First nations patiences waning

login

One of the biggest problems is the corporate bullying and the govvernment endorsing, supporting and legalizing it.

The victim mentality needs to end. Government is not going to be your saviour! To say that government is the only problem that native people have and they can simply solve it is naive in the extreme.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The victim mentality needs to end. Government is not going to be your saviour! To say that government is the only problem that native people have and they can simply solve it is naive in the extreme.

That is not ALL that is trying to be said. Government is the root of many issues, as well as tthe crown and the church, and the fight is for land. Some of which was never ceded. Many nations operate independently and do not receive the similar handouts like the small towns, religious groups. It is irrelevant to me what you think because you do not grasp the entire history which is important when analyzing the current situation for a positive outcome.

But I do grasp the entire history. And appreciate it. And understand the complex issues. I have a different opinion than you do on the political solution (this is a political issue).

You can dismiss all the posters of not understanding, or insinuate they are racist because they have a differing opinion, but that doesn't further the dialogue and simply makes you seem petty and closed minded.

But I do grasp the entire history. And appreciate it. And understand the complex issues. I have a different opinion than you do on the political solution (this is a political issue).

You can dismiss all the posters of not understanding, or insinuate they are racist because they have a differing opinion, but that doesn't further the dialogue and simply makes you seem petty and closed minded.

Bravo.

Race based voting....sounds....dangerous.

If you read my entire post, you would see that it would be 'race' based voting in an ideal world of Indigenous soveriegnty. I think many of you are using the term Race and Racial in the wrong context. Understand the word before using it.

If you read my entire post, you would see that it would be 'race' based voting in an ideal world of Indigenous soveriegnty. I think many of you are using the term Race and Racial in the wrong context. Understand the word before using it.

You want voting via skin colour. That equals race based voting. I don't care what lipstick you wish to apply to the pig.

I don't understand your answer. How is this related to FN leadership ?

Thats a million, nope wait, billions dollar question. I have assumed too often that many of you and general public areaware of what is going on in our backyards. I really want to get back to this question as, its legitimate and deserves some speculation, unfortunately i do not have the time to get in depth on it this afternoon. I shouldnt even be here right now, I just came for a peek....check back at a later time.

ps: I have never called anyone here a racist. I know what I am up against attempting to have a discussion in a forum like this- but if everyone can agree to at least TRY to understand a little bit. We might make some genuine progress in resolving the issues that affect us ALL.

Ekosi.

MMMMM, racial heaven. Race based sovereignty and race based voting. Well lets go for it. Canada is 80% white. We win. Next.

The Indians only want to "talk" or have "talks" or "meetings" if they get their own way in the end, otherwise they'll pull a temper tantrum like a bunch of two year olds and "protest". By protest I mean illegally trespass of course.

I don't see the white people in England getting special treatment and afforded special rights because they were there first.

This woman is doing nothing but hurting her cause and I think people in general are sick and tired of the Indians and their endless whining. Go out and get a job and stop depending on daddy government to give you a hand out is a great place to start.

Didn't you post this about your own situation in that thread whining about being picked on: I am a disabled person who is living on a pension in Toronto,

First, we have to raise the issue again that Aboriginals as a group, have literally been robbed over the years by plundering governments and the mining companies, power companies etc. that they do backroom deals with,and what has been handed back in any form of reparations would not come close to what would have had to have been payed if they were regular landowners who could extract better terms from the Government......that sort of comment takes the cake! Because it's one thing for us middle class taxpayers, who often feel squeezed at both ends....often having kids still living with us, or depending on us for college, and aging parents who need help dealing with the costs of nursing care.... to act a little selfish; but when it's someone who is on a disability themselves complaining about what others are taking, it is too hypocritical to even put into words!

Edited by WIP

[W]e have to raise the issue again that Aboriginals as a group, have literally been robbed over the years by plundering governments and the mining companies, power companies etc. that they do backroom deals with,and what has been handed back in any form of reparations would not come close to what would have had to have been payed if they were regular landowners who could extract better terms from the Government...

One can raise the issue; but, raising the issue doesn't make the issue true. Where's the proof that Aboriginals have been "robbed" by the government and companies? They are entitled to negotiate the terms of a sale as much as any other landowner.

I have assumed too often that many of you and general public areaware of what is going on in our backyards.

You seem to be the one with no idea what's going on in your own backyard. The reason I say that is because you keep dredging out numerous issues that is irrelevant to 'Idle No More' movement.

ps: I have never called anyone here a racist. I know what I am up against attempting to have a discussion in a forum like this- but if everyone can agree to at least TRY to understand a little bit. We might make some genuine progress in resolving the issues that affect us ALL.

Said the person who called the reserve a place where 'people live in the bush'.

Edited by Sleipnir

Didn't you post this about your own situation in that thread whining about being picked on: I am a disabled person who is living on a pension in Toronto,

First, we have to raise the issue again that Aboriginals as a group, have literally been robbed over the years by plundering governments and the mining companies, power companies etc. that they do backroom deals with,and what has been handed back in any form of reparations would not come close to what would have had to have been payed if they were regular landowners who could extract better terms from the Government......that sort of comment takes the cake! Because it's one thing for us middle class taxpayers, who often feel squeezed at both ends....often having kids still living with us, or depending on us for college, and aging parents who need help dealing with the costs of nursing care.... to act a little selfish; but when it's someone who is on a disability themselves complaining about what others are taking, it is too hypocritical to even put into words!

The Indians have been compensated enough over the years to cover the costs of any land value. The government has given the Indians hundreds of billions of dollars over the years. They've poorly managed that money, that's not our problem. We need to sell all the reserves to the bands, cut off the billions we give them in aid and let them fend for themselves. They've had a free ride for generations, enough is enough really and truly.

Free housing, free land, free world class university education, free money every month of every year for life. Being an Indian is like winning the lotto, just sit back and wait for the cheque to come in. When they run out of money they stage a little protest. I don't understand why Indians are committing so many crimes and killing themselves, they have it made in the shade. The easy life handed to them. All because of their race and be cause of where their ancestors happened to be from. Racist and xenophobic are terms that come to mind when describing the life on a reserve. This is something to be celebrated?

Ekosi.

If you post according to the rules, you will definitely learn a lot and teach a lot in your time here. Thanks for posting.

On the Sun News Network website, there is a graphic called “Attawapiskat Exposed” listing many allegations about Chief Spence.

Sun News states: “Between the government and the money pouring in from the nearby diamond mine, it works out to $250,000 each family for each year. Tax free. That’s like $400,000 for the rest of us.”

Fact: APTN National News has found most of the money from the diamond mine is locked up in a trust to provide for future generations, and the biggest payment was received when the mine opened. As for the “tax-free” argument, Chelsey Vowell takes a long look at it over here, and things aren’t that simple.

Sun News: “Attawapiskat First nation owns $9 million in stocks from Apple, Disney and Chinese cell phone companies.”

Fact: Attawapiskat’s trust from diamond revenue has 100′s of stocks , not just the brand names they mention. This is standard practice for First Nations and Inuit communities that receive resource revenue. You can only take those rocks out of the ground once, but a trust keeps on providing long This is responsible, good management, and if it wasn’t happening, people would be complaining even more.

SunNews: “The government says that Attawapiskat has received $90 million dollars since 2006.”

Fact:  John Geddes at MacLean’s took on this number very effectively. Less than 5 per cent of that $90 million was designated to be spent on homes, and Geddes says the real number is closer to $4 million for houses since 2006. Federal spending in Attawapiskat in 2010-11 was $15.9 million, $6.6 million of that was for education alone.

Sun News: “$450,000 a month pours into Attawapiskat a month in welfare payments.”

Fact: This figure is misleading . In 2010-11 – according to Ontario Works – 443 households received $3.9 million in welfare, at a rate of $755 a month. That is $334,465 a month, not $450,000. When you live in a very remote community, $755 a month isn’t going to buy very much.

Sun News: “Attawapiskat has 21 full-time politicians for 300 homes”

Fact: Attawapiskat has a chief, a deputy chief, and 12 councilors. Only the chief would be considered full time. Critics are counting every individual who sat on council that year, but many of the councilors only served short terms. If you add up the man hours, the months served, it works out to 12 councilors.

Sun News: “Chief Theresa Spence’s boyfriend, Clayton Kennedy, earns $850 a day, income tax free.” Sun News also went on air claiming Chief Spence and Kennedy made $250,000 a year.

Fact: Kennedy is contracted to work 3 weeks out of four, 5 days a week. $850 x 5 days x 3 weeks x 12 months = $153,000 a year. If you count 4 weeks a month (which his contract doesn’t) you only get $204,000.

Sun News is getting most of their information from www.attawaspiskat.org

We looked at the numbers and they don’t match up to the facts. Why? You’ll have to ask them.

Source: http://aptn.ca/pages/news/2013/01/04/chief-spence-meets-the-spin-cycle/

Only $204k while most of the band lives in abject poverty? They shouldn't be content with protesting the Canadian government, they should also be looking at their own government and it's fiscal management practices and nepotism issues.

Only $204k while most of the band lives in abject poverty? They shouldn't be content with protesting the Canadian government, they should also be looking at their own government and it's fiscal management practices and nepotism issues.

None of of us are disputing that. Canadians should also be looking at their own government and it's fiscal management practices and nepotism issues.

None of of us are disputing that. Canadians should also be looking at their own government and it's fiscal management practices and nepotism issues.

It's all our money, so....

But the idea that Canadians don't criticize their governments at all levels is laughable.

Edited by Smallc

Fact: This figure is misleading . In 2010-11 – according to Ontario Works – 443 households received $3.9 million in welfare, at a rate of $755 a month. That is $334,465 a month, not $450,000. When you live in a very remote community, $755 a month isn’t going to buy very much.

Welfare rolls do not only include direct payments. There are other things within that, such as payments for hydro, that will bring it to that number.

Fact: Attawapiskat has a chief, a deputy chief, and 12 councilors. Only the chief would be considered full time. Critics are counting every individual who sat on council that year, but many of the councilors only served short terms. If you add up the man hours, the months served, it works out to 12 councilors.

The councillors will be making a handsome salary, trust me, they always do.

Fact: Kennedy is contracted to work 3 weeks out of four, 5 days a week. $850 x 5 days x 3 weeks x 12 months = $153,000 a year. If you count 4 weeks a month (which his contract doesn’t) you only get $204,000.

That's a massive salary.

"Canadians" includes the Indian nation people. You seem to want to keep people divided instead of bringing people together. The Indian people need to start managing their money in a more responsible way. They cannot even provide for their own people properly. Disgusting!