Obamanomics at its Finest, or Solyndra II or or A123 Battery

It seems like alternative energy schemes, especially those espoused by Obama, have a high mortality rate. Solyndra. The maker of the abortive Volt battery, A123 (see article excerpts below, link). I don't know if it's Obama's gross incompetence, or more likely the result of trying to force a market where none exists, or maybe both. I do know that as a taxpayer I can find far better uses than pouring it down a rat hole.

Battery Maker Files for Bankruptcy

A123 Scraps China Deal and Will Sell Car Assets to Johnson Controls

Electric-car-battery manufacturer A123 Systems Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Tuesday with a plan to sell its auto-business assets to an American rival, Johnson Controls Inc., scrapping a proposed rescue by a Chinese company.

The filing by the recipient of nearly $250 million in federal-government grants and $358 million in start-up funding scuttled a previously announced plan to sell an 80% stake to Chinese auto-parts maker Wanxiang Group Corp. That deal had encountered opposition from lawmakers concerned about the transfer of American taxpayer dollars and technology to China.

A123's bankruptcy also represents a setback for the Obama administration's efforts to foster a market for electric vehicles and develop a homegrown supply of advanced batteries. It provides fodder for Republican presidential challenger Mitt Romney to continue attacking the president for his financial support of renewable-energy firms.

While A123 Systems' tumble into bankruptcy follows that of other stimulus missteps like backing for failed solar-panel manufacturer Solyndra LLC, the futures of the two companies differ markedly.

This story has been largely buried by the media. The bigger scandal is the "saving" of Detroit's auto sector, which was essentially theft of taxpayer funds to be to be shuttled to his union base. In terms of company-specific loans and tax credits, the federal government under Obama's direction sent GM and Chrysler over $100 billion.

This faux "green energy" scandal, which is a favourite tool of corruption from the left in the USA, Europe, and Canada, is BIG business. It's a big part of the financial ruin affecting Ontario, with the shifting of energy production from hydro to "green sources" like wind mills, which cost a hell of a lot more per kW/hour.

This is the Obama economy, where the government takes on a bigger and bigger role in directing things from Washington. Failure and economic ruin is inevitable

There was something about the chevy volt subsidies too...

http://dailycaller.c...sidy-up-to-10k/

http://www.mediaite....t-obama-future/

This is the inevitable consequence of governmental direction of the economy. Massive inefficiencies and corruption. As Romney said, Obama isn't just picking winners.... he's picking losers. This is faux venture capitalism with taxpayer money (mostly borrowed), often going to Obama supporters and bundlers (unions, "green energy" firms, etc).

EDIT - Perfect example of what we're talking about:

STIMULUS-FUNDED WORKERS PAID TO PLAY CARDS

Edited by kraychik

There was something about the chevy volt subsidies too...

http://dailycaller.c...sidy-up-to-10k/

http://www.mediaite....t-obama-future/

Same incident as the A123. I was going to list that as an additional example but it is the same boondoggle.

Just so we know. Bain and Romney investment 30% failure rate, Obama green energy program 2-5% failure rate. Only an idiot wouldn't invest in a 2-5% failure rate but I guess that tells us something about the people posting in this thread eh and why they aren't rich?

Even if your dubious numbers are correct they are irrelevant.

First, the Obama investments are with our money, not Obama's. Second of all the Bain investments are by definition in failed or failing companies. A 30% loss rate is quite good. If Obama wants to tell the people he was throwing taxpayer dollars into failed programs, let him.

Even if your dubious numbers are correct they are irrelevant.

First, the Obama investments are with our money, not Obama's. Second of all the Bain investments are by definition in failed or failing companies. A 30% loss rate is quite good. If Obama wants to tell the people he was throwing taxpayer dollars into failed programs, let him.

Yah expect everything you said isn't true. Was staples a failing business? How about Sensata? I agree after a company is with Bain for a little it becomes a failing company because they leverage them to the sky but most companies weren't in trouble until Bain got in the game. You could actually do some research on this instead of making claims that aren't backed up by fact.

Again only an idiot wouldn't invest knowing they are going to have 98 success rate which explains why you think these investments in American jobs are bad ones.

Yah expect everything you said isn't true. Was staples a failing business? How about Sensata? I agree after a company is with Bain for a little it becomes a failing company because they leverage them to the sky but most companies weren't in trouble until Bain got in the game. You could actually do some research on this instead of making claims that aren't backed up by fact.

Again only an idiot wouldn't invest knowing they are going to have 98 success rate which explains why you think these investments in American jobs are bad ones.

I believe, at the time Staples was either new, or failing. As for Sensata I have to plead ignorance.

If a company either didn't need capital or wasn't in trouble why would they involve Bain in the first place?

I believe, at the time Staples was either new, or failing. As for Sensata I have to plead ignorance.

If a company either didn't need capital or wasn't in trouble why would they involve Bain in the first place?

They don't involve Bain a lot of the time. Most of the time it is Bain buying up the company on the public market but here is the kicker they are able to buy the company by borrowing against the company they are buying. So a company that is doing just fine is bought by Bain and all of a sudden has to much debt that Bain just dumped on them and then they are in real trouble. Don't worry though because Bain can now cut cut cut cut make the company look lean and mean and sell it or borrow more against it. This is why 30% of companies Bain takes over fail. They aren't in the business of making things a success or keeping American jobs they are in the business of making money. Even if that means killing the goose or in this case American jobs and successful American companies.

This is what Mitt "knows how to do" however that is only going to kill America. That isn't the way you run a country.

So a company that is doing just fine is bought by Bain and all of a sudden has to much debt that Bain just dumped on them and then they are in real trouble.
A close friend of mine worked under Mitt at Bain in 1979-80. Suffice to say you don't know what you're talking about.

A close friend of mine worked under Mitt at Bain in 1979-80. Suffice to say you don't know what you're talking about.

Considering Bain capital the venture capital group we are talking about didn't exist until 1984 I think I'll stick with my opinions. A Bain which Romney worked for existed I am 1979 but they did a very different thing then Bain capital. I suggest you do do some research because your third hand stories don't really have any legs. Although a family member did work for a successful company Mitt took over to run I to the ground I promise you I know what I am talking about.