The Truth About Benghazi

Yes it depends on if you want to take the word of the CIA, and intelligence documents which were released in the congressional dumps and made before this thing blew up or if you want to take the world of one low level person who refuses to go on the record.

I think I know what I will go with.

Yes it depends on if you want to take the word of the CIA, and intelligence documents which were released in the congressional dumps and made before this thing blew up or if you want to take the world of one low level person who refuses to go on the record.

I think I know what I will go with.

Would you trust the CIA to give you some truth based on the fact that they let the cat out of the bag to say that this was a CIA outpost and not an embassy or a consulate?

Would you trust the CIA to give you some truth based on the fact that they let the cat out of the bag to say that this was a CIA outpost and not an embassy or a consulate?

Considering these were internal documents that got dump and weren't ment for anyone's but insiders eyes I would say yes. Remember also in those documents that were dumped by the Republicans were the names of the CIA's informants. You think they wanted that information out there?

Again do I believe the CIA's internal documents, or some guy who is low level and refuses to go on record and does not even provide facts? I know what I am going with.

We agree this was a terrorist attack we disagree on the nature of if it was highly planned or not, it seems now it was not just like Obama said the whole time and people in this thread was wrong. THIS IS WHY WE WAIT FOR FACTS PEOPLE. Politics needs to stop at the water's edge. Even Israel is saying now Romney's insistence on politicizing these things is making the Middle East a more dangerous place. Probably why Obama has gained as many as points from the time this happened till now and why Romney and this thread stopped talking about this issue.

]White House told of militant claim two hours after Libya attack: emails[/b]

(Reuters) - Officials at the White House and State Department were advised two hours after attackers assaulted the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11 that an Islamic militant group had claimed credit for the attack, official emails show

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/24/us-usa-benghazi-emails-idUSBRE89N02C20121024

So Obama knew that it was a terrorist attack within a couple of hours. Yet still blamed in on the video for weeks. Also, the embassy was under attack for over 7 hours, yet he did absolutely nothing to help the Americans trapped there. Does he not know that there's these things called aircraft carriers that you land planes on? That there are several stationed in the Gulf and Mediterranean? Obama should be impeached over this.

And said so in his first press conference afterwards...and the one after that. Funny that, eh?

That's debatable. But let's pretend you're right. So why, after that, did he continue to blame the video? And why, did he do absolutely nothing to help the Americans trapped in the attack for over 7 hours? Answer that fanboy,

Is this like, Bush was warned about planes flying into US buildings or Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbour??

Not really. That attack was underway, and the administration knew about it. In fact, I believe they had a drone in the area providing them video of what was going on. But Obama did nothing. For over 7 hours of an attack.

That's debatable. But let's pretend you're right. So why, after that, did he continue to blame the video? And why, did he do absolutely nothing to help the Americans trapped in the attack for over 7 hours? Answer that fanboy,

Because if you read the news in the last 10 days you would know from the Intel the Terrorist jumped on the fact that 19 spontaneous protests broke out due to the video to stage their spontaneous attack. THAT IS WHAT THE DOCUMENTS REPUBLICANS DUMPED SAY SHADY.

Glad Republicans chose to make this a foreign policy election though because as we saw the other night Romney knows nothing about it. JUST LIKE YOU SHADY.

Reports are saying though Turkey has just picked one of the terrorist involved in the attack. Obama plans on hunting those attackers to the ends of the earth and already has one of them. It took Bush forever to get the 9/11 guys Obama is already picking these guys off. That is a true leader unlike wont move heave and earth Romney.

Edited by punked

LA times report 3 days ago with documentation to back it up that this was a terrorist attack ut was never planned. It looks like a spontaneous attack maybe catch up on the news.

Yeah, a spontaneous attack on September 11 with RPGs, AK-47s, and mortars. Gotta love the LA Times and its fanbase.

The truth is it's completely irrelevant what the President says, what the State Department says, what the CIA says or what the Washinton Post says. It was clearly a coordinated attack carried out on a symbolic date with RPGs, AK-47s, and mortars. I don't need this information to be interpreted for me. I knew on day one, as many sensible people did, that this was a terrorist attack (which is by definition premeditated, unless you agree with the UN that terrorism has yet to be defined).

Yeah, a spontaneous attack on September 11 with RPGs, AK-47s, and mortars. Gotta love the LA Times and its fanbase.

Again this is Lybia they just has a civil war where the populous on both sides were given AK-47s and RPGs. It seems from the reports these men jumped on the bandwagon of turmoil in the region and took it upon themselves to attack the Americans. The next day the other side organized on the drop of a dime and had a gun fight with AK-47s and RPGs to take to the Islamic groups HQ.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/libyan-protesters-storm-militia-compound-in-benghazi/article4560913/

So yep it is quite apparent they can spontaneously organize BECAUSE THE PRO AMERICAN SIDE DID IT THE NEXT DAY.

Don't let facts and inside reports get in your way though you just keep up the Romnesia and lying about what is being reported.

The truth is it's completely irrelevant what the President says, what the State Department says, what the CIA says or what the Washinton Post says. It was clearly a coordinated attack carried out on a symbolic date with RPGs, AK-47s, and mortars. I don't need this information to be interpreted for me. I knew on day one, as many sensible people did, that this was a terrorist attack (which is by definition premeditated, unless you agree with the UN that terrorism has yet to be defined).

Yah accept it isn't clear at all. In fact all Intel says that once the protest started in Egypt this Islamic group made a decision to attack the consulate and not a minute before. It looks like they caught one of these guys in Turkey so we will know real soon who planned what when.

Edited by punked

Guest Derek L

So Obama knew that it was a terrorist attack within a couple of hours. Yet still blamed in on the video for weeks. Also, the embassy was under attack for over 7 hours, yet he did absolutely nothing to help the Americans trapped there. Does he not know that there's these things called aircraft carriers that you land planes on? That there are several stationed in the Gulf and Mediterranean? Obama should be impeached over this.

The three aircraft carriers deployed in the 5th (Persian Gulf) and 6th (Eastern Mediterranean) fleets area of operations during the Benghazi attack were more than several days steaming from Libya (In the Gulf and Arabian Sea) and couldn’t have effected the outcome………….But more importantly, prior to the Obama administration, the United States traditionally maintained a forward deployed Marine Expeditionary Unit (With integral special forces) within the Mediterranean, and even if the MEU was in the Eastern Mediterranean, it could have still deployed near two companies of Marines/SEALS, with Ospreys and Harriers supported by either American or RAF (From Cyprus) aerial tankers within several hours……….Not so much after Obama’s defence reductions……..

With that said, the USAF does have a tactical fighter wing based in Northern Italy (Aviano) and could have forward deployed them to a USN air station in Southern Italy (NAS Sigonella), followed with air strikes on the attackers within several, at the most four, hours………..

Their actual response, rather “Canadian like”, was to send several Destroyers and a handful of Marines to Tripoli after the fact………..

Guest Derek L

Unlike FDR or Bush, Obama was watching the attack live via drones..........Just heard that on the news and they have video...........

Unlike FDR or Bush, Obama was watching the attack live via drones..........Just heard that on the news and they have video...........

Yes, that's what's so astonishing. They were watching the attack in real time, with military personnel just an hour away, and did nothing for the complete duration of the 7 hour attack. Like I said, Obama doesn't just deserve to lose the election, he deserves to be impeached.

Yes, that's what's so astonishing. They were watching the attack in real time, with military personnel just an hour away, and did nothing for the complete duration of the 7 hour attack. Like I said, Obama doesn't just deserve to lose the election, he deserves to be impeached.

Oh give it a rest. If this thread has proven anything, it has been conservatives jump to conclusion with out knowing the whole story while embellishing facts. Next you will tell me all about the WMDs in Libya. I will wait for all the facts like you and Romney should have the first time. You don't know anything, that much you have proven time and time again.

Guest Derek L

Indeed……….It’s bad enough that requests for increased security, months prior, were denied, but that during the actual attack, the Obama administration didn’t respond………there’s no excuse really, the F-16s in Northern Italy are maintained at high readiness, took part in the Libyan action last year and even flying at a subsonic cruising speed of about ~ mach .7-.8 (The flight speed of a typical airliner) could have reached Benghazi in about two hours…….even add another hour to refuel either from tankers or landing at the Naval airbase in Southern Italy………Let’s even assume the alert F-16s were not armed with air to ground weaponry and had to be rearmed with a couple of rocket pods and Maverick AGMs…..we’re talking 15 minutes to half an hour………So what’s that? Being generous, 3 ½ hours from the word go to killing Hajjis’ from over Benghazi…….

Edited by Derek L

Indeed……….It’s bad enough that requests for increased security, months prior, were denied, but that during the actual attack, the Obama administration didn’t respond………there’s no excuse really, the F-16s in Northern Italy are maintained at high readiness, took part in the Libyan action last year and even flying at a subsonic cruising speed of about ~ mach .7-.8 (The flight speed of a typical airliner) could have reached Benghazi in about two hours…….even add another hour to refuel either from tankers or landing at the Naval airbase in Southern Italy………Let’s even assume the alert F-16s were not armed with air to ground weaponry and had to be rearmed with a couple of rocket pods and Maverick AGMs…..we’re talking 15 minutes to half an hour………So what’s that? Being generous, 3 ½ hours from the word go to killing Hajjis’ over Benghazi…….

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Looks like another one bit the dust. Egyptian involved in the attack was killed by security forces in Egypt today.

Edited by punked