Disney buying Star Wars?

TheNewTeddy

Oh, I'm sure the product will just be excellent... he said with no conviction whatsoever.

Might not be so bad, Michael. According to the article, a LucasFilm person will remain as manager and George himself will still be around as a creative consultant. Considering that Mr. Lucas is no longer a spring chicken this might be the best one might hope.

As I said, George at least is still alive. Things in the Star Trek franchise were touch and go for a while when Roddenberry died.

They've made post Episode VI video games. The universe has fiction that goes beyond the death of the Emperor. I'm not a Star Wars nerd so I have no idea what it is though.

Since all the actors involved are old they might have to move forward a few decades like the difference between Episode III and IV.

Or they could go the Star Trek route and recast all the actors in sort of a reboot. Tyler Perry as Lando anyone? Jennifer Lawrence as Leah? Aaron Paul as Luke? Ryan Gosling as Han? laugh.png

The Star Wars Universe has such a geek following it would be idiotic not to make another movie to rake in the money. Re-doing all the movies in 3D is kind of lame.

Edited by Boges

I'm a massive Star Wars nerd. This is shocking, but honestly a relief. It means much needed change, and change by a powerhouse company like Disney. The Star Wars brand has been a sinking ship creatively since George brought out those garbage "special edition" versions of the original trilogy a few years before Episode One came out. Lucas made those horrible prequels, and has continued to tinker with the original films in awful ways (with awful CG) every time a new home video release comes out. The further the Star Wars brand is from Lucas, the better. He's a more of a business man than filmmaker now, twisted and evil.

The best things that have come from the brand in the last 25 years have come from other creators/writers, so I'm excited to see where Disney will lead SW. They have Pixar in their pocket so even CG films could be amazing. I've also always dreamed of a SW amusement park where i could explore the millennium falcon and Death Star, drive speeder bikes, say wussup to Jabba the Hutt etc. so I'm sure Star Wars will now be incorporated into the Disney theme parks in a significant way which is exciting.

Following huge criticisms of the prequels and home video changes, Lucas has felt for years like he can never please fans. I think he's tired of the Star Wars brand, I don't think he wants much to do with it anymore and wants to move on in his life. He's said he wants to create new kinds of films, like small dramas like "Red Tails". Maybe this will mean one day we'll finally get a restored & unedited dvd/blu-ray release of the original trilogy as they appeared in the theaters without all of Lucas' crappy CG changes.

Following huge criticisms of the prequels and home video changes, Lucas has felt for years like he can never please fans. I think he's tired of the Star Wars brand, I don't think he wants much to do with it anymore and wants to move on in his life. He's said he wants to create new kinds of films, like small dramas like "Red Tails". Maybe this will mean one day we'll finally get a restored & unedited home video/dvd/blu-ray release of the original trilogy as they appeared in the theaters without all of Lucas' crappy CG changes.

Just watched a Lucas interview. He basically said he's getting close to retirement from the filmmaking business. Also, he's handing the company creative controls off to a friend and longtime creative partner within Lucasfilm so now I'm doubtful of any future home video release of the original trilogy without the recent crappy Lucas CG changes...at least while he's alive. At least he didn't hand the company off to his children where there'd be no chance they'd go against his father's twisted revisioning.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Hey, if fans can tolerate the way George Lucas butchered the original versions for continuity and digital special effects, how much worse could Disney do?

Actually the Marvel series movies are still doing well if not better! (in my opinion)

And Stan Lee still makes a cameo appearance in every one!

I wouldn't know the difference unless someone told me.

WWWTT

I'd be much more interested in seeing a Star Wars series set in the "Old Republic" era than one set after Return of the Jedi.

The only Star Wars books I've read were the "Heir to the Empire" series, set in the "New Republic", and they were ok. But I loved the "Old Republic" video games, and I gather there's a whole lot of pre-history to the Star Wars universe that they could turn into a movie series. It's a huge mythos, there's no end of possibilities.

I think that trying to cast a new Han Solo is a disastrously bad idea that would only end in shame and failure for everyone involved.

-k

I think that trying to cast a new Han Solo is a disastrously bad idea that would only end in shame and failure for everyone involved.

-k

Hi Kimmy,when you write end in shame and failure,do you mean that a new Star wars series casting a new Han would not earn billions?Or just that you would not like it?

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Well I hope Disney doesn’t Frak up the series……………I wouldn’t mind seeing Hamill, Ford, Hoffman and Fisher reprise their roles………..Older, wiser and fatter………Just as long as they CG Fisher in the Bikini………..

Hi Kimmy,when you write end in shame and failure,do you mean that a new Star wars series casting a new Han would not earn billions?Or just that you would not like it?

WWWTT

oh, I'm sure that the new Star Wars movie(s) will earn vast sums of money-- hell, I'll probably pay to see them myself.

But trying to recreate Han Solo with another actor is just not going to work. In my opinion. I mean, you can keep re-casting Batman over and over, because the character is much bigger than the actor playing him. But Han Solo *is* Harrison Ford. The character is irrevocably linked with the actor.

Maybe you could say that the idea of anybody other than Sean Connery being James Bond was unthinkable at some point as well, but "he's not Sean Connery" was (and still is) a criticism raised against every actor who has played the role since.

-k

But I loved the "Old Republic" video games, and I gather there's a whole lot of pre-history to the Star Wars universe that they could turn into a movie series. It's a huge mythos, there's no end of possibilities.

Ya the first Knights of the Old Republic game from around 2005 was really great, superb storyline and good characters (though a few cookie cutters like the wookie, the yoda-esque jedi master, and the r2d2-like droid). They should get those writers on board.

I'd hope nobody would be so stupid as to recast the aoriginal trilogy characters. The old fogies would be fun to have together again but I'll bet they'll do a series post-Luke with a new generation of characters. Maybe Luke's son/grandson or something. Then again, I believe all of the cast from the original series is still alive minus characters that already died on-screen (Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, dude who wore the Vader suit on-screen).

Guest Derek L

Was talking to my wife about it, and she pointed out that Lucas has potentially saved a fortune selling Star Wars, for if Obama wins, and Lucas sold the franchise next year, he’d pay considerably more money in taxes on the sale.

Can you imagine the negotiations between Lucas and Disney?

I can't resist!

The gohst of Walt Disney approaches Lucas and tells him that Hollywood has fallen under the shroud of darkness and that in fact a "Dark Sith" was controlling Hollywood!

Lucas says,"No,you are lying!I would feel the presence of a Dark Lord"

The Gohst Of Walt says "The dark side has surrounded you in confusion my young padawan,join me and together we will rule hollywood!

NOOOOOO!

And then they both draw their light sabers and battle!

But because Lucas is fat and smokes his arm gets cut off!

Lucas drops to his knees and says "I will do anything you ask my master,just please save Hollywood,she is all I have"

And Darth Walt says "GOOOOOOOD"

And ya that's pretty much how it went.

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Can you imagine the negotiations between Lucas and Disney?

I can't resist!

The gohst of Walt Disney approaches Lucas and tells him that Hollywood has fallen under the shroud of darkness and that in fact a "Dark Sith" was controlling Hollywood!

Lucas says,"No,you are lying!I would feel the presence of a Dark Lord"

The Gohst Of Walt says "The dark side has surrounded you in confusion my young padawan,join me and together we will rule hollywood!

NOOOOOO!

And then they both draw their light sabers and battle!

But because Lucas is fat and smokes his arm gets cut off!

Lucas drops to his knees and says "I will do anything you ask my master,just please save Hollywood,she is all I have"

And Darth Walt says "GOOOOOOOD"

And ya that's pretty much how it went.

WWWTT

Just think.........Star Wars.........The musical biggrin.png