Gross violation of privacy of people who have handgun permits

A NY newspaper released an interactive map showing the names and addresses of people who have handgun permits.

This newspaper endangered lives and safety of all residents in the area.

The online map was published by The Journal News along with an article under the headline: "The gun owner next door: What you don't know about the weapons in your neighborhood."

The newspaper obtained, and then published, the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The newspaper, in a written statement, defended the decision to run the names.

"The massacre in Newtown remains top-of-mind for many of our readers," the statement said. "In the past week, conversation on our opinion pages and on our website, LoHud.com, has been keenly focused on gun control.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/25/new-york-newspaper-faces-backlash-after-publishing-map-gun-permit-holders/#ixzz2G6CUnyGV

Why should that kind of information be available for anyone to obtain?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds fair to me. If someone feels that gun owners are largely paranoid and unstable and dangerous, they now have the opportunity to avoid them. If gun owners really believe guns make them safer from home invaders, the home invaders will likely now avoid them. It's a win-win.

Sounds fair to me. If someone feels that gun owners are largely paranoid and unstable and dangerous, they now have the opportunity to avoid them. If gun owners really believe guns make them safer from home invaders, the home invaders will likely now avoid them. It's a win-win.

The Newtown killer was mentally ill and unstable.

I guess we can also demand to get a list of those mentally ill and unstable.

Well, now criminals and/or mentally disturbed people know where to go to steal a handgun. Wonderful.

Not only that, but after they steal the handguns from those houses, they can go rob the houses that don't have guns!

Awww, them's the breaks though in a free society, isn't it? Your right to feel safe ends at their right to print free information.

Guest American Woman
Obviously, some US newspapers are attempting to plumb the journalistic depths of the worst British tabloids.

It would appear that way. Sounds as if the newspaper is going to lose some subscribers over this. Truly a 'what were they thinking?' moment.

And criminals know too, who are un-armed and would make easier targets.

True. I wonder how many are going to go out and get gun permits now.

And criminals know too, who are un-armed and would make easier targets.

I take it that you are reffering to petty criminals that would do break in?

Do these criminals read the paper to find out who to hit next?

WWWTT

It would appear that way. Sounds as if the newspaper is going to lose some subscribers over this. Truly a 'what were they thinking?' moment.

True. I wonder how many are going to go out and get gun permits now.

If a newspaper does something you don't agree with they will lose business,but if there is a mass shooting in the US,gun sales hit a new high???

What the hell is the mentality in the US???

WWWTT

Guest American Woman
If a newspaper does something you don't agree with they will lose business,but if there is a mass shooting in the US,gun sales hit a new high???

What the hell is the mentality in the US???

I'm trying to figure out the mentality of that question ... huh.png

I honestly don't see the problem, so they show people who has guns...and?

Well now you know where you can go to arm yourself if you are careful and where you can go with your new weapon and rob homeowners who don't have the means to open fire. Would it be a good idea to release such information in a gang infested neighbourhood? At that point the gangs know who to target to get the weapons they need...

Well now you know where you can go to arm yourself if you are careful and where you can go with your new weapon and rob homeowners who don't have the means to open fire. Would it be a good idea to release such information in a gang infested neighbourhood? At that point the gangs know who to target to get the weapons they need...

That's one scenario, but sometimes obvious scenario do not occur. Suppose a scenario can occur that knowing where the guns are, maniacs can break in and steal those guns. How about the other side in which one has to be incredibly stupid to try and break into a house knowing that the owners have guns that could be aiming for the robber's head? There are many scenarios that can occur, just because it's obvious, doesn't mean it will happen.

That's one scenario, but sometimes obvious scenario do not occur. Suppose a scenario can occur that knowing where the guns are, maniacs can break in and steal those guns. How about the other side in which one has to be incredibly stupid to try and break into a house knowing that the owners have guns that could be aiming for the robber's head? There are many scenarios that can occur, just because it's obvious, doesn't mean it will happen.

If I was in the market for a gun and I had access to google and Facebook I would make a list of the owners in a comfort zone and start researching. With Facebook, twitter and a dozen other sites I can get enough information as to the owner and who lives with them etc... two days of research on the street they live on and I can see their habits during the workday and other important tidbits, you already have their name and address getting the rest for anyone determined enough should be easy. For idiots criminals who cannot take advantage of a valuable piece of intelligence like this we will shall not worry, but we need to worry about the guys and gals who are in need and willing to be smart about it as they are the people to take full advantage of this intelligence. How many of those gun owners have been on online forums such as MLW or forums that are specifically dedicated to discussing firearms discussing and/or bragging about the firearms in their possession? With determination and a bit of luck you can google them with some variations to the search parameters and you can see that John Smith has written on forum xyz about his collection of Pistols and AR15 rifles, he also keeps plenty of ammunition as clearly specified in his numerous posts so now you know he has at least two pistols and two rifles with plenty of ammunition and thus is a good target.

For the events in Connecticut this is irrelevant as the firearms were all legal and were in the possession of the gunman's mother but for the shooting in Webster, N.Y. where presumably the weapons were stolen or purchased on the black market by a suicidal mentally ill man I would say this is quite relevant, now the next guy who cannot legally purchase a weapon knows where to get his hands on one, and I doubt the gunman in Webster had much thought for self-preservation so whats to stop him from looking at a map and charge in to the first target he sees.

99% of those permit holders are most likely responsible and safe with their firearms and now the newspaper has placed all of them at risk.

They could be target for anti-gun nuts.

Can there be a class-action lawsuit for this against the newspaper? All they need is one victim due to the newspaper article. I think the public ought to start pushing back real hard against the abusive media.

Edited by betsy

One of the things that my instructor mentioned was to NOT publicize the fact that you have firearms because it makes you a target for theft. As Signals Corporal mentions, burglars could easily figure out when you're not at home.

A class action lawsuit? I think that's a possibility.

Personally, I'm far more concerned about rapists than gun owners. Can I get a list of convicted rapists in my city? I'm sure that most parents are more worried about child molestors than gun owners. Can we also get a list of convicted child molestors?

It seems to me that when sex criminals are released from prison, their locations are made available only in the rarest situations. There's this belief that they should be given a chance to live normal lives. Why do convicted sex criminals get more consideration than law-abiding gun owners?

-k

Actually, the equivalent list would be of potential rapists and child molestors.

I can't see those who find nothing wrong with the rag's actions in this case agreeing to those articles.

I say print all three of those lists.

I like the idea of publishing the gun owners. If people think they have a right to own guns, I should have the right to know who they are.

I say print all three of those lists.

I like the idea of publishing the gun owners. If people think they have a right to own guns, I should have the right to know who they are.

But you would be on two of them.

You know, I've never reported a poster before. This is the first time I've even thought about it.

You should try and understand what a post is saying before you quote it and reply to it.

Report away!