You've got to be kidding.

Suicides in Japan in 2010: 31,690

Homicides in the U.S. in 2010: 16,065

Population of Japan: 126+ million

Population of the U.S.: 311+ million

I'll let you do the math.

And that reply was about Japan - hence it was "a post about Japan."

BTW US suicides in 2010: 38,364

So you beat Japan at something you think is a big Japanese problem. U-S-A U-S-A!!

Quit it with the hey look over here because it just makes you look even worse. If Japan has a problem then so do you but you refuse to address anything anyway.

Guest American Woman

Exactly.

Really? Where did "the usual ones come out and tell [you] to stuff it?"

And I'm really learning something here - evidently losing one's child to suicide doesn't compare to losing a child to murder. The culture that results in the former is superior to a culture that results in the latter. Seems to me that wasn't the line of thought when discussing suicide and the availability of guns in the U.S. - but somehow it's not surprising.

And as for your math, there are areas in the US with far worse suicide rates than Japan. That was my point.

Really? Because this is what you said: Their suicides aren't even a fraction of the US homicide rate is per capita. Come on, AW. You've got to be kidding.

In other words, you were wrong. Very wrong.

But since you want to go that route now, there are areas in the U.S. with far better homicide rates that Canada. So there ya go, for what it's worth.

Really? Where did "the usual ones come out and tell [you] to stuff it?"

And I'm really learning something here - evidently losing one's child to suicide doesn't compare to losing a child to murder. The culture that results in the former is superior to a culture that results in the latter. Seems to me that wasn't the line of thought when discussing suicide and the availability of guns in the U.S. - but somehow it's not surprising.

Really? Because this is what you said: Their suicides aren't even a fraction of the US homicide rate is per capita. Come on, AW. You've got to be kidding.

In other words, you were wrong. Very wrong.

But since you want to go that route now, there are areas in the U.S. with far better homicide rates that Canada. So there ya go, for what it's worth.

Just suck it up and admit your country has a gun problem.

And you know what, it's people like you that try to justify the mass murder of innocent school children that are part of the problem.

You should be ashamed of yourself, but of course you're not because you're never wrong and the USA is infallible.

Found this interesting, a statement from Israel:

Yigal Palmor, spokesman for the Israeli Foreign Ministry told the NY Daily News that NRA head Wayne LaPierre was lying when he claimed the country “had a whole lot of school shootings” and “put armed security in every school” during an appearance on NBC’s Meet The Press.

Palmor told the paper, “We didn’t have a series of school shootings, and they had nothing to do with the issue at hand in the United States.” He continued, “What removed the danger was not the armed guards but an overall anti-terror policy and anti-terror operations which brought street terrorism down to nearly zero over a number of years.”

He also explained that gun control laws in the Middle Eastern nation have been strengthened: “Israeli citizens are not allowed to carry guns unless they are serving in the army or working in security-related jobs that require them to use a weapon.”

Looks like the Israel talking point is dead. What to next? Think the NRA will start using AW argument of "We don't have a problem because people in Japan commit suicide"? Seems like it is all the right has left. Just saying crazy things that make no sense in the context of the argument.

And the suicide rate matters not one bit to the problem of mass murders. You know what doesn't make me feel unsafe in my city? The suicide rate. However, if there was a problem with mass homicides that would make me feel unsafe.

This THIS!!! This has been the point I have been trying to make. If a grown person thinks taking their own life is something they want to do, they should have that right. It is when you decide and have the tools to take others lives it is a big problem in my mind. When you take another's rights away then that is a problem in my mind.

Looks like the Israel talking point is dead. What to next? Think the NRA will start using AW argument of "We don't have a problem because people in Japan commit suicide"? Seems like it is all the right has left. Just saying crazy things that make no sense in the context of the argument.

Oh, AW isn't on the right. Just ask her. :rolleyes:

This THIS!!! This has been the point I have been trying to make. If a grown person thinks taking their own life is something they want to do, they should have that right. It is when you decide and have the tools to take others lives it is a big problem in my mind. When you take another's rights away then that is a problem in my mind.

I think anyone with two braincells to rub together knows the difference between suicide and homicide. Except for those that would defend people that mass murder grade school children.

Guest American Woman
Just suck it up and admit your country has a gun problem.

And you know what, it's people like you that try to justify the mass murder of innocent school children that are part of the problem.

You should be ashamed of yourself, but of course you're not because you're never wrong and the USA is infallible.

So no counter arguments, eh? That you've responded with nothing but a personal attack is duly noted.

Oh, AW isn't on the right. Just ask her. rolleyes.gif

In this argument she is. She may very well be a progressive democrat but on this argument she is on the right. Sometimes even I land on the right on some issues just as Conservatives end up on the left on some issues. I mean look at the NRA it only took one shooting for them to stop supporting states rights in background checks and demand the Feds do sweeping across the board checks on everyone. The idea of bigger government and states right they for so long were for and against flipped on its head when they needed to come up with a solution that wasn't more gun regulation. It happens.

I think anyone with two braincells to rub together knows the difference between suicide and homicide. Except for those that would defend people that mass murder grade school children.

Really cc, no one here, certainly not AW, has "defended people that mass murder grade school children". That's not even a misrepresentation of her argument, but just an outright lie. I think you should cool off a bit, you're letting your emotions get the best of you in this thread.

So no counter arguments, eh? That you've responded with nothing but a personal attack is duly noted.

There was nothing for him to argue about. Your argument is "America doesn't have a problem because we have MORE suicides a year than Japan". Why should anyone argue with that. It doesn't make any sense.

Cry me a river. I'm not responding to your insistence that this discussion about mass murders in the United States be focused on suicides in Japan because the suicide rate in Japan is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

How about you actually address the problems in your own country for a change, instead of incessantly trying to change the channel on anything that might actually involve you critically examining the United States or your own opinions.

Really cc, no one here, certainly not AW, has "defended people that mass murder grade school children". That's not even a misrepresentation of her argument, but just an outright lie. I think you should cool off a bit, you're letting your emotions get the best of you in this thread.

If you say "we shouldn't even look at these incidents, and I support a lobby that is against any study of guns and violence" then that is what you are saying in not so many words. Seriously go back and read she doesn't support even letting the government give out money to study these and come up with some scientific solutions.

If your answer to the problem is the same answer we have had and tired for 50 years "MORE GUNS!!!" Then you are for the status quo. Which doesn't work.

You're right. AW hasn't argued anything other than some nonsense about Japan's suicide rate, which is completely beside the point.

What makes it easier for these idiots to walk into schools and butcher children are people like AW that simply refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem in the US. She's defending mass murderers by burying her head in the sand.

If you say "we shouldn't even look at these incidents, and I support a lobby that is against any study of guns and violence" then that is what you are saying in not so many words. Seriously go back and read she doesn't support even letting the government give out money to study these and come up with some scientific solutions.

If your answer to the problem is the same answer we have had and tired for 50 years "MORE GUNS!!!" Then you are for the status quo. Which doesn't work.

Ostrich Syndrome

If you say "we shouldn't even look at these incidents, and I support a lobby that is against any study of guns and violence" then that is what you are saying in not so many words.

No, that is completely false. One can oppose drastic changes to gun laws while still completely condemning "those who murder grade school children". Get a grip on yourselves folks.

Guest American Woman

There was nothing for him to argue about. Your argument is "America doesn't have a problem because we have MORE suicides a year than Japan". Why should anyone argue with that. It doesn't make any sense.

That's not my argument, so please don't speak for me; I most definitely never said what you are quoting me as saying, so I suggest you edit your post to remove the quotation marks. If you are going to falsely represent my argument, at least refrain from making up quotes.

No, that is completely false. One can oppose drastic changes to gun laws while still completely condemning "those who murder grade school children". Get a grip on yourselves folks.

Amen to that.

Thank you for that; I appreciate it. It most definitely is an outright lie.

Edited by American Woman

No one can tolerate the murder of school children because the alternative might mean miner changes for themselves. Again it isn't condemning if you refuse to do anything to change the situation it is tolerating.

That's not my argument, so please don't speak for me; I most definitely never said what you are quoting me as saying, so I suggest you edit your post to remove the quotation marks. If you are going to falsely represent my argument, at least refrain from making up quotes.

I will do no such thing. Your argument for several pages has been that you shouldn't look to another country which has drastically lower gun deaths because they also have problems. I suggest you go back and read what you have written for several pages.

Guest American Woman

I will do no such thing. Your argument for several pages has been that you shouldn't look to another country which has drastically lower gun deaths because they also have problems. I suggest you go back and read what you have written for several pages.

The fact that you have made up a quote and attributed it to me, and your refusal to acknowledge it and/or edit it, is duly noted.

Edited by American Woman

The fact that you have made up a quote and attributed it to me, and your refusal to acknowledge it and/or edit it, is duly noted.

Never made up a quote. I put your argument in quotes so you could see what I am reading from your posts over the last few pages. Sorry if you don't like your argument maybe you should try a new one for why you don't have a gun problem. BTW I like how your responded to me about how you have more suicides in the US then in Japan as well.