Inside the Rightwing Bubble - a story that Foxnews won't even ment

One of the liberal political podcasts I listen to...which consists of mostly unemployed former reporters/now bloggers and podcasters, was all abuzz with a story of mind-boggling hypocrisy of a Republican tea party-endorsed Congressman named Scott DesJarlais representing a district in Tennessee -- Scott DesJarlais, Pro-Life Republican Congressman And Doctor, Pressured Mistress Patient To Get Abortion

The messy, sordid story comes out of the release of audio evidence that his ex-wife used in divorce proceedings against him in 2001, in which the absolute pro-life...even if the woman's life is at risk congressman and then-practicing MD, had an affair with one of his patients and got her pregnant. This is what Mr. Pro life had to say to her back in 2001:

"You told me you'd have an abortion, and now we're getting too far along without one," DesJarlais tells the woman at one point in the call while negotiating with her over whether he'll reveal her identity to his wife. They then discuss whether he will accompany her to a procedure to end the sort of life the congressman now describes as "sacred."

Among the astonishing factoids of this story is that the recording of the call was made by Scott DesJarlai himself...not the other woman; so he provided the court the evidence that was used to hang him. But, the facts of the case were kept from the public in Tennessee, although we are told that his Democratic opponent in 2010 was given a transcript of the call three days before the election, but says he didn't use it because it was too close the Election and there wasn't time to verify the story. Another question that needs to be addressed is how could Mr. Pro life keep on practicing medicine with no investigation from a medical review panel? Since having an affair with a patient, regardless of consent, would have been a serious violation and would have been grounds to remove his licence to practice medicine. An equally sordid backstory in light of all of the Republican-led voter suppression tactics that are already under way across the U.S., is that Davis was contacted by the Congressman's ex-wife and informed about the story after Davis himself had his name stricken from the voter rolls:

Davis said he ultimately confirmed the authenticity of the transcript himself last spring, almost by accident, when he met with Susan DesJarlais.

Davis had been purged from his local voter rolls in a crackdown on voter fraud by the local GOP. He said that DesJarlais had heard about the purge, and wanted to talk to Davis, suspecting her ex-husband was behind it.

"He had nothing to do with that -- it was just some local pols," Davis told The Huffington Post. But when he met with Susan, it gave him the opportunity to discuss the transcript and the phone call, which the doctor apparently thought would help repair the marriage.

"She said he did it himself. She said the doctor did. She said, 'He recorded it and let me listen to it,'" Davis said. "She confirmed to me that Scott DesJarlais is the one who actually did the recording, and let her listen to it."

In yesterday's update of the story, Huffpo informs us that the Congressman offers up an alibi that everything's okay because the woman didn't end up having an abortion: Scott DesJarlais Admits Romance With Patient, Denies She Had Abortion

In an email to backers Friday evening, DesJarlais -- an anti-abortion, "family values" congressman -- acknowledged they had reason to think poorly of him. But he pleaded for understanding, claiming his fling with the patient occurred while he was legally separated from his then-wife.

"You have probably seen the recent media coverage regarding details of my divorce from over a decade ago. I had genuinely hoped this election would be about my record in Congress -– not a 12 year old divorce," DesJarlais wrote. He charged that his opponent in next month's election, Democratic state Sen. Eric Stewart, was using dirty tricks against him.

"I know that many of you were disappointed to hear the news regarding allegations of a relationship I had while separated during my divorce proceedings," DesJarlais said. "I am deeply sorry for that."

So, Scott DesJarlais feels that his supporters should accept his apology and forgive him his trespasses, even though he tried to coerce a woman he got pregant into having an abortion 11 years ago, while he has been campaigning against other women having the right to an abortion, regardless of circumstance!

How is the GOP reacting to their latest David Vitter? So far it's hard to say. Over at Romneyville, the Romney 2012 campaign website scrubbed the Congressman from their list of endorsed candidates, but hasn't offered an explanation or comment on his removal; while in Congress on Friday, Boehner handed DesJarlais the ceremonial gavel to start...or conclude the proceedings...I forget which it was, and I don't care enough to look it up, but safe to say that Republican cockroaches won't go scurrying away into the crevices unless DesJarlais becomes radioactive and taints other Republicans that are seen with him or heard endorsing him.

And, will Scott DesJarlais get re-elected in his safe, tea party red state district? That is also hard to say, because just checking around the rightwing rumpus room, I'm noticing that this story doesn't show up on Drudge, Foxnews, Red State, or any other right wing "news" sources! If you put DesJarlais's name in Foxnews search term box, all you get is the last story on him written in April; it's like this giant billboard of sheer hypocrisy with the flashing red light can't even be seen through right wing goggles! And loyal, tea party, god-fearing right wingers who won't even look at anything other than their trusted right wing information sources, may never even hear a word about the story....until after the election maybe!

Guest American Woman
[...] will Scott DesJarlais get re-elected in his safe, tea party red state district? That is also hard to say, because just checking around the rightwing rumpus room, I'm noticing that this story doesn't show up on Drudge, Foxnews, Red State, or any other right wing "news" sources! If you put DesJarlais's name in Foxnews search term box, all you get is the last story on him written in April; it's like this giant billboard of sheer hypocrisy with the flashing red light can't even be seen through right wing goggles! And loyal, tea party, god-fearing right wingers who won't even look at anything other than their trusted right wing information sources, may never even hear a word about the story....until after the election maybe!

The voters who were against his campaigning against women's right to have an abortion regardless of the circumstances likely didn't vote for him, so I'm not sure how this would affect his re-election chances as those who would be angry at his hypocritical stance but are against abortion would still likely vote for him over a Democrat who would support women's choice; so whether or not they hear of this likely makes no difference in how they would vote.

Interesting explanation he has, though - he said he was using abortion rhetoric to get her to admit that she wasn't pregnant - it was all a ruse to get her to admit that there was no pregnancy. I'm sure there are those who will buy that, but again, I'm sure they're voters who would vote for him over a pro-choice Democrat regardless.

Guest American Woman

Pro choice people are perfect people who never do the opposite of what they say. It must be awesome to be perfect. How's the life of perfection WIP? you're very holier than thou as well.

Just out of curiosity, how would one act in a way that's opposite of their "pro-choice" stance? You think people who are openly pro-choice are secretly trying to prevent women from having abortions?

Just out of curiosity, how would one act in a way that's opposite of their "pro-choice" stance? You think people who are openly pro-choice are secretly trying to prevent women from having abortions?

No, you're perfect. All pro choice people are perfect and never make mistakes. it's only the evil right wing who make mistakes the left is flawless and perfect...well except when you ask what they've done to improve the economy that is...then they scream about abortion...lol.

Guest American Woman

No, you're perfect. All pro choice people are perfect and never make mistakes. it's only the evil right wing who make mistakes the left is flawless and perfect...well except when you ask what they've done to improve the economy that is...then they scream about abortion...lol.

So you can't answer the question, then. That's what I thought. :)

So you can't answer the question, then. That's what I thought. smile.png

You pro choice people are holier than thou and think you're better then everyone else cause you want to hold hands with the poor and tell everyone they are the same as you are while you drive a benz back to your all white enclave.

Someone has screwed up their life, and out of work reporters entertain themselves with it? I suppose people need entertainment.

So how come the Republicans have screwups running for office? Aren't they the party of God? Aren't they the family values party? Why do they have a lying, adultering would-be abortionist running for office?

So how come the Republicans have screwups running for office? Aren't they the party of God? Aren't they the family values party? Why do they have a lying, adultering would-be abortionist running for office?

LOL! No, they're not the party of God. They just don't boo God at their convention. And believe it or not, but humans are all fallible. Even religious ones. rolleyes.gif

Anyways, this guy sounds like a douche. I probably wouldn't vote for him. But I haven't seen the story covered on any cable news outlet.

The voters who were against his campaigning against women's right to have an abortion regardless of the circumstances likely didn't vote for him, so I'm not sure how this would affect his re-election chances as those who would be angry at his hypocritical stance but are against abortion would still likely vote for him over a Democrat who would support women's choice; so whether or not they hear of this likely makes no difference in how they would vote.

From what I understand, he's in a safe Republican district; but notice the story about Davis - the Democrat who ran against him two years having his own name stricken from the voter rolls! A lot of what I've been hearing about the dysfunction U.S. election system, is that the Republican Party is responding to changing demographics (rising numbers of latinos and asians) by purging voter lists, voter caging schemes, demanding new picture ID, like driver's licences, that will be less common among lower income earners.

A system like we have here in Canada - with a national election commission, cannot be gamed to remove large segments from the population. Here, if you file your taxes every year, you get your election notice sent to you in the mail telling you where your polling station is when the next election is coming up. There have been a few examples of election fraud - mostly fraudulent robo-calls trying to send people to the wrong locations, but just about everyone can exercise their right to vote...if they want to. The first big step is a national election commission that applies uniform rules regarding voting lists and voting methods nationwide; and why the U.S. has never taken that step, is beyond me....although it looks right now that Republicans are likely feeling that they would lose power unless they could game the system to remove enough blacks, latinos, college students, and low income voters of all colors.

Why most of the Democrats have done so little in the face of obvious election fraud by Republicans in Florida and Ohio is another mystery! But, it may break down to the fact that their base has less money than the Republicans, so rather than fight for them, many Democrats try to triangulate their way to curry favour with the same monied interests that support the Republicans. Things could get ugly when some of the Democratic base -- who have their interests ignored time and time again, begin to realize that they have no representation in Washington with the present two party duopoly, and never will by any democratic means.

Interesting explanation he has, though - he said he was using abortion rhetoric to get her to admit that she wasn't pregnant - it was all a ruse to get her to admit that there was no pregnancy. I'm sure there are those who will buy that, but again, I'm sure they're voters who would vote for him over a pro-choice Democrat regardless.

Notice that he went in hiding when the story first broke! The local paper in Chatanooga couldn't get a hold of him or talk to him until he did his Friday morning press conference. It seems it took two days for him and his helpers to come up with this story that he was trying to get her to admit to not really being pregnant. And, for what it's worth, the other woman has never come forward. In the transcript, Desjarlais is trying to coerce her into having an abortion because he says he's trying to reconcile with his wife and doesn't want to be involved with her. So, the story that she wasn't really pregnant and didn't have an abortion is his story, the word of an admitted serial philanderer and liar.

Another thought pops up when I read a story like this, is that it's another example of the old double standard - one law for the rich, one for the poor. If abortion is ever completely outlawed, it will only be applied to those who don't have money and influence. Exceptions will be made for those with money and power to take care of the little problem.

Edited by WIP

Since this thread inevitably turned into the abortion debate...perhaps in record time....let's add this story that comes to us from a Reuters newswire piece from Argentina:

(Reuters) - Rape victims have a right to abortion under Argentine law, but the nation's Supreme Court was forced to intervene this week to ensure that a woman who says she was kidnapped, forced into prostitution and raped could end her pregnancy.

"Abortion is banned in much of Latin America, home to about half the world's Roman Catholics. Argentina is among the countries that allow abortions in cases of rape or when a woman's health is in danger...........................

This woman was the victim of human trafficking, she has been raped and she doesn't want to continue with her pregnancy, which is now in the ninth week of gestation," Vicente said. "She had to endure a protest at her home and her family didn't know the whole story of what had happened to her, so she has unnecessarily had to relive humiliations of all kinds."

In an urgent ruling on Thursday the Supreme Court overturned the lower court's decision and said the abortion could proceed.

The woman, whose name has not been made public, could terminate her pregnancy as early as Friday. Rights group Amnesty International said the delays amounted to "cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment."

No kidding! But see what happens when you put priests and conservative men who get all in a lather about "loose" women, in charge of a woman's reproductive decisions! I would expand the criteria of allowing abortion in cases of rape or incest to be up to the pregnant woman (or girl...let's not forget how early some have become pregnant!) in the early stages of embryo or fetal development. And if there are exceptions to the rule, it would be regarding sex-selection, minor defects that can be easily dealt with....I don't really believe it happens very often, but there might be a few women who think they need perfection, and will keep trying till they get the perfect sonogram.

But, see what happens to that exception of rape and threat to life, when it comes time to apply it in real world circumstances. The last time I got involved with the abortion issue, I came across a couple of stories from New York City, where pregnant women taken to Catholic hospitals because of hemorhaging from internal bleeding were denied treatment by doctors fearing that the guys in the dresses would charge that they had killed the fetus, rather than applying that mumbo jumbo from Aquinas's Law of the Excluded Middle....which is supposed to allow the doctor to allow the fetus to die while saving the mother's life.

In real life, after Rowe v. Wade is rescinded and U.S. conservatives get their long sought re-criminaliziation of abortion, women who don't have means to fly out somewhere where they can have the abortion done will once again face that game of russian roulette that women through the history of the human race were exposed to....and many still are in poor countries...while many who are determined to have an abortion whether it's legal or not, will be going back to the dodgy blackmarket abortionists or taking dangerous drugs that have a high level of causing miscarriage.....and this may be history where we live, but in many third world countries, like a radio report on the subject I heard last year from the Philippines, it's the logical result of what happens when you turn a product or service with a high demand into something illegal! Criminalizing street drugs, prostitution, loansharking, and gambling, didn't make them go away, and neither will abortion in the real world we actually live in!

Arnold Schwarzeneggar was a Republican too. Although he didn't demand an abortion of his maid he still had an affair. Those republicans, ay!

I would never cheat on my maid(Steve Martin).

Maybe Fox news is still trying to verify the facts of the story before they break it to the right wing crowd that they are a party of hypocrits. This is proof positive. John Edwards, come home.

As for abortion, you certainly seem to enjoy the politicization of it. Politicians need to basically cancel all laws regarding it and stay out of the decision making process - making up women's minds for them essentially. A favourable law makes it perfectly acceptable. An unfavourable one make's it perfectly unacceptable. Does society really need to be regulated here?

Personally I think the sanctity of life should be the main consideration. However, I understand pregnancies are sometimes unwanted, for whatever reason, and sometimes even life threatening. The decision is a medical and moral one, not a political one.

Do women really need politicians to approve of their decision-making for them?.

The issue politically is tainted by its concern over the growth of population. China has its one child law, and the State will decide if an abortion is necessary, as an example. The Law in the west won't go that far as it wishes to appear that it is not at all involved in the control of a woman's body but they will sanction the decision to abort - even for purposes beyond legitimate reasons. I consider illegitimate reasons might be when it becomes a form of birth control or in the case of gender selection. But that's my opinion, my personal view. Some may argue that the illegitimate reasons I suggest are entirely legitimate. When and if the majority ever agrees with the latter its a sign the society is already near its end.

Any signs of a new one emerging while we are destroying ours? How about an Islamic society? Sharia law anyone?

Edited by Pliny

Criminalizing street drugs, prostitution, loansharking, and gambling, didn't make them go away, and neither will abortion in the real world we actually live in!

Legalizing these "vices" only gives the government a monopoly where they become the pimp, the drug-dealer and casino operators. Will they encourage customers? Probably.

You're right, Fox News has completely buried this story. Conservative news outlets, however, are covering the story. It's mentioned by Breitbart, The Daily Caller, The Blaze, and Town Hall (to name a few). The conservative media landscape is following this story, which was broken by The Huffington Post. Kudos to the Huffington Post for this story.

EDIT - CNN has also ignored this story.

Edited by kraychik

You're right, Fox News has completely buried this story. Conservative news outlets, however, are covering the story. It's mentioned by Breitbart, The Daily Caller, The Blaze, and Town Hall (to name a few). The conservative media landscape is following this story, which was broken by The Huffington Post. Kudos to the Huffington Post for this story.

EDIT - CNN has also ignored this story.

Thanks, I forgot to check Townhall. I didn't know Breitbart still was going....I guess that's proof that zombies do exist! And Daily Caller and Glenn Beck's site both started up after I lost interest and left the rightwing reservation. Glenn Beck is out of his tree, but it's because of his volatility and unpredictable tendency to hammer Republicans that he got removed from the FoxNews lineup. Most of the right wing bloggers that I still have links to are attention-whores always waiting in the wings to get to talk on FN or Sean Hannity's show etc., so I guess it's no surprise that they would not discuss any story that would be damaging to a Republican.