What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

Really diggn’ this thread. It is hard not to like “What makes a good man” by The Heavy. I love the Imelda May tune and will definitely be getting some more of her stuff.

I'm a big fan of the Pogues. I like this simple cover of "Fairytale of New York" by Gianni and Sarah, two members of Walk Off The Earth. WOTE makes some very creative YouTube videos, check them out here. They even post videos showing how they make their videos.

Example of one of their cool, self made, YouTube vids:

The way the economy is going, the video could be about home furnishings for young people moving away from home!

The band name rung a bell with me, and then I remembered why -- they could only afford to buy one guitar, so they all had to learn how to play it with five band members:

Fascinating factoids from the distant past dept: Sandy Denny had already made her name as a solo artist and as a member of the Strawbs before joining Fairport Convention. When I discovered the Strawbs back in the early 70's, they were prog rock band that wrote dark and often disturbing lyrics....the whole album - Grave New World for example. But, it wasn't until I found an old disc in the import bin of the local record store of an early Strawbs album with Sandy Denny, that I discovered her, Fairport Convention, and realized what a metamorphosis the Strawbs had made from the 60's through the 70's. Anyway, this was one of my favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watc'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=shlRX7zFP64

I went through a number of the "Best Albums of 2012" lists and created an aggregate. Depending on your age and how closely you follow these things, you may not have heard of very many (perhaps any?) of these acts. Here they are nonetheless:

Rank) Artist - Album (genre)

1) Frank Ocean - Channel Orange (R&B)

8788904.jpg

2) Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city (Hip-Hop)

2345634.jpg

3) Tame Impala - Lonerism (Psychedellic Rock)

2362575.jpg

4) Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel… (Alternative)

8762520.jpg

5) Japandroids - Celebration Rock (Indie Rock)

2200839.jpg

6) Swans - The Seer (post-rock, experimental)

2298528.jpg

7) Grimes - Visions (electronic, experimental)

2097416.jpg

8) Grizzly Bear - Shields (Indie Rock)

2311249.jpg

9) Beach House - Bloom (Dream Pop)

2172785.jpg

10) Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan (Experimental Rock, Art Pop)

2226845.jpg

Edited by cybercoma

I like to listen to Marilyn Lightstone's show 'Nocturne' on the radio. You know you can hear all kinds of free stuff on the radio?

Anyway her show is an hour of beautiful music and poetry. Classical music, some Beethoven (inner movements of course). They broadcast out of Toronto. You can hear it live online at http://www.classical963fm.com/ every night at 11pm.

But I prefer use radio to listen to it because, it's free.

Edited by Manny

Two great live rock covers:

Metallica covering my favourite Bob Seager tune:

The Tea Party covering Daniel Lanois:

Metallica is my favorite band, and Hetfield's voice has gone downhill even since he recorded this but he does a really good job here, surprisingly.

Tea Party is a great band, The Messenger is my favorite song of theirs, never knew it was a cover. Saw them play it live a couple years ago.

I had been on a serious Southern Rock kick for a while... Lynyrd Skynyrd, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet... I think I'm mostly over it, although I've been interested in Skynyrd and Outlaws ever since I got my own guitar... funny how that works.

Lately I've been listening to the Silversun Pickups.

-k