2012 debates

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ran across this and thought it was pretty funny/clever:

http://www.romneytaxplan.com/

Enjoy smile.png

That is really funny, but it's built on a stupid premise. Romney's explained that he doesn't want to lock box himself into certain commitments about which tax credits to remove or to preserve. He wants to be completely free to make those decisions in negotiations, which is why he isn't giving the "details" at this moment.

That website is a great idea for political marketing, though.

That is really funny, but it's built on a stupid premise. Romney's explained that he doesn't want to lock box himself into certain commitments about which tax credits to remove or to preserve. He wants to be completely free to make those decisions in negotiations

And that is certainly reasonable. However, promising a 20% across the board cut in advance of said negotiations, where the extent of any such cut would necessarily be on the table, is not honest. Nor am I convinced that a 20% cut is even a good idea at this time, America's taxes are low enough as it is that they should not significantly inhibit growth. In fact, just reducing the complexity of the tax system, without lowering tax rates, would possibly save businesses substantial money, as they wouldn't need hundreds of accountants and lawyers just to figure out how to report their taxes optimally. As you may suspect, I am no Obama supporter, but Romney's approach to discussing his economic plan has not been at all satisfactory thus far.

If it was up to me, I would keep overall tax rates where they are, but start closing those loopholes and credits. That would raise revenue to help reduce the deficit, simplify the tax system to save small businesses (that can't afford legions of accountants and lawyers) money, reduce headaches and stress for individuals trying to files their taxes correctly and not fall out of compliance, and re-orient America's economy from useless money-counting back to productivity and innovation.

Anyway, I mostly posted it for the humor smile.png

Edited by Bonam

That is really funny, but it's built on a stupid premise. Romney's explained that he doesn't want to lock box himself into certain commitments about which tax credits to remove or to preserve. He wants to be completely free to make those decisions in negotiations, which is why he isn't giving the "details" at this moment.

That website is a great idea for political marketing, though.

Yah might be why the guy who introduced Romney at convention Rubio came out today to say Romney's tax plan is pretty much impossible eh? I mean not in that many words but he clearly isn't a fan. Ouch.

And that is certainly reasonable. However, promising a 20% across the board cut in advance of said negotiations, where the extent of any such cut would necessarily be on the table, is not honest. Nor am I convinced that a 20% cut is even a good idea at this time, America's taxes are low enough as it is that they should not significantly inhibit growth. In fact, just reducing the complexity of the tax system, without lowering tax rates, would possibly save businesses substantial money, as they wouldn't need hundreds of accountants and lawyers just to figure out how to report their taxes optimally. As you may suspect, I am no Obama supporter, but Romney's approach to discussing his economic plan has not been at all satisfactory thus far.

Not many people like taxes, but given the US debt/deficit situation even people (like Romney) who normally would support across-the-board tax cuts aren't being fiscally prudent. The budget needs to be balanced and the debt taken under control and *gasp* even paid back (though I would wait for the economy to recover more before using surplus to pay back debt). Like you say, taxes are low enough in the US not to prohibit growth much and tax revenue is greatly needed to balance the books, even with major spending cuts. As you said, those loopholes need to be closed to get more revenue and getting people to pay their fare share of taxes.

Romney is fiscally prudent budget-wise, so I think I believe him when he says he will balance the budget. But I think he's being dishonest about how he will do so. The math in the Ryan budget doesn't add up. I think he's talking up the tax cuts and the increased military spending to please his GOP base, but I hope a moderate Pres. Romney would do differently. If Romney didn't have to pander to his base throughout the primaries and could stick to his historically moderate views for this campaign Obama would be in deep trouble. IMO this might cost Mitt the election.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Well damn if Romney isn't still getting in the best body shots in the latest debate. Obama's doing some of what he should have done last debate, but he's not good at confrontations.

Exactly. Romney was great focusing on the economy, and prosecuting Obama on his failed record and broken promises. All Obama could do was lie, and mention that Bin Laden is dead. His presidency is as good as over.

Wiping the floor? That comment shows you are unable to view without bias. The polls on this debate will tell the story.

He's the biggest Obama fanboy in the forum. Possibly in real life. So yeah, pretty much discount everything he says. He wasn't even able to admit that Romney won the first debate either.

He's the biggest Obama fanboy in the forum. Possibly in real life. So yeah, pretty much discount everything he says.

Yeah, pretty much....I have a nude poster of Obama that I....never mind.

He wasn't even able to admit that Romney won the first debate either.

Yeah, I did actually.

Romney stammered and talked creepily about his binders full of women. And he got caught lying about Obama not calling the Libyan attack terrorism immediately. As a result, the CNN debate poll declared Obama the winner.

I see you have the same poster.

Well damn if Romney isn't still getting in the best body shots in the latest debate. Obama's doing some of what he should have done last debate, but he's not good at confrontations.

I rate the debate as a tie, maybe slightly in the direction of an Obama victory.

A pretty even debate, I don't see a clear winner. Obama did a lot better than last time. IMO if you think a certain person won it probably just reflects your personal ideological preference in their answers (i mostly preferred Obama's answers).

Candy Crowley did a phenomenal job as moderator.

It's really funny (and sickening) watching both of these guys clearly lying or ignoring direct questions on many questions just to score points. No wonder so many politicians are lawyers. Debates are like watching 2 lawyers shoveling out the BS trying to convince a jury (voters) who don't really know who to believe.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

A pretty even debate, I don't see a clear winner. Obama did a lot better than last time. IMO if you think a certain person won it probably just reflects your personal ideological preference in their answers,

You're probably right. But Obama stunk so bad last time, that all he had to do is speak in complete sentences and he'd come out looking decent.