So do those Jerk Aussie DJs deserve to be fired?

Boges

I'm not bothering with a link. If you don't know this story you've had your head under a rock for a week.

Here's a synopsis:

- Kate and Will are having a baby.

- Kate has bad morning sickness and gets hospitalized.

- Two shock jocks from Down Under call the hospital badly impersonating the Queen and Prince Charles

- Nurse (obviously East Indian so perhaps not knowing how horrible the impression was) lets the call through.

- Other nurse gives private information about Kate.

- Sh!t say hello to Fan

- First Nurse offs herself.

- Looks like said Shock Jocks are going to lose their jobs.

BTW one of them is super hot!

http://media.heavy.com/media/2012/12/amazingrace-Copy.jpg

Now obviously they didn't intend to cause such harm but I think they deserve the flack they are getting for this woman's suicide.

They were jerks!

Just as they loved the good pub they got internationally from the stunt they should own the bad pub they're getting now that what they did moved a woman to end her life.

Thoughts?

Edited by Boges

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I don't get someone's sense of humour but to me disturbing people who are just trying to do their jobs by making prank calls to those people is not very good humour. It is just tasteless and very bad manners.

They should go to the woman's funeral and apologize in person.

I doubt very much that her family wants them there.

I saw them interviewed and they are clearly remorseful.

Losing their jobs is a natural consequence of offending people. The people who put the call through and provided personal info likely stood to be disciplined or fired, so it's appropriate that the pranksters do too.

Edited by jacee

No, the station was happy with what they were doing. How could they know somebody of that fragile an emotional state would kill herself. This woman must have have mental problems before this.

That is right ,they did not know, that is why you don't do stupo id shit like this. And they were able to get personal info by fraudulent means ,they should be charged with that.

I doubt very much that her family wants them there.

I saw them interviewed and they are clearly remorseful.

Losing their jobs is a natural consequence of offending people. The people who put the call through and provided personal info likely stood to be disciplined or fired, so it's appropriate that the pranksters do too.

According to the hospital, the nurse who put the call thru and killed herself was not reprimanded.

No they were doing a job and we don't know the mental state of the suicide. The hospital is attempting to shift blame. It was hospital procedure that broke down. I'm sure there's a protocol violation.

The Aussies had no reason to expect such an outcome...butterfly wings.

No they were doing a job and we don't know the mental state of the suicide. The hospital is attempting to shift blame. It was hospital procedure that broke down. I'm sure there's a protocol violation.

The Aussies had no reason to expect such an outcome...butterfly wings.

The supposition is though that you don't try to test the procedures of institutions such as hospitals, police stations, fire brigades etc and get away with it? The suicide of the nurse is one thing, making a prank call to a hospital is another.

Guest American Woman
Perhaps I don't get someone's sense of humour but to me disturbing people who are just trying to do their jobs by making prank calls to those people is not very good humour. It is just tasteless and very bad manners.

I agree 100%. I don't see the humor in it.

I saw them on CNN and they were quite unset of what they did and regret it. As far as the nurse, the police still don't know what actually killed her as yet, has anyone heard?

The post-mortem examination is scheduled to take place tomorrow.

Edited by American Woman

I saw them on CNN and they were quite unset of what they did and regret it. As far as the nurse, the police still don't know what actually killed her as yet, has anyone heard?

I'm sure they were, and rightly so. They likely caused the death of someone. But if you're willing to make someone an international laughing stock to get ratings, that might happen. Sure they may not have known if she was in a fragile state. But if any of us made international news for doing something foolish, I'd imagine we'd all feel pretty horrible. Others have probably killed themselves for less. That's why I find shows like Tosh.0, though very funny, rather unsettling at time. I only hope they get permission from the subjects before they broadcast those videos.

Edited by Boges

Now obviously they didn't intend to cause such harm but I think they deserve the flack they are getting for this woman's suicide.
They are absolutely blameless when it comes to the woman's suicide. But they should be fired for the deception because it was not ethical (i.e. even if the woman did not die they still should be fired). Letting them keep their jobs is giving publicly sanctioning to every politician, businessman or crook that uses deception to advance their self interest. Firing them sends a message that deceiving people for personal gain is not acceptable.

They are absolutely blameless when it comes to the woman's suicide. But they should be fired for the deception because it was not ethical (i.e. even if the woman did not die they still should be fired). Letting them keep their jobs is giving publicly sanctioning to every politician, businessman or crook that uses deception to advance their self interest. Firing them sends a message that deceiving people for personal gain is not acceptable.

They were bragging about what they did until the lady offed herself. So their contrition is only a result of the suicide and not because they did a really cruddy thing to those ladies.

I tend to agree. And they crossed another line by whom they chose as their target, heads of state are pretty risky targets to get a cheap laugh over. Also, targeting a woman in a hospital is also another dumb move.

Edited by sharkman

It is subjective if one finds it funny or not , and that cannot be debated.

As for me, kind of funny since it was done in fun from the outset. CHange it around and it was the Queen Mother dying, well thats different. I have been around long enough to have seen this done before, be it heads of state or Prime Ministers being punked, the idea is based in all in good fun.

No reasonable person would think the end result is a suicide from the embarassment. And frankly, the embarassment does not seem so bad. I would probably be more steamed to have been punked than embarassed.

I feel bad for her family , but part of me thinks she had major complications prior to this snafu. It certainly does not lessen the pain the family feels but if they think "if not for the phone call she would be here today" they are likely deluding themselves. The next red light when she is in a rush might be the trigger.

Its a rich target to get to and punk, Will and Kate that is, as it brings worldwide attention since everyone knows who she is. Well, maybe not in northern China but I digress.

Protocol at the hospital either broke down, or was not adamantly instituted.

The DJ's appear genuinely contrite for what transpired and I dont think they should be fired. Reprimanded definitely.

The DJ's appear genuinely contrite for what transpired and I dont think they should be fired. Reprimanded definitely.
What is the difference between the DJs and those people who call up seniors pretending to be grandchildren in distress in order to bilk them out of money? The DJs did it for personal gain - just like the telephone con men. No public interest was served by their stunt. Edited by TimG

What is the difference between the DJs and those people who call up seniors pretending to be grandchildren in distress in order to bilk them out of money?

A lot.

Thats a rhetorical question....I hope.

The DJs did it for personal gain - just like the telephone con men. No public interest was served by their stunt.

Oh, did they ask Kate for some cash? I did not know that.

Private interest was served, does that matter?

Radio station producers and management were complicit in the prank call, approved it, and hoped to benefit from it. Sack the entire lot of them. Shock jocks have been doing this for years, but this time it blew up in their faces.

I agree.... They should not be allowed to attempt to get personal medical information by fraudulent means in the first place. Why would that be OK, even if it didn't cause the nurse to kill herself?

The suicide of the nurse just makes it even worse. These people are the lowest of the low....

Guest American Woman

I agree.... They should not be allowed to attempt to get personal medical information by fraudulent means in the first place. Why would that be OK, even if it didn't cause the nurse to kill herself?

Agreed. Seems to me that would be breaking the law.

The suicide of the nurse just makes it even worse. These people are the lowest of the low....

The death isn't a confirmed suicide.... will be interesting to see what the examination reveals tomorrow.