Mass shooting

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

No you say you want to know why these things happen and ways it can be prevented but you support the NRA which is the lobby that got congress ban the CDC and NIH from funding any such studies. You clearly don't know what you support ....

Done reading. rolleyes.gif

So perhaps Canada should adopt Japan's gun laws?

Fire Arm related Homicides in 2008 in America 11,000, in Canada 200 (140 of which were "gang related"). Still not our problem but I can agree Canada's firearm laws are more lax then Japans. So again we reach the conclusion the more lax the gun laws the more gun deaths. Also less to no mass killings in Canada in that year.

It is one thing when a drug deal goes wrong and someone gets shot. It is something else when someone rolls up to movie theater and shoots everyone inside.

Edited by punked

Done reading. rolleyes.gif

Why because you don't like the facts you get? Of course close your eyes and stick your figures in your ears. That is the way to solve your countries problem. I remember you saying you cared about these problems but I guess that was just so you didn't look heartless.

Do you or do you not support a lobbying organization that is against the study of gun violence and prevention? Yes or no?

Edited by punked

Fire Arm related Homicides in 2008 in America 11,000, in Canada 200 (140 of which were "gang related"). Still not our problem but I can agree Canada's firearm laws are more lax then Japans.

Wait a minute....scaling up for Canada's population could mean as many as 2,000 fire arms homicides....Japan's would be about 30 !

About 1800, but yes.

Don't forget the stabbings !

The number of homicides committed with knives has risen in Canada and equals the number committed with guns for the first time since 1974, according to a new report from Statistics Canada.

tp-knife-gun-cp-RTR28F2P.jpg

A knife and a gun are pictured at the scene where a police officer was stabbed to death outside the Ottawa Civic Hospital in Ottawa on Dec. 29, 2009.
(Chris Wattie/Reuters)
In 2008, 34 per cent of 611 homicides reported by police were committed with knives,

You understand the NRA trains and certifies Police and Military Police firearms instructors right?

Well, it claims to. I find it passingly difficult to accept that, the US Marines, for example, need some NRA type guy to show up on their bases to train their firearms instructors... I don't see the NYPD or LAPD needing help in that area either....

Like I said, the NRA has been training police and MP firearms instructors for over 50 years...........But I'd love for you to expand upon the environment they do train for....

Do you have a cite for that coming from anyone other than the NRA?

You're suggesting the United States Army is incapable of training its MPs, and has to go to the NRA, a civilian outfit, to teach its firearms instructors? I would find that incredible.

In 2008 American had 11,000 gun related Homicides, Japan had 11.

In 2011 30,000 Americans were killed by firearms. That's about average. Excluding natural causes, ie, old age and disease, firearms are the second leading cause of death in America.

Guest American Woman
You mean those of us not brainwashed by the gun lobby and the political and media people who are paid by the gun lobby?

Yeah, I"m brainwashed. I don't have a mind of my own like you so obviously do. It's apparent by the oh-so-impressive critical thinking that your argument consists of, the intelligent points you've made - such as "you're brainwashed."

rolleyes.gif

Wait a minute....scaling up for Canada's population could mean as many as 2,000 fire arms homicides....Japan's would be about 30 !

Yep I agree we are not the country to look to on advice for fire arms. We do ok and our deaths are tolerable but we are in no way a model for the world. We are much much much better then the US though.

Yeah, I"m brainwashed. I don't have a mind of my own like you so obviously do. It's apparent by the oh-so-impressive critical thinking that your argument consists of, the intelligent points you've made - such as "you're brainwashed."

rolleyes.gif

You really don't have a leg to stand on because you stopped talking to me because I made points you didn't like. Sorry.

Yep I agree we are not the country to look to on advice for fire arms. We do ok and our deaths are tolerable but we are in no way a model for the world. We are much much much better then the US though.

And a outright ban of fire arms would end gun violence is what you're suggesting. That is extremely naive. The majority of the people who are doing the gun violence aren't registering their guns and are obtaining them illegally.

In 2011 30,000 Americans were killed by firearms. That's about average. Excluding natural causes, ie, old age and disease, firearms are the second leading cause of death in America.

No, that's not true. Firearms are only one mode of homicides, accidental (unintended) death and suicide. Poisonings and falls rank #2 and #3 respectively behind motor vehicle accidents.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

And a outright ban of fire arms would end gun violence is what you're suggesting. That is extremely naive. The majority of the people who are doing the gun violence aren't registering their guns and are obtaining them illegally.

Nope those are the voicing in your head talking. I have suggesting nothing you seem to think I have.

Because they are 600% less per capita. There is more we could do to bring them down but the US and Canada are not in the same league in terms of gun deaths.

Right, but what is tolerable in one nation has nothing to do with what is tolerable in another. Declining gun homicides in the US were most certainly "tolerable" absent high profile "mass shootings", which account for less than 1% of gun homicides.

Right, but what is tolerable in one nation has nothing to do with what is tolerable in another. Declining gun homicides in the US were most certainly "tolerable" absent high profile "mass shootings", which account for less than 1% of gun homicides.

No. The difference is that these types of attacks aren't drug violence, the problem is when people who go about their lives doing what is right get caught up in the gun violence. That is the problem. Some deaths are more wrong then others. Children dying in their classrooms is different then a a gang shoot out. It just is.