Mass shooting

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an interesting side note, I read that one of the reasons Japan has been able to carry out its strict laws regarding gun ownership is because Japanese people are less likely to question authority. Is that a good thing? Apparently not:

Japan has been able to carry out its strict laws because it's an island (duh) and its nearest neighbor is a dictatorship where guns are also not very widely available. As far as questioning authority, that's simply silly given that Americans are the world's most obsequious people to real authority.

And I don't mean politicians since they are mere employees, I mean to the princes of Wall Street. Anyone with money gets so much respect I imagine you guys curtsying or tugging your forelock whenever a rich man drives by in his stretch limo.

Because Japan was held up as a shining beacon compared to the U.S.,

As far as civility and lack of violence and crime it certainly is. Mind you, many nations could as easily be used, such as the Nordic countries, or Canada for that matter.

Edited by Argus

We changed the whole world because of 9/11 we didn't just say "Oh well nothing we can do," like American womens seems to think is what we should be doing here. Just small changes could solve a lot of the problem.

And a lot of people here bitched about those "changes", and still do.

No one can tolerate the murder of school children because the alternative might mean miner changes for themselves. Again it isn't condemning if you refuse to do anything to change the situation it is tolerating.

And yet you stated that it is "different" and quite tolerable to accept gang related gun homicides for bystander children (in their own homes). How do you reconcile this ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Guest American Woman

And a lot of people here bitched about those "changes", and still do.

Exactly, as I've pointed out. I've also pointed out the changes that have been made in our gun laws, which apparently has gone unnoticed by some. I've never said "oh well nothing we can do" - that I "seem to think it is what we should be doing here" is only a figment of punked's imagination.

We can't take box cutters on airlines any more, but guns were banned on flights prior to 9-11. We've got air marshals on some planes, but a suggestion to do something similar in schools seems to be rejected by those who are complaining that we are doing nothing to protect the children.

Guest American Woman

Millions of Chinese may not agree with that, especially the dead ones.

I know people in China who definitely don't agree.

Odd that what the Japanese did during WWII doesn't seem to be considered today by some, yet we are violent people because of what Americans did in 1776.

.... We've got air marshals on some planes, but a suggestion to do something similar in schools seems to be rejected by those who are complaining that we are doing nothing to protect the children.

Of course, as one of the reasons the schools are so vulnerable is that guns are banned on school grounds even in right-to-carry states. Now that thinking has to be revisited.

No, but when the majority of your warning points come from discussions with a particular poster and no one else, you get a pretty good idea.

How many warning points do you have? I only ask because I have one, and I thought I was hard done by.

Edit> Last question. I don't mean to divert the thread.

Edited by bcsapper

We can't take box cutters on airlines any more, but guns were banned on flights prior to 9-11. We've got air marshals on some planes, but a suggestion to do something similar in schools seems to be rejected by those who are complaining that we are doing nothing to protect the children.

Yep so in response we banned all weapons. So banning everything from nail cutters to guns on plane is just fine with the right, it prevents deaths but the same sorts of solutions can't even be discussed in response to this? That is wrong.

Yep so in response we banned all weapons. So banning everything from nail cutters to guns on plane is just fine with the right, it prevents deaths but the same sorts of solutions can't even be discussed in response to this? That is wrong.

Box cutters and knives are not constitutional rights.

Of course, as one of the reasons the schools are so vulnerable is that guns are banned on school grounds even in right-to-carry states. Now that thinking has to be revisited.

You can't make that statement because the government has defunded any study that would prove such a thing. That is an opinion at best. Maybe the NRA should push for the government to study gun violence, they wont because like the cigarette lobby they know what they will find they wont like and they have millions of people who will tell you cigarettes don't cause cancer. It took 80 years to get the government to admit that one.