What are you reading right now?

msj

Thought I would see what others are reading in their leisure time.

Right now I have started "reading" Swordspoint: A Melodrama of Manners by Ellen Kushner.

I've put reading in quotes because I'm actually listening to the audio book version (via audibile).

I would have never have thought to try out this book if it wasn't for Neil Gaiman's influence in bringing it about. Gaimans' American Gods is one of my favourite books of all time.

Just got into the book so can't say much more than it is fantasy book about swordsmen and aristocrats. It's considered a fairy tale for adults.

For a guy who is used to reading non-fiction (history/philosophy) the switch to Neil Gaiman and Ellen Kushner is quite a change.

Anyway, since I'm always looking for interesting books, what are you reading?

Tell us about what you're reading, why you like it (or not), what led you to reading your latest book and what you plan on reading next.

Edited by msj

The Vanishing Country by Mel Hurtig. This non-fiction book is about the big "sell-out" and the evil "Americanizers" who have betrayed Canada. It is a fascinating study in the total helplessness and domination by "American-style" everything as expressed by some Canadians.

My next read will be Too Close for Comfort by Maude Barlow. I recently finished Fire and Ice by Michael Adams, but found it to be a clumsy summary of the author's "cultural maps" based on Environics surveys.

When it comes to the USA, it would seem that some Canadians are a very paranoid lot.

Didn't realize Bush_cheney2004 was a masochist for Canadian "non-fiction." biggrin.png

It's the least I can do considering that so many Canadians are "masochists" for perceived "Americanization". The scope and depth of this national neurosis is well documented by Canadian authors, and I delight in their written confirmation of my personal observations.

It's the least I can do considering that so many Canadians are "masochists" for perceived "Americanization". The scope and depth of this national neurosis is well documented by Canadian authors, and I delight in their written confirmation of my personal observations.

IOW, fiction.

Thanks CC - going to add that one to my wishlist.

Going to Palm Springs for work and fun so I just added Neil Gaiman's/Terry Pratchett's Good Omens to my Kindle.

While comparing prices I noticed that Gaiman's American Gods 10th Anniversary edition is on sale on iTunes for $3.99.

Highly recommend this book - I have read it and listened to the audible version.

Edited by msj

If people are looking for book recommendations, I would suggest these as some of the best fiction that I've read.

Light in August by William Faulkner

Light-In-August.jpg

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

siddhartha-hermann-hesse-book-cover-art.jpg

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind

Yeah, there was a movie. The book is an entirely different experience.

Perfume_book_cover.jpg

Sea of Fertility by Yukio Mishima

Ok. Technically it's a tetralogy, but I had to include it. The books are Spring Snow, Runaway Horses, The Temple of Dawn, and The Decay of the Angel.

I'll spare you all 4 book covers. :)

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

one_hundred_years_of_solitude.jpg

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

There's a movie adaptation of this book currently being made by Ang Lee. It should be in theatres soon. Also, Yann Martel is a Canadian author.

200px-Life_of_Pi_cover.png

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

While this is technically a sci-fi book, she doesn't get into techy sci-fi language and description. Time travel is used as a plot device, but there is no elaboration on the mechanisms of time travel or scientific jargon about it. This is sci-fi done right.

e2689ddf.jpg

White Noise by Don Delillo

Be forewarned, this is a postmodern novel. If you don't like postmodernism, you'll hate it.

WHITE-NOISE.jpg

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

Yes. The film Blade Runner was loosely based on the novel. I emphasize loosely because they are quite different. Surprisingly, they are both amazing in their own right. Comparing them to each other is like comparing apples and oranges though.

51figp%2BFE8L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'll leave it at that for now. I'm a big fan of literary and non-fiction graphic novels, so I may make a post later about some of my favourites in that genre too.

• 2 weeks later...