People not using Multiquote button

Merlin

Day after day I have to read several posts in a row in the same thread by the same poster. These people are not using the "Multiquote" button and are spamming the forums. I'm not sure if it's a tactic in order to inflate their post count or what it is.

This multiquote button is used to use one post to respond to to several posts at the same time, saving the forums resources and the readers patience at the same time.

There are several posters who are doing this, it isn't just one poster.

edit- I've also noticed people aren't snipping their posts as they are supposed to. Wastes resources and makes it hard to read.

Edited by Merlin

Over inflated Hall Monitor now are we?

Day after day I have to read several posts in a row in the same thread by the same poster. These people are not using the "Multiquote" button and are spamming the forums. I'm not sure if it's a tactic in order to inflate their post count or what it is.

This multiquote button is used to use one post to respond to to several posts at the same time, saving the forums resources and the readers patience at the same time.

There are several posters who are doing this, it isn't just one poster.

edit- I've also noticed people aren't snipping their posts as they are supposed to. Wastes resources and makes it hard to read.

No.

Because post count is so very important, right?

Never could figure out how that multiquote thing worked. Thanks to Merlin, now I do.

I've tried using it a couple times but my computer doesn't like it so, i don't use it It could have been sick with a virus but will try when the computer is feeling better.

Try another browser. For a while IE Explorer and multi-quote didnt' like each other.

Guest American Woman
Day after day I have to read several posts in a row in the same thread by the same poster.

Really? Who's making you read them?

Would "having to read" the exact same thing in one looooong post somehow be less tedious? Do you have the same problem with books being broken down into chapters? tongue.png

I would project that everyone doesn't generally read through a whole thread, making sure that there are no more posts that they'd like to respond to, before replying to a single post.

Edited by American Woman

• Forum Admin

Really? Who's making you read them?

Merlin is right, using multi-quote is the preferred method of replying to more than one post.

It's not difficult to use, so I expect everyone to try to use it whenever possible.

Guest American Woman

Merlin is right, using multi-quote is the preferred method of replying to more than one post.

Be that as it may, no one is making him read multi-posts, any more than he has to read a long response which contains quotes from several posters. Furthermore, the content is exactly the same. Which was my point.

It's not difficult to use, so I expect everyone to try to use it whenever possible.

Why? - does it save that much bandwidth?

It does make for some long posts and some confusion as to who said what when more than one person is quoted within a post, especially if their post is quoted and responded to in sections, as sometimes people simply scan through posts - especially really long ones. I prefer reading several posts that keep individual viewpoints clearly stated - I find it easier and more pleasant to read. I think it's a more 'user friendly' mode - just as I wouldn't find reading threads that all run together easy to navigate through. Also, sometimes I have no interest in reading a particular poster, and it's easier to avoid if several quotes aren't all lumped together. As I also stated, sometimes I want to respond to a post then and there - rather than read through the entire thread to see if there are other posts that I'd like to respond to. Last but not least, if I lose a post for whatever reason, it's much more annoying to lose a post with, in effect, multiple responses within it.

Just stating a different point of view from Merlin's, which I think is just as valid, so I'm really curious as to whether the multi-quote feature does save a significant amount of bandwidth,.

Guest American Woman
No. It does not save bandwidth and saving badwidth is not an issue.

The Multi-Quote format is commonly the preferred method. That is all. It really does come down to a difference in aesthetic opinion.

Thank you for your response/explanation.

Edited to add:

Since it's just a matter of a difference in aesthetic opinion, I have to wonder why everyone is 'expected to try to use it whenever possible.'

Edited by American Woman

No. It does not save bandwidth and saving badwidth is not an issue.

The Multi-Quote format is commonly the preferred method. That is all. It really does come down to a difference in aesthetic opinion.

Makes no sense to me to combine in one post quotes and responses to a number of people. Just creates a dog's breakfast as people try to respond to a multiquote post.

Guest American Woman

My guess, it makes it easier to follow conversations and to scroll back to see what people were saying.

How does one large post make it easier to scroll back and read than several small posts? I think it's more difficult to scroll back and have to find the quote/reponse I want buried in a multi-quoted post. It's like it's a lot easier to go back and find your place in a book with chapters than it would be if the whole book just ran together.

How does one large post make it easier to scroll back and read than several small posts? I think it's more difficult to scroll back and have to find the quote/reponse I want buried in a multi-quoted post. It's like it's a lot easier to go back and find your place in a book with chapters than it would be if the whole book just ran together.

Imagine if the posts betsy's been making in the gay thread were all clump into one post - not 4 or 5 individual posts all at once?

Guest American Woman
Imagine if the posts betsy's been making in the gay thread were all clump into one post - not 4 or 5 individual posts all at once?

I'm not sure what you're saying, but if I were looking for a response to my post, and wasn't interested in a lot of the others, I think it would be a lot easier to find in a single-quote reply, ie: with my name and quote at the top of the reply, than it would be to find it buried in one clump of a post.