McGuinty Resigns as Premier of Ontario

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

October 2013 at latest. But, more likely when the government comes close to running out of money and has to have a budget passed by the legislature. But, even more likely within the next couple of months.

But you don't know. . . So currently it's indefinitely

in·def·i·nite (ibreve.gifn-debreve.giffprime.gifschwa.gif-nibreve.gift)

adj.

Not definite, especially:

a.
Unclear; vague.

b.
Lacking precise limits:
an indefinite leave of absence.

c. Uncertain; undecided:
indefinite about their plans.

in·defprime.gifi·nite·ly adv.

in·defprime.gifi·nite·ness n.

Although you probably already know this, his stated reason for leaving was to spend more time with his family. He said he reflected on his priorities in life after attending his daughter's wedding.

I don't think newlyweds spend very much time with a boorish and boring father-in-law.

What precise limits are lacking? It is definitely within the next year. The Sun, of course, is making it sound as though it could be forever.

a. Unclear; vague.

At this point the plans are very unclear. If we have to wait a year before any legislation is tabled or passed, that's horrible.

At this point the plans are very unclear. If we have to wait a year before any legislation is tabled or passed, that's horrible.

McGuinty's plans are unclear, but the length of time the legislature can be prorogued is not indefinite, contrary to what the Sun said. And, yes, a year until it sits again would be terrible. But, the government would never be able to function that long without being granted funds by parliament.

a. Unclear; vague.

Stelmach sure stuck around a long time after his "resignation".

Stelmach sure stuck around a long time after his "resignation".

I think there is a clear and defined limit of one year.

But it's an argument of semantics and our connotation of the word indefinite.

They didn't set a timeline.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

552181_451911228184400_1148897259_n.jpg

Sun News. News for idiots. Comedy for sane people.

Is the Trillium comparison really necessary?

Employment is related to boom/bust, not political figure.

Surplus is debateable. They were fudging the numbers and left a 5 Billion dollar deficit after Eves.

Have and Have Not, we'd still be a have not province with a high dollar.

Proroguing the Legislature is questionable.

What precise limits are lacking? It is definitely within the next year. The Sun, of course, is making it sound as though it could be forever.

Saying the legislature will reconvene sometime in the next year.... not really precise. Indefinitely was used correctly. This conversation has turned to semantics.

Will Hudak resign if the NDP wins a minority ?

I doubt it. He's fairly boring that's for sure but the same was true for Harper and look what happened there.

I said it before that I don't think that a one term NDP government majority would necessarily be a bad thing because I feel that some areas have been probably neglected by the Tories and Liberals that could do with some attention from the NDP.

I won't be surprised if they win the next election.

I said it before that I don't think that a one term NDP government majority would necessarily be a bad thing because I feel that some areas have been probably neglected by the Tories and Liberals that could do with some attention from the NDP.

I won't be surprised if they win the next election.

Interesting. The NDP did do some interesting things last time around. I have no idea who would be the best premier.

Interesting. The NDP did do some interesting things last time around. I have no idea who would be the best premier.

Of course they did. I doubt the NDP is silly enough to try anything like that again. I think that some social issues and environmental issues need attention that have been ignored for a long time and think that the NDP would address them. Andrea Horwath is not Bob Rae and she's better looking. Bob Rae thought he was riding in from Oxford to save Ontario and it blew up in his face.

I guess the U.S. border is always available as an option in that case.

FACTS are facts... Your Bias is noted and will be reflected in the credibility of your future posts...

Yes, Have vs "Have-Not" just happens..... Good management vs poor has nothing to do with it right??? The most populated province with highest tax-rate went into Have-Not? Your forgetting that there are many "Have" provinces .. They were financially "Bright enough" to deal with these trying times??

Sun News. News for idiots. Comedy for sane people.

Is the Trillium comparison really necessary?

Employment is related to boom/bust, not political figure.

Surplus is debateable. They were fudging the numbers and left a 5 Billion dollar deficit after Eves.

Have and Have Not, we'd still be a have not province with a high dollar.

Proroguing the Legislature is questionable.

People seem to like to ignore how much this government has increased spending way beyond the rate of inflation. To blame their financial troubles on the economic downturn and Alberta is completely disingenuous. Sure those things played a factor but the primary reason the province's books are in the crapper is because of the government itself.

Also their tactic of freezing wages is only a band-aid solution. In two years (assume, God forbid, they are still in power) when the wage freeze expires there will be the same number of staff that will be demanding raises to make up for the shortfall.

Edited by Boges

The NExt Liberal candidate will run on a platform including "Evening Kindergarten".... Opening up Hunders uppon hundreds of new Unionized Teacher positions.... And the Union scum will vote him in,, exactly as with Dalton McBriber..

People seem to like to ignore how much this government has increased spending way beyond the rate of inflation. To blame their financial troubles on the economic downturn and Alberta is completely disingenuous. Sure those things played a factor but the primary reason the provinces books are in the crapper is because of the government itself.

Also their tactic of freezing wages is only a band-aid solution. In two years (assume, God forbid, they are still in power) when the wage freeze expires there will be the same number of staff that will be demanding raises to make up for the shortfall.

Very few things surprise me about the seemy underworld a.k.a. - politics, but McGuinty's resignation was one of them. When someone at work told me "did you hear, Dalton resigned?" I first thought he was talking about someone at work and was trying to do a quick mental rolodex search for who has the first name "Dalton."

In retrospect, it's hard to believe he was Premier for so long, but, then again, it's hard to get excited about bland Liberal government. Up till now, McGuinty never seem to do enough to make most voters either inspired by him, or hate him enough to work against him. Not many people seem to have ever been enthusiastic supporters, it was always a matter of things are slowly going down the crapper in Ontario, but that's mostly because of forces beyond provincial government control:

Harper: putting tar sands development on full throttle, and turning Canada into a petrostate with a petrodollar that goes up and up and makes imports from third world countries like the U.S. cheaper and cheaper.

TRADE DEALS and more secret trade deals like TransPacific Partnership, which Harper, Obama and kleptocrats across Asia are secretly working out the arrangements to completely seal corporate control of our lives.

The things that really affect the economy in Ontario are beyond the control of Queens Park, and any politician who claims they are going to fix the economy and bring back prosperity, is a liar, whether they're Liberal, Conservative or NDP!

So, what Ontario voters end up with is the choice of selecting the next bland, middle-of-the-road Liberal leader, giving the NDP a try again....after the previous experiment with the NDP ended in disaster....it didn't help that the leader was a secret Liberal, who had no enthusiasm for the objectives that he was presenting as leader, and it was a cast of amateurs to pick for cabinet posts. A bunch of teachers and a few lawyers....Floyd Laughren got Finance because he was once the manager of a K-Mart store....not exactly a stellar cast!

And the Tories -- Harris seemed to create more enemies than supporters during his two terms....and he didn't run for a third because the polls were going south on him, just like McGuinty. But this time around, a vote for the Conservatives would carry much more baggage than it did when Mike Harris was the leader; because Harris stuck to libertarian economic policies for the most part: cutting taxes, looking for ways to bust the teachers unions etc.. Harris had no interest in social policies, as demonstrated when he refused to invoke the notwithstanding clause to stop a Supreme Court decision demanding employers extend group benefits to same-sex couples. You can bet for damn sure that Hudak will be all over that sort of issue, even though he's downplaying it now. For that matter, Hudak is trying to downplay his social policy ideals and objectives because he got burned the last time around, as did John Tory, when he tried to extend education funding to private religious schools. But, once in office, then we will see the real Tim Hudak!

And aside from American-style union-busting of public service unions, I think every thing else he will go for will be social issues once he's in government. In the U.S., when the House Republicans were on the campaign trail, they said nothing about abortion and claimed they would be all about dealing with unemployment (just like Romney/Ryan now); but once they got their majority back, there was virtually nothing else they did in the last session of Congress besides attacking Planned Parenthood and trying to foist "personhood" amendments, and other policies related to access to birth control and abortion. Once they were in, all they cared about was getting in women's vaginas and making them have more babies!

And if you know anything about Hudak's background and who his core supporters were in his run for Party leadership, it will be the same thing if he is in charge. He may claim he's not going to re-open the abortion debate now, because he is a savvy enough politician to know the difference between Mississippi and Ontario. But if he forms a government, it will be a completely different story!