What are you reading right now?

msj

7 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

What's it about?

Set a couple of hundred years in the future it's confined to the Solar System. (Where I'm up to, anyway.  Near the end of the first book)

Earth, Mars and the Asteroid Belt are separate political entities and they don't get along that well.  The protagonists are a jaded Belter cop and a more idealistic cargo ship captain who are thrust together by circumstances in opposition to the bad guys, who seem to be working to weaponize a virus of alien origin. 

It's not not up there with the best SF I've read but it is easy to read and very enjoyable.

15 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Set a couple of hundred years in the future it's confined to the Solar System. (Where I'm up to, anyway.  Near the end of the first book)

Earth, Mars and the Asteroid Belt are separate political entities and they don't get along that well.  The protagonists are a jaded Belter cop and a more idealistic cargo ship captain who are thrust together by circumstances in opposition to the bad guys, who seem to be working to weaponize a virus of alien origin. 

It's not not up there with the best SF I've read but it is easy to read and very enjoyable.

I'll have to check it out! Hopefully they have it for Kindle. (Which I have found saves shelf space.)

19 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Yes, I've read quite a few of them.

I'm waiting for the one where they introduce Dirk's older brother - Arm. 

**ba dumm tsssss**

The sad this is, it took me a few seconds to get that. I seriously had to think it through.

did you read the one where the U.S. "bought" Canada, somehow? That was actually a good one, despite being implausible. 

I was re-reading a couple lately. Think I originally read them in late middle school/early high school days.

47 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

The sad this is, it took me a few seconds to get that. I seriously had to think it through.

did you read the one where the U.S. "bought" Canada, somehow? That was actually a good one, despite being implausible. 

I was re-reading a couple lately. Think I originally read them in late middle school/early high school days.

Yes, I have an odd sense of humour. :unsure:

I think the book you're thinking of is Night Probe.  Ya, it was a gooder.

Sahara was good too.  And then the movie.

Edited by Goddess

I haven't read Sahara, yet. I have read a bunch of the "original" ones (the ones up to Trojan-whatever, where Cussler is writing by himself and the main character is still Dirk Pitt). If I remember correctly:

Inca gold, Treasure, Deep Six, Cyclops, Raise the Titanic, Night Probe, Atlantis Found, Valhalla Rising, Flood Tide. Might have read Iceberg....or not. It was in high school I read most of them (I'm 40, now). I bought used copies of Treasure and Cyclops to re-read since it's been so long. But there are so many books I have only read partway through. Sahara was indeed a good movie. 

I started a good one to read while I'm reading Shogun: The Lost World of Byzantium. Always loved the Byzantines for some weird reason. (I never finished Lord Norwich's series on the same, alas.)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm re-reading the Miles Vorkosigan series because it's been a while. I appreciate Lois Bujold's writing much more than first time around, and love the cleverness of her characters and dialogue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Vorkosigan

Edited by Argus

• 3 weeks later...

I recently finished reading Second Serve by Renee Richards and John Ames.

I thought this book would give me some good tennis tips, such as how to improve my second serve. Only trouble is that Renee Richards, formerly Dick Raskind is a "leftie." Only kidding. I knew it wasn't a sports-coaching book though she did coach Martina Navratilova.

I found this book in my beloved and late father-in-law's library. My father-in-law was his classmate and tennis-teammate at Yale, and close lifelong friend. Dr. Richards has other deep and abiding ties to my family. The book is definitely "R" if not "X" rated. Reading parts of the book is tinged with the fascination of driving past a multi-car pileup. That being said, the only way the book could make its point was to be brutally straightforward.

Dr. Richards describes rather graphically her adventures with gender confusion, which were not aided by certain people in her family. Dick Raskind decided a fair amount of time that he would be best served by changing genders. He had gone through years of fruitless therapy, with doctors who basically tried to convince him to, in short form, forget about his problems. Despite those problems, he had risen to great accomplishments in both the medical and athletic fields as a male.

Forgetting about a deep-seated confusion, apparently, is easier said than done. Though the book ends in 1981 (she continues to practice medicine at age  87), about six years after the gender-changing surgery, the book gives tantalizing hints of a better, more satisfying future. This book is definitely worth reading.