the Indian Affairs Minister. She is willing to meet with opposition MPs. As much as I don't like Harper, or the current gov't, I can't fault them for their current position.

Is there any real purpose behind this thread other than to breed hostility?

The hunger strike is a form of protest and its a sacred fast in our culture. We do not have many options to protest/oppose or reject any legislation without being labelled as a 'terrorist'. Beleive me when I say, that the native nations are exhausting every effort to resist peacefully and strive for a positive relationship with the current government. Duncan has no place at the negotiating table. He has no authority and in fact represents what is horribly failing us all. If we are going to make any progress with discussions, it has to be leader to leader.

Offer sound solutions instead of antagonizing the situation please.

I believe she is, the government has been stalling and dragging their feet just long enough to let china make you its newest citizen. Yay FIPA, when your tax dollars start going to all the law suits china will be throwing at your government, I wonder how quickly you will be able to solve the problem then. Your rights are at the stake just as much, yet they dont want you to figure it out. and by the time you do, it will be too late.

Yeah, I didnt actually think you had any solutions and I am sure you would like us all to be quiet and simply go away, but we're not. Threads like this are pathetic and reminds me that I got better things to do. This is why we have so much animosity between Natives and non- natives.

Edited by NativeCharm

I believe she is, the government has been stalling and dragging their feet just long enough to let china make you its newest citizen.

Hyperbole.

Yay FIPA, when your tax dollars start going to all the law suits china will be throwing at your government, I wonder how quickly you will be able to solve the problem then. Your rights are at the stake just as much, yet they dont want you to figure it out. and by the time you do, it will be too late.

All of this your stuff. We're all the same people.

Yeah, I didnt actually think you had any solutions and I am sure you would like us all to be quiet and simply go away, but we're not. Threads like this are pathetic and reminds me that I got better things to do. This is why we have so much animosity between Natives and non- natives.

I have a solution. You're living in the past. I think we need to move forward.

I have a solution. You're living in the past. I think we need to move forward.

the only solutions being offered have been at the historical and ongoing expense of the native peoples. In order to move forward you have to deal with the past, today.

Is there any real purpose behind this thread other than to breed hostility?

The hunger strike is a form of protest and its a sacred fast in our culture. We do not have many options to protest/oppose or reject any legislation without being labelled as a 'terrorist'. Beleive me when I say, that the native nations are exhausting every effort to resist peacefully and strive for a positive relationship with the current government. Duncan has no place at the negotiating table. He has no authority and in fact represents what is horribly failing us all. If we are going to make any progress with discussions, it has to be leader to leader.

Ah yes, the it's a sacred thing argument, well first of all she is far from starving, and secondly my money is sacred and I don't want you to have any more of it.

The hunger strike is a form of protest and its a sacred fast in our culture. We do not have many options to protest/oppose or reject any legislation without being labelled as a 'terrorist'.

Try using legal techniques when protesting to shake of the 'terrorist' tag.

Beleive me when I say, that the native nations are exhausting every effort to resist peacefully and strive for a positive relationship with the current government.

Hardly.

Duncan has no place at the negotiating table. He has no authority and in fact represents what is horribly failing us all. If we are going to make any progress with discussions, it has to be leader to leader.

John Duncan is the minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development - of course he has authority.

Looks to me the other side is antagonizing the situation unnecessarily.

I story popped up on my phone that says she's in horrible medical shape. I think she was in horrible shape before the hunger strike. :-/

Apparently she wants a 2 week audience with the PM? Who gets that? If the PM gives in then that means anyone that wants to have a chat with the MP can just threaten to kill themselves over the course of a few weeks.

I didn't get that 'two week' audience thing either. This woman is nothing but a blackmailer and could set back relations which could also result in violence. Suicide is certainly not a good example to set for young people, in fact, one of the worst. If the suicide rate increases she will be to blame.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2013/01/20130103-152649.html

Reported on the radio yesterday ,that you can now donate to her private bank account, run by her boyfriend .And this BF seems to have a very good job, that was given to him by her. If this turns out to be true , something is up.

Reported on the radio yesterday ,that you can now donate to her private bank account, run by her boyfriend .And this BF seems to have a very good job, that was given to him by her. If this turns out to be true , something is up.

Ezra Levant reported that. It of course means it's a lie. rolleyes.gif

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1310396--idle-no-more-protests-chief-theresa-spence-rejects-atleo-s-meeting-proposal-sets-72-hour-deadline

How do you put a 72-hour deadline on a request for a meeting? Will she stop the hunger strike after 3 days?

I like how she also wants the GG to attend to meeting. Why not stop there? Demand ER2 comes in from England to discuss the issue after all it's her country that seized this land in the first place right?

Edited by Boges

Now it seems her BF was made co -leader or something like that, and reportedly made 221g's last year. And that the band has millions in stocks.

If you are going to say things like this, then provide a link to the details.

If you are going to say things like this, then provide a link to the details.

Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence's household made as much as $250,000 in the fiscal year ending March 2011.

As the leader of the remote northern Ontario reserve stages a hunger strike in Ottawa, demanding that Prime Minister Stephen Harper meet with her to discuss the third-world conditions in her community, documents show that plenty of cash is moving through the settlement.

Financial audits show that while Spence was paid $71,377 as current chief, her partner, Clayton Kennedy, was also employed as the reserve's co-manager. Kennedy's consulting company, Moo Shum Enterprises Inc, charges $850 per day - working out to $221,000 per year.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2013/01/20130103-200333.html

Pretty hard when it is on the radio, and lets not forget the millions from debeers(SP). Open the books and let see where the money goes. And lets not forget that alot of reserves do quite well and this is not a wide spread thing. And now that harper is going to meets the chiefs on the 11th, it is time for her to end this sham.

Pretty hard when it is on the radio, and lets not forget the millions from debeers(SP). Open the books and let see where the money goes. And lets not forget that alot of reserves do quite well and this is not a wide spread thing. And now that harper is going to meets the chiefs on the 11th, it is time for her to end this sham.

DeBeers. 325 million in contracts to Attawaspikat companies. The claim is these companies only made 100,000 profit from that tho.