So do those Jerk Aussie DJs deserve to be fired?

Boges

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true but that's common of most radio stations,djs today we have them here as well....we have a station that sets up awkward situations between couples "hi you've just won two tickets to a concert who are you going to take with you" the man/woman names someone other than the BF or GF who already listening in to the conversation... on one occasion a woman discovered her boyfriend was dating her sister, obviously that wasn't going end well...

I would think this is jumping the gun. What if the radio station finds out the cause and ro reason for the death has nothing to do with them?

http://worldnews.nbc...y-of-dead-nurse

Not to mention if they are sued they pretty much have admitted some liability. Uh oh...Somebody is ignoring the lawyers

Edited by guyser

Guest American Woman

I would think this is jumping the gun. What if the radio station finds out the cause and ro reason for the death has nothing to do with them?

I agree; that is a possibility. There was no suicide note, and from what I've heard, no evidence that it was a suicide other than speculation.

Edited to add: Apparently there was a suicide note: Jacintha Saldanha, victim of Australian radio prank call about Kate Middleton, left suicide note for family

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...8#ixzz2EldOz3WL

The family also says that there are "unexplained circumstances, though, and some of her relatives have said she's not the type to commit suicide. I find it difficult to believe and/or understand that this incident alone would lead the mother of a 14 and 17 year old to kill herself.

Edited by American Woman

The DJ's actions may not have been the tipping point for her. No one yet knows that. I would not be surprised if her employer became absolutely furious with her, given the circumstances and such high publicity.

Guest American Woman

The DJ's actions may not have been the tipping point for her. No one yet knows that. I would not be surprised if her employer became absolutely furious with her, given the circumstances and such high publicity.

The hospital says otherwise. She's not the only nurse involved. She handed over the phone to the nurse in Kate's attendance, and that nurse is the one who gave out the information. I haven't heard that any disciplinary action has been taken against her.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman
Except that if not for her death, neither you or I would likely even know anything about said prank call...

For the record, I knew - and I'd wager a lot of other people did, too. It was all over the internet, making headlines.

There was an interesting article about this incident in some paper. I can't find it now but in a nutshell it said that all this is a part of a modern culture of humiliation. I mean, humiliating people in public is considered as entertainment. Hence the huge popualarity of all kind of reality-TV and such things.

Guest American Woman

Pranks and Humour are part of life. This stuff is widely popular, so to prosecute these DJs because of an event that they couldn't have foreseen is just ridiculous.

They can't be prosecuted if they didn't break any laws.

There was an interesting article about this incident in some paper. I can't find it now but in a nutshell it said that all this is a part of a modern culture of humiliation. I mean, humiliating people in public is considered as entertainment. Hence the huge popualarity of all kind of reality-TV and such things.

It's really sad when you think about it, but keeping what you said in mind and reflecting on pop culture today, it's impossible to say this is wrong. I'm going to be more conscious of this from now on. Thanks for mentioning it, even if you don't have the link.

Wether or not she killed herself over this is irrelevant as I tend to believe that they had no way of knowing that she was in such a fragile state. That being said I still believe they should be fired and anyone else involved in the station should be fired simply because they decided to play a prank which if successful would have most likely had a negative impact on a persons career and future advancement in their profession and they seemed to not really care about that until there was a negative response from people. They should be held responsible as this was not a prank but it was a malicious actions disguised as a prank as failure would have accomplished nothing but a very prompt f*** you and success would have put someone on the spotlight for a very negative event and probably had negative impact on their career, maybe not at the immediate moment but at some point it will come back and haunt them.

People should be held responsible for their actions, if your actions carry the intent on pain and suffering to someone else be it someone you know or a random person then you should be held accountable for your actions... one way or another they should reap what they sow.

Pranks and Humour are part of life. This stuff is widely popular, so to prosecute these DJs because of an event that they couldn't have foreseen is just ridiculous.

Right and there's no such thing as acceptable behaviour, when it comes to humour.

Maybe the station should be fired. It seems they are OK with this kind of thing.

That's exactly what I was thinking! From the limited info that I bothered to absorb, this station was promoting these assholes as the main reason to listen to the station, and were still running a highlight reel of past prank calls even after this nurse committed suicide. It wasn't any sort of moral concern, either from the station owners, nor the assholes, that sent them into damage-control mode. It was pure, unadulterated self-interest. But, what more can we expect these days with so many people sharing the libertarian ideal and anything done to others as long as it doesn't violate the law, is fair game?

Would the assholes, or the station owners be expressing any remorse or regrets if this woman didn't kill herself, but merely lived on, psychologically damaged from being publicly shamed? I doubt it! They are only concerned in regards to how the woman's extreme reaction has rebounded at themselves.

As for other loud, obnoxious morning radio shock jocks and their fans......I guess this is one of the reasons I have lots of podcast subscriptions so I never have to listen to the radio again...except for traffic and weather reports. Tosh.O....same thing...pure garbage. But, I would watch the episode where the episode where an irate victim of a video posted on his stupid show arrives at the studio to beat the shit out of that misery pimp....Tosh fans, keep me posted for that one....that's one Tosh video I wouldn't mind watching!

Here's where punking and prank calling is warranted and should be encouraged: when it is applied against the people with monetary and/or political power to control the lives of others; especially when the prank involves a politician slavishly trying to curry favour with financial overlord. Exhibit A

Sounds like there is evidence that she had been planing suicide.

http://www.daijiworl...asp?n_id=158170

The report says three suicide notes were found in her room and also emails have been recovered which suggested that she was planning the suicide. The report also said injury marks were found on the nurse's wrist. The inquest proceedings have now been adjourned till March 26, 2013.

Guest American Woman

That being the case, I have to wonder how long she'd been considering suicide. As I said, I find it difficult to believe that the mother of a 14 and 17 year old would take her life just over this incident.

That being the case, I have to wonder how long she'd been considering suicide. As I said, I find it difficult to believe that the mother of a 14 and 17 year old would take her life just over this incident.

Agreed .

Wanna bet some exec's at the radio station are slapping their foreheads wondering why they rushed a payment to the family. Perhaps it was an attemnpt to stem the tide of anger out there , but that seems a bit thin of a reason.

Her suicide shouldn't be the deciding factor in how the situation should be treated.

If it means that people will be more considerate of how the victims of pranks like this feel then there may be a positive outcome to this tragedy.

What they did was douchy if she killed herself or not. The fact that she was planning it is rather irrelevant because this incident probably pushed her over the edge.

Her suicide shouldn't be the deciding factor in how the situation should be treated.

I have no idea what that means.

If it means that people will be more considerate of how the victims of pranks like this feel then there may be a positive outcome to this tragedy.

What they did was douchy if she killed herself or not. The fact that she was planning it is rather irrelevant because this incident probably pushed her over the edge.

She wasnt really a victim at all. She merely passed the call along. Not sure what she was so horrified about , apart from the issues she had in life.

One mans Douchy is another mans humour. It wont stop because it works and people find it funny.

Your last statement is a bit confusing .

She was planning it anyway, whether this occurred or not so it cant be irrelevant.

It would seem the phone call was irrelevant as she had planned to kill herself anyhow. If not for the phone call then it may have been some lousy butter chicken , or rain , or any other daily occurrence.

Guest American Woman
Agreed .

Wanna bet some exec's at the radio station are slapping their foreheads wondering why they rushed a payment to the family. Perhaps it was an attemnpt to stem the tide of anger out there , but that seems a bit thin of a reason.

I doubt the money was life-changing to the execs, so I personally doubt that they regret giving it. I think it's acknowledgement that what the two djs did was wrong, at least in the publics' eye, so it is damage control in that regard.

Guest American Woman

I have no idea what that means.

She wasnt really a victim at all. She merely passed the call along. Not sure what she was so horrified about , apart from the issues she had in life.

One mans Douchy is another mans humour. It wont stop because it works and people find it funny.

She was a victim. Pranks generally have victims. Whether or not people find this type of thing funny is really irrelevant; when it puts someone's job in jeopardy, it should be considered the wrong thing to do. Furthermore, I think impersonating someone to get information that one isn't privy to should be against the law.

Guest American Woman

It sounds as if the law may have been broken, as consent is required in order to air the words of any identifiable person,

AUSTRALIA's media watchdog has launched an official investigation into the Summer Hot30's royal radio prank, with likely powers to compel parent company Southern Cross Austereo to name those within its ranks who okayed the now infamous hoax to air.

The radio station could be shut down.