What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2012 at 9:30 PM, Mighty AC said:

I'm always in search of new (to me) and great music. Tell us what you're listening to, why you connect with it, etc. Provide links to songs or lyrics where possible.

I've always been a fan of the great Canadian band,The Tea Party. As I write this the song playing is "Lament" by the lead singer of that band from a solo project, Jeff Martin. In this version he cuts into "I am stretched on your grave", a 17th century Irish Poem. I can't find the album version on YouTube:

Mumford and Sons is a phenomenal band and very popular. "Dust Bowl Dance" is good on the album version but it is OUTSTANDING live. Check out the video:

Two of what may be pop's greatest rock groups were Canadian: The Guess Who and Rush.

(As a side note. If you're wondering why current music isn't competing too well with oldies of the past, it isn't the quality of the writing. Livingston Taylor (brother of James Taylor) once said that the record companies at one time were the gatekeepers of pop music, in that they decided what would go on the radio and what would be a hit. They had that power because at the time recording was so expensive.

The Beatles spent around 30,000 pounds back in the early Sixties to record Sgt  Pepper on four tracks. Today, you can DOWNLOAD a generic AND VERY STATE OF THE ART recording studio for FREE. If you have Windows 10 64 bit, you can download for free Cakewalk Bandlab, which a LOT of commercial recording studios are using. 

Today's music is probably just as good as the hits of the past. Thing is, the market is flooded with new music, since it's so cheap to record.  And the record companies have very little control over that process any more, since radio is no longer then sole source of introducing new music.)

Speaking of early MTV history, Cyndi Lauper spent around $25000 making a music video. Today, cell phones are all video cameras and video editing software is pretty cheap. (Might even be free by now.) But around 15 years ago, there was Sony Vegas, a video editing software going for $75. Admittedly, the editing is the most time consuming part of creating a video. But it's so much cheaper to do it yourself.

RIP Ian Bairnson.

Responsible for the one of the finest 90 seconds or so in the history of music.

Philistines can skip straight to the 3 minute mark to see what I'm talking about.

• 2 weeks later...